"English" Words I Don'T Understand

Michaelaway

Maybe I have no idea what kedgeree is , is because I left Blighty in the early 60's and it came about after that , even curry was not that popular at that time , at least in the south west , you know , the friendly part of the country .

I am from up north the grim but friendliest part wink.gif. I too have never heard of it, maybe its just for the posh ones.

I remember it in 50s for breakfast.It certainly has upper class connotations as in country house breakfasts !

Army officer stuff! delicious!!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I have no idea what kedgeree is , is because I left Blighty in the early 60's and it came about after that , even curry was not that popular at that time , at least in the south west , you know , the friendly part of the country .

I am from up north the grim but friendliest part wink.gif. I too have never heard of it, maybe its just for the posh ones.

IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME......The people that use the information highway that is ...... Just becuase you have never heard of something does not mean it

1) does not exist

2) never existed in your day

3) still does not exist

Every one sitting using this website has access to google / wikipedia etc.....just look it up.....

I even saw a thread on Thia Visa where dozens of posts were trying to figure out " a game played in Thailand"......it was FRENCH BOULES or PETANQUE.....A game played in every town and every bit of open space in FRANCE every Sunday morning...and still Posters would not believe a game brought to Thailand by a country that tried desperately to colonise it must be some sort of local " Thai pastime".....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The word FARRANG comes from the Thaiwords for the first white people who came to Thailand....The FRENCH...the Thais still refer to them and their language as FARRANG SETT.

p.s. My mother made the best Kedgeree in the whole world and she died 8 years ago at the age of 78. So she was making it for some considerable time.

Edited by lonewolf99

I'm posting on behalf of some other English friends of mine as they don't have a TV id.

There are 11 of them over in South Africa and currently.

They don't appear to understand the term "Football" or how to play its definition... <_<

The word FARRANG comes from the Thaiwords for the first white people who came to Thailand....The FRENCH...the Thais still refer to them and their language as FARRANG SETT.

I believe that if you do some proper research you will find that "farang" is a derivation of a Farsi or perhaps a Khmer word.. As for "farang" in Thailand, I believe the Portuguese predated the French. Farang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe that if you do some proper research you will find that "farang" is a derivation of a Farsi or perhaps a Khmer word..  As for "farang" in Thailand, I believe the Portuguese predated the French. Farang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PLEASE STOP there: No more farang, farrang, falang origin debates. 

On the topic of English words I don't understand - dick head comes to mind. For North American's to say "Don't be a dick head?" is usually a smart arse remark.

However, call someone from England a dick head and it's like calling their mother... you get the point. Why is that?  :unsure:

I am an Aussie and have enjoyed Kedgeree for breakfast on many occasions, I am definitely not posh or upper class (very lo so in fact). The word Scran interests me because I am familiar with it's use in the Australian navy when referring to food as Sh## Cooked by the Royal Australian Navy (SCRAN) but talking with a RN chap the other day about slang words used in the two navies we found that scran was common to both navies when referring to food. Here are a few more words for your interest:

Dhobeying/Dhobey

Goffa

Tiddley Oggly

Duff

Trainsmash

Getters

All in common use in the RAN

lonewolf , i never said I thought kedgeree had never existed , I pointed out why I had 'Probably' not heard of it , there are many words and expressions used by English speaking people in todays world , you realy think I should spend hours researching them ? What a whole waste of my time that would be , to prove what to whom ?

Have you heard any of these Michaelaway?

Kecks

Up tut taters

Put wood i'th hole

Scran

The Bogs

Kecks = underwear

Put wood i'th hole = Close the door

Scran = Food

The bogs = The toilet

Up tut taters = Don't know. But I have a feeling that it is said in a Yorkshire accent.

Up tut taters = Don't know. But I have a feeling that it is said in a Yorkshire accent.

I think this means the same as;

Up to the back axles,

Up to your nuts in guts,

Daewoo

PLEASE STOP there: No more farang, farrang, falang origin debates. 

On the topic of English words I don't understand - dick head comes to mind. For North American's to say "Don't be a dick head?" is usually a smart arse remark.

However, call someone from England a dick head and it's like calling their mother... you get the point. Why is that?  :unsure:

since you bring it up, i much prefer the British term 'bell end' to 'dick head'

IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME......The people that use the information highway that is ...... Just becuase you have never heard of something does not mean it

1) does not exist

2) never existed in your day

3) still does not exist

Every one sitting using this website has access to google / wikipedia etc.....just look it up.....

I even saw a thread on Thia Visa where dozens of posts were trying to figure out " a game played in Thailand"......it was FRENCH BOULES or PETANQUE.....A game played in every town and every bit of open space in FRANCE every Sunday morning...and still Posters would not believe a game brought to Thailand by a country that tried desperately to colonise it must be some sort of local " Thai pastime".....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. My mother made the best Kedgeree in the whole world and she died 8 years ago at the age of 78. So she was making it for some considerable time.

Calm down don't get so upset its only an internet forum.

I never said it didn't exist, I said I had never heard of it. There is a difference.

Good day to you sir.