"English" Words I Don'T Understand

Michaelaway

wai.gif

Ok. Today, I decided to "ask the group" for some assistance. I'm an American living in Pattaya. I like reading everyone's posts on TV as much as the next guy. The thing is... I sometimes come across other native English speakers, using words whose meaning I can only guess by reading and re-reading them in context (and, even then, I'm often not really sure). It's great fun to read this stuff. Fascinating, the different expressions we all use, depending on where we come from. And, I cast no judgement on anyone whatsoever. We're all so different, and that's what makes it so interesting. (People who come from my area might even say: "Wicked interesting!" )

So, here's where I'm going to start; can Khun Londo or anyone enlighten me?

"Anyone know if there is kedgeree available for breakfast anywhere in Pattaya ?

Londo"

What in the wide, wild world of sports is... kedgeree ?

Thanks,

Michael

wai.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rice with fish, British/Indian dish

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

KedgereeKedgeree (or occasionally kitcherie, kitchari or kitchiri) is a dish consisting of cooked, flaked fish (sometimes smoked haddock), boiled rice, parsley, hard-cooked eggs, curry powder and butter or cream.

rice with fish, British/Indian dish

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

KedgereeKedgeree (or occasionally kitcherie, kitchari or kitchiri) is a dish consisting of cooked, flaked fish (sometimes smoked haddock), boiled rice, parsley, hard-cooked eggs, curry powder and butter or cream.

So it's an Indian breakfast dish also known in England, right? Sounds kinda like kow tom...

Way to go, Spiny! Thanks!

Edited by Michaelaway

My reply disappeared into cyberspace. Let's see what happens this one.

Basically kedgeree is a meal made from leftovers using fish, and smoked (cod or haddock) tastes best. The ingredients can be flexible, depending on what is available, but usually contains eggs.

It is a pretty well-known dish in the UK, and like many 'curry style dishes', brought back from India by the English, adapted of course for English tastes like most 'English curries'

Although any fish can be used, smoked mackerel is a favourite, and kipppers, kippers being a traditional English breakfast among the upper classes, but like I say, any flaked fish can be used.

It really is a very tasty dish and may or may not involve the use of spices.

Here's my recipe. Cook some rice with the traditional spices, wee bit of corriander ,cumin and chilli, and some cardamon goes down well. Not very much of each as it should be delicate. Let the rice cool a bit, observing hygeine . precautions with cooling rice. I suppose a teaspoon of ordinary curry powder could be used instead, oh and some salt.Flake up the fish-peppered smoked mackerel is fantastic if you can get it, otherwise anything else you can get, and mix it in. Break in a whole raw egg and give it a good mix. Personally I prefer now to give it a minute in the microwave. Now chop in a previously boiled hard boiled egg, and a grind of pepper. Nuke again for up to a minute.

Trust me, a few simple ingredients make a breakfast dish that is so moorish you will feel guilty and full, although in reality it is quite healthy.

I would avoid garlic and onions, they just don't seem to work in the combo.

Cheers.

Edited by petemcc

vuvuzela

Jubilana

I now have learnt to new English words this week but i still don't understand..

Jublilan...for the adidas name of the football supplied to the Fifa..

Those f_cking god hideous sounding like a heard of angry mossie African trumpets...

I don't understand either...

Kedgeree ??????????????? I am British and never heard of it , spent years in the English army with many men having served time in India , never heard of it there either .MMMMMMMMMMMMM

No idea why. Its a common dish in England, not unusual or unheard of.

Only time I had kedgeree was when it was cooked by my very upper class Scottish neighbour.. It was excellent. I just assumed it was Scottish rather than Indian.

Its neither - its a common dish in England. Most people know, and love it.

Only time I had kedgeree was when it was cooked by my very upper class Scottish neighbour.. It was excellent. I just assumed it was Scottish rather than Indian.

I'm English and although I've heard the word ; I thought it was an Americanism. Never knowingly had one or seen one. :)

I'm English and although I've heard the word ; I thought it was an Americanism. Never knowingly had one or seen one. :)

You're missing out.

Its basically rice, smoked haddock, boiled eggs and onions (with a touch of curry - but not much)....

I hear Boston is Wicked awesome!

Anyways, I get mixed up with all the shorting and playful words the English use Ie Bangers and Patters. I used to think it was stupid until I just accepted the fact that we are a huge mash up of diversity and that's more fun than the same boring thing.

I have my wife talking some Philly slang and general American slang. She now says "I am going to hit up the ATM" haha

Maybe I have no idea what kedgeree is , is because I left Blighty in the early 60's and it came about after that , even curry was not that popular at that time , at least in the south west , you know , the friendly part of the country .

Maybe I have no idea what kedgeree is , is because I left Blighty in the early 60's and it came about after that , even curry was not that popular at that time , at least in the south west , you know , the friendly part of the country .

I live in the UK and nether heard of it, also do a lot of travelling and still not heard of it.wacko.gif

Yes, just googled it, just wondered how we ever survived before "Google".wai.gif

Kedgeree ??????????????? I am British and never heard of it , spent years in the English army with many men having served time in India , never heard of it there either .MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Nor me, and I`m an old git.

Where do people dig up these words?

Fish kedgeree was a favourite when I was a kid....and still is today....only trouble is the cook isn't with use any more so I don't get it very often. In our house it was never made with left-overs....cos there wasn't any!

I am from up north the grim but friendliest part wink.gif. I too have never heard of it, maybe its just for the posh ones.

I am from up north the grim but friendliest part wink.gif. I too have never heard of it, maybe its just for the posh ones.

Yeah, It does sound posh to me, Don't think I could handle it for breakfast , I need my Colesterol Fest :)

vuvuzela

Jubilana

I now have learnt to new English words this week but i still don't understand..

Jublilan...for the adidas name of the football supplied to the Fifa..

Those f_cking god hideous sounding like a heard of angry mossie African trumpets...

I don't understand either...

They're not English words, they're South African words that are currently polularly used because there's some footy matches on.

Edit: You'll find the French and Germans using the same words, although with funny accents, and they're not from their language either.

Edited by PattayaParent

A kedgeree is a rice based dish and its name comes from Hindi. Khicari is a Hindi word derived from the Sanskrit word khiccā. There is still a Khicari festival upon which the deity is offered a mix of rice and lentils. Over time both the dish and the name evolved into the kedgeree we cook today. Terms recorded to refer to this dish, or something very similar to it, include kitchiri, kitchari and kadgeri. Nowadays a so-called traditional kedgeree contains rice, peas, flaked fish, hard boiled eggs and sometimes, but not always, a curried sauce. Nowadays rather than swamp the dish in a curried béchamel source cooks will add lighter flavours such a coriander and a dash of curry spices. The fish can be smoked haddock but is now often salmon. It is said that the British in India introduced fish to a traditional dish of onions, lentils, eggs and rice to produce the anglo-indian kedgeree that was such a fashionable dish for grand Victorian breakfasts

The one saying here that i dont get in English is "check bin",

Who the <deleted> in England has ever said to the waiter "check bin", the common term used is "can i pay the bill, please" ... secondly its a lime not a lemon!