A Place You Have To Try!

Backwoods

I went to the BBQ Sandwich KIng restaurent, (and he is a sponser), and I wast to tell you Americans looking for a back home burger, today was a exceptional surprise! The Metroburger I ordered, looked even better than the picture on the menu!! It was loaded with all the goodies, his own sauce, and a real pickle, not just a jar decoration! On top of the burger, it was served with Tater Tots and his own Texas style BBQ sauce, that will force me return for more!! Wife had a quesadilla that was big as I've ever seen and she loved it!!! We also had some of his chicken wings, and the sauce was great on them as well. To top all that off we sampled his BBQ ribs, pork loin, and chicken, all with that great texas smokehouse taste, and was impressed enough to get an order of ribs to take home as well!! If all that wasn't enough, out came his own creation, a Brownie Split, warmed just right with ice cream and topped with honey and whole almonds an served with a split banana for the right touch!!

I have search for the 2 years I've been here to get just a decent burger, and can tell you, this burger from here is the beast and was the best brger I have had in a very long time and best I have found in Thailand! He is friendly and provides a home touch, and made me feel at home. I will definately return,Often, and you can tell hime Jesse sent you, if you decide to give it a try!!! Nice to be able to pass on positive info, and Mark gets five stars from me!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the place way out in Nonthaburi?

i hate hearing about great places that are almost impossible to get to without a great deal of effort. :)

I can recommend a great little restaurant at Scott base in the Antarctic but its one hel-l of a trip.:D

Yes, that's the place way out in Nonthaburi, which powderpuff, jfchandler and I all recommend. The only thing left is for Mark to improve the delivery options available, or else find a location closer to town.

If you are out there, it is excellent food.

http://www.bbqsandwichking.co.th/ for those of you too lazy to find the banner.

Edited by onethailand

Sorry, I didn't put addresses, but yes it is in Nonthaburi, 78 Samkhee Rd

bbqsandwichking.co.th

Menu and all info on his site including prices, and is worth the time to make the trip. It is a small owner operated place with english speaking staff, and the owner Mark Grygiel, is interesting enough, we spent several hours just BSing!! His BBQ items are smoked with real hickory, not liquid smoke! Check out his site, I'll be back again this comming week!!

Mark does quite good food at BBQ Sandwich King, and I do indeed recommend it.

His current location is quite a haul from central BKK and no good mass transit option available AFAIK...

I know Mark's been looking for quite some time to set up some kind of operation more in the center of town, but that hasn't come to fruition as of yet.

Meanwhile, on the burger and ribs front, I'd say his MetroBurger and BBQ ribs are getting quite a bit of competition from Duke's Express in the Emporium shopping center.

I quite like both restaurants. Duke's is 10 minutes on BTS from my home. BBQ Sandwich King is a 45 minute drive if Powderpuff takes his car. Guess which restaurant I'm frequenting more often these days?

hello to all the thai visa forum folks.

i'd like to take this opportunity to introduce you to bbq sandwich king: www.bbqsandwichking.co.th you'll be able to find out most things by simply visiting our web site. Yes, we are asponsor, so there's a banner add to click on as well, in case you missed it. rolleyes.gif

we are about a 100-baht taxi ride down from the new immigration center, which is on chaeng wattana road, so why don't you turn your visa stuff into a culinary joyride! licklips.gif

we've been open for about 2.5 years now, with basically nothing but excellent feedback on everything we offer. if you do an internet search for us, you'll find quite a few links to various web sites; farang- and thai-oriented.

anyhoo, the ultimate test is in the taste buds of our valued customers, and we hope that you'll come on in and treat yourself to a truly mouth-watering experience and be your own judge. cowboy.gif

there will eventually be a bbq sandwich king in central bangkok, but the political turmoil has delayed our entry there.

in the meantime, thank you very much for reading this and we look forward to serving you in the very near future.welcomeani.gif

best regards,

mark j grygiel

owner/operator

p.s. we are also, to the best of my knowledge, the only place in thailand where you can get an authentic, chicago-style, all-beef hotdog on a poppy seed bun. they're extremely unique and extremely delicious. I'm a hybrid american; my roots are in the north and the south!

Edited by BBQSandwichKing

Had a Dr appt next to Emporium Mall, so decided to check out Marks compitition, Dukes Express. The ribs there are fall off the bone, but kind of too much and almost mushy, and sauce to sweet, more like a sweet and sour sauce! The burgers beteen the two are hard to compare, because they are not the same!! Mark has a fresh burger, fresh everything on it and is a standard American Bacon cheeseburger, Dukes has flavored burgers, Cajun, blue cheese, chili, and were good, but if I want a good burger, I don't want it dresssed to taste like something else. For the ribs, Marks had more meat, a better smokey taste, and a unique Texas style sauce, and I like the tate tots too. Both were good, but for the statement of best burger, I still say Marks at BBQ Sandwich King is the best!!

Mark does quite good food at BBQ Sandwich King, and I do indeed recommend it.

His current location is quite a haul from central BKK and no good mass transit option available AFAIK...

I know Mark's been looking for quite some time to set up some kind of operation more in the center of town, but that hasn't come to fruition as of yet.

Meanwhile, on the burger and ribs front, I'd say his MetroBurger and BBQ ribs are getting quite a bit of competition from Duke's Express in the Emporium shopping center.

