Is It Illegal To Own A Pet Snake In Thailand?

I am looking into renting a house and when I spoke with the real estate agent about having pets she said that it was illegal for me to own any snake, and if the neighbours saw it and called the police, I could get in serious trouble. Is it true that I cannot own ANY snake in Thailand? If not, what snakes am I allowed to own?

Thanks

Is it true that I cannot own ANY snake in Thailand?

It appears not based on this quote:

According to snake experts, National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation Department was also suggested to control python breeding standards for proper pet snake businesses, while the value of Thailand’s ability to breed the reptiles is estimated to be at over Bt700 million. (TNA)
Source

Obviously though endangered species and possibly poisonous snakes would not be allowed.

Just to add to it in regards of being sure what you are buying is legal:

The sale and purchase of all protected Thai wildlife species is illegal. And if foreign species have found their way onto the market through illegal wildlife trade, tourists and visitors who participate in the release of these animals are in fact contributing to the illegal import and trade in wildlife.
Source TAT News

I am definitely not interested in buying anything that is illegal. It struck me as very odd that she would say ALL snakes are illegal to own. Thanks for your help Tywais.

Pushit, I guess it's the same as not being able to "own" a cat, dog, horse, chicken, pig, etc....you just merely imprison them too. Bad karma for all, I say!!!!