Farang Style Restaurant In Udon Thani

petemcc

There is a wealth of information here about Farang food in Thailand, and I suppose I am too lazy to troll through the posts, even using a search.

What is the current state of play on Farang-type establishments in Udon Thani, and I mean like real breakfasts and fish and chips, and curries as a takeaway?

Also, or I suppose if the above answer is favourable, is it better to buy an established premises or just get a shop somewhere and kit it out?

Circumstances mean I may have to move to UTH and I am afraid my various qualifications won't help me much, but food I know!

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers.

Any thoughts or advice?

Go to the right (Udon) forum and don't be so lazy about something that is fairly important. You may get some help, but Is unlikely that anyone is going to do your work for you.

Have done, not much there of help.

I know only, Udonmap.com for information. And I know that you have the German NOBBIS REST. in Udon city in which you get German style food, also a lot, frozen food for take away.

To Microwave at home. There (is) was a similar, but not so sophisticated second German Rest. in Udon City, which did a similar business-with take aways also bread, but the owner died not long ago and unsure what his wife is now doing.

From the English, Australiens, Italiens, I do nothing know.

I know only, Udonmap.com for information. And I know that you have the German NOBBIS REST. in Udon city in which you get German style food, also a lot, frozen food for take away.

To Microwave at home. There (is) was a similar, but not so sophisticated second German Rest. in Udon City, which did a similar business-with take aways also bread, but the owner died not long ago and unsure what his wife is now doing.

From the English, Australiens, Italiens, I do nothing know.

Restaurants catering for Westerners are fairly plentiful and certainly not a new idea.

Among them are:

The Irish Clock

Deuters

Fuzzy Kens

Richmond Steak House

Up2U bar and Restaurant

Nobis

Jinjoes

Piccola Roma

Elephant Blanc

Aussie Bar & Restaurant

Sizzlers

Fiddlers Green

Steves Bar & Restaurant.

To name a few.

Look up the Udon map guide to find locations.

Hi Pete

I must firstly admit to NOT knowing the area you intend to settle and I would suggest

talking to farang business owners but not too specific, just generalise. I suspect its quite an uphill

struggle getting established and meeting all the Thai obstacles along the way. Please do not think I am being

negative, just realistic and I wish you luck (you will need it).

The good news is,you are not considering opening a bar in Pattaya

:)

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Thanks. Yes, opening a bar in Pattaya, mmm I suppose there's one born every minute!

Typical of all small businesses, a lot seem to fail within a year of opening. I checked through some of the businesses mentioned in this thread and a fair few seem to be closed now. I shall most certainally do some research when I am across next month.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

you are correct, the list needs some major updating.

The Irish Clock............looking for new management, unless very good, sadly they may follow the city lodge to closure.

Deuters....................the one w/german who just passed, RIP, wife/family are carrying on quite well.

Fuzzy Kens.................still there, inexpensive happy hour beer, mostly brit fare.

Richmond Steak House.......closed

Up2U bar and Restaurant....still operating out of nutty park area, with at least 10 other competitors

Nobis......................one of my favorites, hard to beat.

Jinjoes....................or restaurant manager at jinjoes (also a guesthouse) just thru in the towel, sure it will remain open w/no changes.

Piccola Roma...............used to be a regular, still doing good

Elephant Blanc.............never been

Aussie Bar & Restaurant....hmm, this is a tough one, couple different versions, most closed, aussie pub i think closed or moved to nutty park, aussie bar sold and renamed lalita's, recently closed. aussie bar 2 / koala bar....recently reopened. aussie bar ???/down under bar/molly mallones, all same location i believe, different owners, closed.

Sizzlers...................yikes, overpriced shit, IMHO.

Fiddlers Green.............drove by today, either closed, or moved.

Steves Bar & Restaurant....one of the originals, still going strong i believe, though farang partner passed last year, RIP.

not on you list and 2 of my favorites

TJ's.............another original from way back, american fare, excellent and good prices

Book House and Coffee...........newer, about a year old, restaurant and book store, slow start, but now doing very good.

