Google Readying Paypal Rival

udon

News [internet]

Monday 20th June 2005

Google readying PayPal rival 12:48PM

Google is to start an online payment service to rival PayPal, according to reports.

The New York Times (NYT) says it has heard from an online retailer claiming to have been approached by Google to participate in the scheme. It also claims another industry insider reported having heard of such a service under the moniker Google Wallet.

And at an investor conference on Friday the Wall Street Journal also reported the initiative came under discussion.

Google has also earlier filed documents with the SEC to establish the Google Payments Corporation.

Quite what the service in its final incarnation will look like, no-one, including Google, is willing to say. Online portals such as Amazon and

Yahoo offer 'wallet' services that store credit card details safely in one place so that customers don't have to type them into each online shop they buy from. But the NYT's sources say the Google deal will be much closer to PayPal, which hooks accounts to credit cards so that users can pay individuals as well as merchants and can transfer money in and out.

Google currently makes its money from advertising within its hugely popular search service. Its Froogle service searches online stores for the best price on a given product, but its own payment service would be a significant step forward from that.

It has engaged heavily in building and finding out about its userbase, most notably in offering the free Gmail webmail service with 2GB of storage.

But should it successfuly establish Google Wallet as a popular way to pay with its users, it will be able to make money by charging fees for payments and other transactions in the same way PayPal does. It will also have to hook it into a service that requires such a payment method, such as eBay. But with eBay having bought PayPal two years ago, it is unlikely to be a ready customer.

Yet rumours around Google launching a classifieds service are already long in the tooth, so perhaps the company has already explored some way down that road.

Matt Whipp

wow if this is true then it sould be good for Thai webmaster to get their money from google adsene and buys online ...As you know paypal is not very good for thais as they cant wire the money earn selling to a local bank account here....

problem is that thailand does not like money is going out of the country, second Thailand is also famouse for fraud and third might be not big enough market for such payment options.

anyway paypal in Europe is reporting their customer details to the revenue departments (if more than a unknown amount of Euro) for preventing money laundry.

That really sucks :o

wow if this is true then it sould be good for Thai webmaster to get their money from google adsene and buys online ...As you know paypal is not very good for thais as they cant wire the money earn selling to a local bank account here....

In a country where you may pay 50-60 % from your income to the revenue department it may happen that you forget some money you made on Ebay, in a short moment of Alzheimer.

:o

That really sucks

Only when you are in the laundry business. BTW What do you do for a living. :D

IT sucks that there are lots of fraud on thailand...If i am to open an online store shopping cart and when customer check on the whois domain..if they get to knwo that the domain is a registered thai owner they would not buy the product from a thai based site......

And also thai goverment is eaating lots of money from tax from a small owned business....thats really sucks...no wonder lots of companies here closed due to the goverment too greedy till the local small companies owned by farang usually closed 3 out of 10 yearly

Whois: I don't know what you sell, but not many people look into whois.

I sell consol game releated things, and some of my US customer do not even know that there are other countries than USA on this planet. So whatever the hear from outside makes them afraid.

yes revenue department here also sucks

IT sucks that there are lots of fraud on thailand...If i am to open an online store shopping cart and when customer check on the whois domain..if they get to knwo that the domain is a registered thai owner they would not buy the product from a thai based  site......

And also thai goverment is eaating lots of money from tax from a small owned business....thats really sucks...no wonder lots of companies here closed due to the goverment too greedy till the local small companies owned by farang usually closed 3 out of 10 yearly

Well if there is a foreighner that could stand up for other foreighner in terms of reiewing the law here for foreigner company set up it will be good...But most of the foreigner here doesnt want to get too involves with thai official...

The Thai goverment should atleast give some opportunites to small foreign investor....

Look at Singapore,MAlaysia,Brunei Darussalam...These countries are more better than thailand..Their rules for foreighner are not that tight...

Insingapore even the CLeanner Job is a Malaysian,Computer tech is Indians and factory pruduction jobs mostly Chinese and they do not have the rules for Salary Cap like thailand does 45k Baht...

If thailand wants to be among the leading country in the World they should follows the footsteps like Malaysia and singapore....

Let in more foreign staff in the coutry and take off the 45kbaht rules and also job restriction for foreighner,,, in this way im sure alot of companies will take in foreign worker to make their company to the next higher level....

any comments ???

well I got the contract for accepting Visa+Mastercard only because I am a foreigner. They told they would not give for a new thai company. As well we helped a little bit with 5000 Baht coffee money.

