Pda Phones With Internet

sundevil

Anyone have any recommendations on PDA phones for use in Thailand? I would like to be able to get on the internet (gprs or WAP I think). I would also like the ability to sync my phone with my pc to upload/download outlook contacts and info. ANy info, recommendations, prices, or tips are much appreciated.

There are quite a few around now. Just take a trip to Fortune Plaza and have a good wander about the computer levels.

The O2 is ok, as is the HP 6365 (model number varies a bit), but HP are also producing a new pocket pc model, the 'mobile messenger', due out any day now. This will have built in phone, EDGE for mobile internet access, a thumb board for easy texting/messaging. Looks quite nice, except the screen is a bit cut down (240x240) to accomodate the thumboard.

Other options...there's a weird looking Nokia available with a big screen, Motorola produced a Linux-based PDA phone recently, there's a new one just come out by Laser too, looks quite nice (400MHz chip) but I haven't used it. There's also a reasonable looking Treo, if you like Palm devices...

I've always had great luck with the Windows Mobile devices. Had a couple Pocket PCs. Now I've got a Windows Mobile smartphone, one of the HTC ones (not sure the brand in Thailand) but it's great - syncs with my Outlook email, calendar and contacts. Can use the browser to check Hotmail.

If you want a QWERTY keyboard or styles then it's not the thing but to have the sync of my core desktop stuff + Internet + Windows Media player and a bunch of applications in my mobile phone is somethig I like.

I have also been looking around for a decent compact PDA phone, and was considering either the O2 xda mini (Bht 28,000) or the Asus P505 (Bht 21,000). Both of these are pretty small pocket PCs running MS Windows Mobile, and appear to have similar specs - no wi-fi but apparently you can buy a Sandisk memory card with this built in... :o

Although the O2 looks much better, the cheaper price of the Asus will probably be the deciding factor. Does anyone have any experience with the Asus P505?

My other question is whether browsing the internet on these devices has similar layout and graphic content as a proper PC (but obviously with a smaller screen :D ), or whether it is the same text-heavy wap version that you get with a normal GPRS handphone?

Cheers

Rags

PalmOne Treo rules. The 600 is now cheap (12-15K ?). 650 is about 29K but has more options like better screen, camera, bluetooth etc.

The best feature for both is the QWERTY keyboard.

Forget about Wi-Fi in BKK. Maybe two dozen places where you can login free, and another 50 where you pay a (hefty) price. Nothing like other major cities.

Anyone have any recommendations on PDA phones for use in Thailand?  I would like to be able to get on the internet (gprs or WAP I think).  I would also like the ability to sync my phone with my pc to upload/download outlook contacts and info.  ANy info, recommendations, prices, or tips are much appreciated.

If you ever wanna buy a PDA make sure it could you a wi-fe connection...i recomend the new O2 or HP PDA with Wi-Fi

Now I do want to 'connect' with my wife, never thought about using a PDA though, kinky :o:D

My other question is whether browsing the internet on these devices has similar layout and graphic content as a proper PC (but obviously with a smaller screen wink.gif ), or whether it is the same text-heavy wap version that you get with a normal GPRS handphone?

In most cases you will be looking at the 'desktop' vesion of a site. Very few sites have PDA or WAP versions. In WM 2003 the browser has a nice 'one column' feature. This basically cuts up a multi-column page and stacks the columns on top of one another so that you can view the whole page by scrolling up and down. Works very well (but works best on a PDA witha VGA screen).

(Once you've used a VGA screen on a PDA you will never go back, phone or no phone).

Agree re. VGA screen.

Re. sites, try www.skweezer.net

My other question is whether browsing the internet on these devices has similar layout and graphic content as a proper PC (but obviously with a smaller screen wink.gif ), or whether it is the same text-heavy wap version that you get with a normal GPRS handphone?

In most cases you will be looking at the 'desktop' vesion of a site. Very few sites have PDA or WAP versions. In WM 2003 the browser has a nice 'one column' feature. This basically cuts up a multi-column page and stacks the columns on top of one another so that you can view the whole page by scrolling up and down. Works very well (but works best on a PDA witha VGA screen).

(Once you've used a VGA screen on a PDA you will never go back, phone or no phone).

Whatever you do, do NOT buy the HP Ipaq 6365. Now I may be being judegemental becasue you may like to throw expensive electronic devices at very hard surfaces, which if you do, then the HP would make a wonderful purchase. If you prefer those expensive electronic devices to actually work for you, then all you should do with the 6365 is wave at it as you walk past and be thankful that you don't own one!! I did by the way (in case you hadn't realised) and tempting as the wall option was, I returned in first thing the next morning..pure, unadulterated concrete fodder!

My advice would be to get yourself a decent smartphone...the O2 mini looked good to me, but a bit pricey here..or the palm 650 looks good too if you don't mind palm products...

here is the link to the Nokia phone I think Crushdepth was referring to above:

http://reviews.cnet.com/Nokia_N770_Interne...html?tag=promo2

happy hunting!