I quite like both restaurants. Duke's is 10 minutes on BTS from my home. BBQ Sandwich King is a 45 minute drive if Powderpuff takes his car. Guess which restaurant I'm frequenting more often these days?

John, when I see you walking down Soi 8 in your light blue pants, is that Powderpuff by your side?  :)

What I can't figure out is the fact that everyone raves about this place - those anyway that have make the overnight trek to Nonthaburi for a taste.

But if it is so very good, why not move it / or open a branch closer to farangland in the heart of the city? Need someone to run it - I am looking for a new job and know my way around good food.  :)

What I can't figure out is the fact that everyone raves about this place - those anyway that have make the overnight trek to Nonthaburi for a taste.

But if it is so very good, why not move it / or open a branch closer to farangland in the heart of the city? Need someone to run it - I am looking for a new job and know my way around good food. :)

I believe Mark said he plans on a location In BKK but plans were delayed with the protests. I will ask him when I make it out there as I would love to see it too!

Had a Dr appt next to Emporium Mall, so decided to check out Marks compitition, Dukes Express. The ribs there are fall off the bone, but kind of too much and almost mushy, and sauce to sweet, more like a sweet and sour sauce! The burgers beteen the two are hard to compare, because they are not the same!! Mark has a fresh burger, fresh everything on it and is a standard American Bacon cheeseburger, Dukes has flavored burgers, Cajun, blue cheese, chili, and were good, but if I want a good burger, I don't want it dresssed to taste like something else. For the ribs, Marks had more meat, a better smokey taste, and a unique Texas style sauce, and I like the tate tots too. Both were good, but for the statement of best burger, I still say Marks at BBQ Sandwich King is the best!!

I'm guessing that by fresh you are actually meaning "plain." Duke's Emporium also has a "plain" 1/4 lb. burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle and hand cut fries. The fries are cut fresh everyday from real potatoes. Duke's grinds the meat, sirloin tip, for its burgers everyday, it is never frozen, and cooks the buns fresh throughout the day. They use fresh icegerg lettuce and beefsteak tomatoes from Chiang Mai. They also make fresh dill pickles that come on each plate. All the sauces for the burgers, the horseradish mayonnaise, the chili mayonnaise and the 1000 Island spread is made in house everyday as are all the salad dressings. Now that's as fresh as it gets.

As far as comparisons are concerned, Duke's just tries to do the best job that it can with the freshest and best ingredients and at a good price.

Edited by getgoin

But if it is so very good, why not move it / or open a branch closer to farangland in the heart of the city? Need someone to run it - I am looking for a new job and know my way around good food.  :)

Some expats don't like living in bangkok. It's noisy, dirty and not to mention expensive. Nonthaburi is 20 mins from downtown by subway. so if we want some craziness we aren't that far away :D

Lots of expats in nonthaburi and the surrounding areas to support a place like that. I've never been to this BBq place but plan to go this weekend. I have been to the new york deli down the street on soi samakee tho.

Greg

But if it is so very good, why not move it / or open a branch closer to farangland in the heart of the city? Need someone to run it - I am looking for a new job and know my way around good food.   :)

Some expats don't like living in bangkok. It's noisy, dirty and not to mention expensive. Nonthaburi is 20 mins from downtown by subway. so if we want some craziness we aren't that far away  :D

Lots of expats in nonthaburi and the surrounding areas to support a place like that. I've never been to this BBq place but plan to go this weekend. I have been to the new york deli down the street on soi samakee tho.

Greg

Understood Greg - but down here you have a captive audience not only of falang and Thai office workers per say and that thing we used to call a tourist.  ;)

The U.S. Embassy has its housing compound for employees located nearby the location of BBQ Sandwich King. That, I believe, at least partly accounts for its current location.

But indeed, Mark is looking to open some kind of presence in the central BKK area sometime in the future. I have to believe that any kind of reasonable central BKK location would be likely to draw more patrons than the current Nonthaburi locale.

BBQ Sandwich King has a variety of good offerings for eats... It's just a shame that it can't be located in an area more central to its most likely patrons.

Your just scared going into Nothaburi in case you meet up with me :lol:

Im in nothaburi and i go to ngam wong wan quite often. I will have to see once if this is better as sizler or not. And i have to see if i can find it if my bike gets fixed.. or my car arrives before my bike is fixed

But if it is so very good, why not move it / or open a branch closer to farangland in the heart of the city? Need someone to run it - I am looking for a new job and know my way around good food.   :)

Your just scared going into Nothaburi in case you meet up with me  :lol:

Im in nothaburi and i go to ngam wong wan quite often. I will have to see once if this is better as sizler or not. And i have to see if i can find it if my bike gets fixed.. or my car arrives before my bike is fixed

Rob, I am not scared of you mate, but the thought of going near the in laws makes me lose my appetite.

Your just scared going into Nothaburi in case you meet up with me  :lol:

Rob, I am not scared of you mate, but the thought of going near the in laws makes me lose my appetite.

That is a much better reason.. :lol:

I am going to check this place out for sure. Im curious where exactly it is and how the food is. Might be a good place to bring my dad when he is in Thailand again. He doesn't like rice that much and that limits his food options :D

Nice, I live near there and will be checking them out this weekend.

I imagine they located here because of its close proximity to Nichida Thani, which is home to ISB and a large, well to do, American expatriate community.