UD TOWN just opened up, McD, chesters, jeffers, oishi and subsidaries of oishi, along with few others, seem to be doing ok, well, maybe not checters grill. oishi and subsidaries are waiting lines every day.

along with three well priced night markets, and every other soi seems to turn into a restaurant soi at night, so if you go with this idea, your competition will be tough. you better have a good niche, be one hel_l of a cook, and don't mind working 12-16 hours a day for very little. and of course staffing will always be a problem. along with parking. and i haven't even discussed the bbq / all you can eat from 69-99 baht places that are packed.

so good luck. may i suggest and extended vacation in udon, am month or so, and see what you competition has to offer. my favorites are TJ's, Nobi's, BOOK HOUSE AND COFFEE. IF you can compete with them,, you may have a chance. DO NOT BUY AN ESTATBLISHED PLACE, THEY ARE ALL OVERPRICED. If you know management and cooking, the irish clock is looking for a new management team to take offer. advantage here is rooms to rent, rather full most times, so a lot of overheard paid for.

figure about 100 places if failed or don't know about, and that is your situation. udon is an excellent food town, good for us expats, keeps things cheap, bad for business people, just not enough customers to go around.

again.........GOOD LUCK. one advantage to udon, is clost to laos for any visa issues, but things do seem to get tighter and a yearly basis. don't forget, you can't own anything, and must have a partner, and the BIB will be stopping in every now and then..................so you have to be legal, or you profits are minimal.

My 0.02 as someone who visits Udon regularly but doesn't live there. Personally I don't think Udon needs another pub or bar-food place.

As well as variety with food we are always looking for somewhere that can deal with kids. Our daughter is a pre-teen, quiet and well behaved but she does get bored sitting around the Mum and Dad waiting for us to finish our coffee or eat our meal after she bolts down her chips. Most pub-type places full of old farang guys don't cope with kids very well (sorry guys, woman's point of view here). Something with a play area or entertainment area for kids would be great, especially somewhere that could offer some space for older kids - doesn't have to be large or elaborate, maybe some toys, kids tables, drawing pencils/paper, TV/DVD and a few beanbags.

Also all the expat families that come down from Vientiane for shopping seem to have plenty of money to splash around. If you could get some of that market, you might be onto something - maybe by advertising in the Vientiane newspaper. I know the Italian place next to the Centara Hotel and Central does excellent business with the Vientiane folk on weekends, not sure about other times. I'm guessing because it's convenient to the mall it's in a good place to capture walk-ins.

• 8 years later...

Hiya all if  anyone is near Udon Thani then a Place called JB Guest House and Sports Bar just outside Udon Thani City Centre is theeee place to go for a Good British Indian Curry (BIR).At the moment they have Chicken Curry,Chicken Madras and Chicken Vindaloo.They also have British Plain Pompadoms and the Currys really are the Genuine article.I know that their Menu is going to be added to soon with Chicken Bhuna,Chicken Pathia and British Style Onion Bhajis.They can also make any Curry Super Spicy if that is Your thing.As I said this place is also a Gust House with a nice Swimming Pool which is handy as their Curry is worth Travelling for.

4 minutes ago, BarrieSawadee said:

Hiya all if  anyone is near Udon Thani then a Place called JB Guest House and Sports Bar just outside Udon Thani City Centre is theeee place to go for a Good British Indian Curry (BIR).At the moment they have Chicken Curry,Chicken Madras and Chicken Vindaloo.They also have British Plain Pompadoms and the Currys really are the Genuine article.I know that their Menu is going to be added to soon with Chicken Bhuna,Chicken Pathia and British Style Onion Bhajis.They can also make any Curry Super Spicy if that is Your thing.As I said this place is also a Gust House with a nice Swimming Pool which is handy as their Curry is worth Travelling for.

Pataks or Sharwoods?  And do the curries give you wind to make it a GUST House?   lol