Offshore Drilling Roustabout Work

Hi,

I am living in Nongbualamphu and running a small karaoke bar that has unfortunately fallen on hard times! Same old story... I was talking to a couple of fellow expats who mentioned the possibility of roustabout or roughneck work, on board an offshore drilling platform. Now this seems to be the type of work that appeals to me and I would imagine my other people living out here in LOS.

Does anybody work in this field and could maybe help me find a position or know somebody that does? Or any other overseas work for that matter!

I would be very grateful for any help renderedsmile.gif

Without any experience of working offshore your chances of getting this type of work here are about zero. Roustabout and roughneck are the the labourers of the offshore game and as such here they are taken by local, cheap labour. There are plenty of experienced offshore guys trying to get a kick in around the Gulf.The only way you will get a kick in is to know an OIM or similar. Thats the way it works. its not what you know but rather who you know in the oil and gas game. Good luck

Without any experience of working offshore your chances of getting this type of work here are about zero. Roustabout and roughneck are the the labourers of the offshore game and as such here they are taken by local, cheap labour. There are plenty of experienced offshore guys trying to get a kick in around the Gulf.The only way you will get a kick in is to know an OIM or similar. Thats the way it works. its not what you know but rather who you know in the oil and gas game. Good luck

Youre right about the rousty work, but i disagree with you with regards to its who you know ... I done a few courses 18-24 months ago spent about 12 grand sterling, and now have a 18 month contract in Kazahkstan on money that most guys with 10yrs experience would be happy with. Im employed for what i know as opposed to whom i know.

Most wont even entertain you if you have not done your pan-european ticket, medical and dentist checks. like any job if you know someone who can help get you a start all the better but do have your tickets etc at the ready.

Forget it. No chance in Thai Territorial waters as amongst other things you will not get a work permit. As a roustabout or any other type of labouring profession you will be flat out getting a job anywhere in Asia.

Im employed for what i know as opposed to whom i know.

I tend to agree with this. I certainly didn't apply but was asked to fly out to the Benchamas field (Gulf of Thailand) from Perth WA to look at a problem. What was supposed to be 2 weeks, with one thing leading to another, dragged on for 3 years. Still here 6 years further down the track, retired. :)

Anyway this is not helping the OP, good luck anyway with what ever you try to take on.