I would say it is not only against foreigner, many other rules are from a different century. As well the 45k Baht, it is different for different nationalities. What is somehow funny.

In my case they asked for an explanation why the company needs an expensive farang. Specialy funny, because it is my company!!!!!

With these rules Thailand will keep backwards.....

Well if there is a foreighner that could stand up for other foreighner in terms of reiewing the law here for foreigner company set up it will be good...But most of the foreigner here doesnt want to get too involves with thai official...

The Thai goverment should atleast give some opportunites to small foreign investor....

Look at Singapore,MAlaysia,Brunei Darussalam...These countries are more better than thailand..Their rules for foreighner are not that tight...

Insingapore even the CLeanner Job is a Malaysian,Computer tech is Indians and factory pruduction jobs mostly Chinese and they do not have the rules for Salary Cap like thailand does 45k Baht...

If thailand wants to be among the leading country in the World they should follows the footsteps like Malaysia and singapore....

Let in more foreign staff in the coutry and take off the 45kbaht rules and also job restriction  for foreighner,,, in this way im sure alot of companies will take in foreign worker to make their company to the next higher level....

any comments ???

yes you are right The Rules here are very Backward....They must improves and look forward to the future...If im not mistaken thaksin have the 2010 vision of Bangkok being the World Best City ....I think Thailand will not make it by 2010...Look at their communication system they still are lack of internet connection speed....In Korea the connection for public use is 100mbps so its damm fast...

If Bangkok wants to be the Leading city in the world by 2010 they should let in more foreighner....Kick off the 45k or 65k baht minimum for foreighner depending on their Nationality....And also the company registration of 51% to 49% ruls must be trown out....

Its all nonesense....

If you look at Singapore they have achives their target ....Still foreign worker rules in Singapore....As there are many lazy local ass there who does not wants to work....

Its the same in Thailand Job opportunity here is very limited the the local salary here is not up to the expectation...

They should allow more foreign comapny and foreign small investor to invest without alot of hassle or tax payment so that they will create jobs for the locals

If only the Thai goverment read all THAIVISA.COM forum thread they could learn alot from the Foreigner point f view...

I think they are slowly trying to keep up the pace from other country....

LAst year the Thai goverment have invited the MInistry of education singapore to give them advice and set up the education system for thailand...these is a sign that thailand is slowly picking up by asking foreign country to help them in their education system....

They should also start work out in other area as soon if they wanna achives the 2010 vision....

Just forget that Thaksin blabla.

First corruption must be stopped, but the gouverment is corrupt itself.

Than the school system must be completly changed.

Not educated people -- no leading city

Even if they try their best, 5 years are not enough.

But I don't see anyone try anything.....

Instead of improving the internet speed, they try to censor it.

They can be happy if they don't get a crisis like 1997 till 2010.

yes you are right The Rules here are very Backward....They must improves and look forward to the future...If im not mistaken thaksin have the 2010 vision of Bangkok being the World Best City ....I think Thailand will not make it by 2010...Look at their communication system they still are lack of internet connection speed....In Korea the connection for public use is 100mbps so its damm fast...

If Bangkok wants to be the Leading city in the world by 2010 they should let in more foreighner....Kick off the 45k or 65k baht minimum for foreighner depending on their Nationality....And also the company registration of 51% to 49% ruls must be trown out....

Its all nonesense....

If you look at Singapore they have achives their target ....Still foreign worker rules in Singapore....As there are many lazy local ass there who does not wants to work....

Its the same in Thailand Job opportunity here is very limited the the local salary here is not up to the expectation...

They should allow more foreign comapny and foreign small investor to invest without alot of hassle or tax payment so that they will create jobs for the locals

hahaha LOL you are absolutely correct instead of upgrading the internet connection they censor website....Even singapore malaysia or other foreign countries does not do that too much....

5 year to hit the Target is not enough Malaysian goverment target 2020 from year 1990that is 30 years GAP...and Thailand only 5 years and dreamming of becoming World leading Cities?? Get real..!!!!

Look at the Local Tv Station .... All the English movies that is shown on ITV or Channal 7 are all being translet to Thai ...they have the option to change it to thai or english and offcource lots of local more likely to watch English movies in Thai LAnguage...They should not do this...The Tv station should just put up a Thai Subtittle to all the english movies instead of dual sound..... Well how can their people improves english with Dual Sound still avainlable....

And how do their Thai Soap Opera wants to get reconisation from viewers overseas....Ther soap oepearas do not have any english Subtittle...Its very hard for Foreigner to under stand their show,....

In countries such as MAlaysia all their malay chinese proggrammes have Englshis Sub tittle ...its easy for foreighner like us to understand..

THAILAND SHOULD WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFEE...

Perhaps Thaivisa.com should invite the Thai authorities to join in Our Forum ...LOL :D

hahahaha

yes I asked a guy from Finland, why they speak that perfect english. He told be because the movies are in english.....

About the Thai Soap operas: even if they would be in english, I am not sure if they are what the rest of the world was waiting for.....

I felt in Kuala Lumpur a lot more international than here. As well the Taxi driver knew a lot about Thailand and the gouverment. Asking in Thailand how much a Taxi-Driver know about Malaysia.

somehow many people are not really interested in things about outside Thailand, or not interested in the deep. They think Thailand is anyhow the center of the world (I hear it all the day, what everything is in Thailand cheaper and better in quality than anywhere else).

hahaha  LOL  you are absolutely correct instead of upgrading the internet connection they censor website....Even singapore malaysia or other foreign countries does not do that too much....

5 year to hit the Target is not enough Malaysian goverment target 2020 from year 1990that is 30 years GAP...and Thailand only 5 years and dreamming of becoming World leading Cities?? Get real..!!!!

Look at the Local Tv Station .... All the English movies that is shown on ITV or Channal 7 are all being translet to Thai ...they have the option to change it to thai or english and offcource lots of local more likely to watch English movies in Thai LAnguage...They should not do this...The Tv station should just put up a Thai Subtittle to all the english movies instead of dual sound..... Well how can their people improves english with Dual Sound still avainlable....

And how do their Thai Soap Opera wants to get reconisation from viewers overseas....Ther soap oepearas do not have any english Subtittle...Its very hard for Foreigner to under stand their show,....

In countries such as MAlaysia all their malay chinese proggrammes have Englshis Sub tittle ...its easy for foreighner like us to understand..

THAILAND SHOULD WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFEE...

Perhaps Thaivisa.com should invite the Thai authorities to join in Our Forum ...LOL :D

yes even in Singapore the taxi driver have so many knoledge about Thailand and the people ...PEople from other countries are willing to to learn from another countries and explore ..when they come back to their homeland they have vision...Just for example the Japanese before they attacked singapore and malaysia during the WW2 they send in alot of SPY living in those countries explore the country get to know the people then when they have lots of information on the behavoior of the people they attacked....

And also after the Atomic bomb hit HIroshima look at it now...JApan is being the leading country in the world today ...It is because everyone there wants to upgrade and build a nation that is better than the western.....

Thailand should follows these example....

Thailand thinks they are already better....

yes even in Singapore the taxi driver have so many knoledge about Thailand and the people ...PEople from other countries are willing to to learn from another countries and explore ..when they come back to their homeland they have vision...Just for example the Japanese before they attacked singapore and malaysia  during the WW2 they send in alot of SPY living in those countries explore the country get to know the people then when they have lots of information on the behavoior of the people they attacked....

And also after the Atomic bomb hit HIroshima look at it now...JApan is being the leading country in the world today ...It is because everyone there wants to upgrade and build a nation that is better than the western.....

Thailand should follows these example....

I was there with the bicycle.....

After that my knee hurt for nearly one year :o

It got too cold.

But down the hill is great :-)

Yeah, had hypothermia at the entrance to the tunnel at the top of the alps, took an hour or so before I could enter the tunnel, thawed out enough. circa 1978 :D

Let in more foreign staff in the coutry and take off the 45kbaht rules and also job restriction  for foreighner,,, in this way im sure alot of companies will take in foreign worker to make their company to the next higher level....

any comments ???

Thats right.

When you want to open a small company and want to work very hard.

It is not possible with Thai workers.

I am sorry to say this , they have a long way to go.

They not like resposibility .

With foreigner workers in your company , you have a better result.

Because they can show mentality.

To much investers only look at the low wages.

When you really like to open a company , move to India.

Cheap , good mentality , work hard , and a very hight education.

And speaks English and are not shy to say something.

This is only my experience

hi

I heard that India is going to be The Center of Tech city of Asia.??? And i heard that They have lots of programmers and programmes their own application...Microsoft have entered India now and i can see that the business culture are better Than Thailand....

Well compare Thailand and India i can say that India opportunities for Small foreighner is much more open than in Thailand...And yes their 2nd language is English due to the English colonial....

Edited by tytus