"English" Words I Don'T Understand

Michaelaway

The one saying here that i dont get in English is "check bin",

Who the <deleted> in England has ever said to the waiter "check bin", the common term used is "can i pay the bill, please" ... secondly its a lime not a lemon!

Check-bin is simply the Thaiglish version of "kep taeng". It consists of the American word "check" combined with the British word for the same thing "bill". Bill becomes bin, because of the difficulty Thais have with pronouncing an "L" at the end of a word. Thus we also have "hoten" (hotel), "poon" (pool), and that famous British Rock Group "The Beaten".

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think scully is right. Us working class folk had bread and dripping for breakfast. :)

But really, I had heard the word before but had no idea what it was. Assumed it was something like muesli.

I am flabbergasted!! You lot seem to be intelligent, but have no idea what kedgeree is!! This is almost as bad as the thread in farang pub where most of you didn't realise that Mumbai used to be called Bombay!!

And I thought I was the Weakest Link!!!

I am flabbergasted!! You lot seem to be intelligent, but have no idea what kedgeree is!! This is almost as bad as the thread in farang pub where most of you didn't realise that Mumbai used to be called Bombay!!

And I thought I was the Weakest Link!!!

My gob has never been so smacked in my life! There must be another Britain in some parallel universe. All these folks, old and young (well claimed young :) ) who've never heard of kedgeree.

Next they'll be trying to tell us they've never heard of scouse.

vuvuzela

Jubilana

I now have learnt to new English words this week but i still don't understand..

Jublilan...for the adidas name of the football supplied to the Fifa..

Those f_cking god hideous sounding like a heard of angry mossie African trumpets...

I don't understand either...

They're not English words, they're South African words that are currently polularly used because there's some footy matches on.

PP

Actually they are not South African words either...they are either Zulu/ xhosa words dont remember which..been too long..

Jambulani - means a celibration/party

Next they'll be trying to tell us they've never heard of scouse.

Lovely stuff, been a while though, Me Mam used to make scouse as a special treat (when the kedgeree was finished) :)

wai.gif

Kob khun mak to Khun Jack Hughes for my current befuddlement...

Ok, Jack, I give up- what the heck are "Kecks, Up tut taters, Put wood i'th hole, Scran and The Bogs"??

Thanks, Bud (& Ta, Mate)...

wai.gif

Sorry Michael, i was just trying to think of some other odd Brit expressions to confound you with but the thread has developed in a more culinary direction.

For your edification and to ease my embarassment:

Kecks are trousers, Up tut taters means you are as far up her as you can go, Put wood i'th hole means close the door in Lancashire and Yorkshire, Scran is food and The Bogs are the Horng Nahm.

Back to the fish ...rolleyes.gif

The longest word in the OED is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (45 letters). Although the Guinness Book of Records gives the longest English word as aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic (52 letters). See What is the longest English word?

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is not a proper word; it was invented for the 1964 film Mary Poppins and does not actually mean anything.

Scouse is a type of lamb or beef stew. The word comes from lobscouse (originally lob's course) or lapskaus, Norwegian for "stew" and refers to a meat based stew commonly eaten by sailors throughout Northern Europe, which became popular in seaports such as Liverpool. (From Wikipedia)

Best breakfast; full English; fried egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, fried slice with a large mug of tea. Bubble is optional, if hungry enough. Chips if no bubble.

Kedgeree is for posh folk.

Best breakfast; full English; fried egg, bacon, sausage, black pudding, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, fried slice with a large mug of tea. Bubble is optional, if hungry enough.

Some fried lamb's kidneys on top is nice too.

Who the <deleted> in England has ever said to the waiter "check bin", the common term used is "can i pay the bill, please" ... secondly its a lime not a lemon!

Check-bin is simply the Thaiglish version of "kep taeng". It consists of the American word "check" combined with the British word for the same thing "bill". Bill becomes bin, because of the difficulty Thais have with pronouncing an "L" at the end of a word. Thus we also have "hoten" (hotel), "poon" (pool), and that famous British Rock Group "The Beaten".

There is no L at the end of Thai words, the ล letter is pronounced as N if at the end of words.

I've been reading books like 'Cold Mountain' recently and I love some of the phrases used in the old days.

"She's as ignorant as a post" was one I remember.

There is no L at the end of Thai words, the ล letter is pronounced as N if at the end of words.

I've been reading books like 'Cold Mountain' recently and I love some of the phrases used in the old days.

"She's as ignorant as a post" was one I remember.

Like: Dumb as a stick (USA)...

wai.gif

Kob khun mak to Khun Jack Hughes for my current befuddlement...

Ok, Jack, I give up- what the heck are "Kecks, Up tut taters, Put wood i'th hole, Scran and The Bogs"??

Thanks, Bud (& Ta, Mate)...

wai.gif

Sorry Michael, i was just trying to think of some other odd Brit expressions to confound you with but the thread has developed in a more culinary direction.

For your edification and to ease my embarassment:

Kecks are trousers, Up tut taters means you are as far up her as you can go, Put wood i'th hole means close the door in Lancashire and Yorkshire, Scran is food and The Bogs are the Horng Nahm.

Back to the fish ...rolleyes.gif

Uh-huh... thanks, Jacko. Wild, how different our linguistic expressions can be! Got any more??

Scouse is a type of lamb or beef stew. The word comes from lobscouse (originally lob's course) or lapskaus, Norwegian for "stew" and refers to a meat based stew commonly eaten by sailors throughout Northern Europe, which became popular in seaports such as Liverpool. (From Wikipedia)

Scousers couldn't afford lamb, and most not beef either, blind scouse is much more common in Liverpool.

That's scouse with no meat in it.

Kecks are definitely trousers, cacks are underpants.

Like: Dumb as a stick (USA)...

I liked

"As dumb as a box of hammers, (but he's such a handsome guy)" Jill Sobule American singer-songwriter from Colorado in 'I Kissed a Girl'...

And R sounds are changed to L sounds in certain circumstances, but 'cause Thais are lazy, they do it all the time... My Thai teacher even used to call it Loor Luea when he was trying to teach us the alphabet...

So to try and say and L at the end of a word, they have to change the 'R' sound to Ls as well...

So Darryl can only be either Dallol or Darren... sometimes Daniel...

I answer to any of them :)

Daewoo

Edited by Daewoo

Scousers couldn't afford lamb, and most not beef either, blind scouse is much more common in Liverpool.

I thought it was cack that made the skidmarks in the kecks!

All I can say is Wickipedia and Google are your friends. I've seen many expressions written that I had no idea of their meaning. I just Google them and I usually get an understanding.

Just today I heard the expression "Carey Street" and I had no idea what it meant, even though it was "sort of" explained in the paragraph. I searched on Google and found that Carey street was a place in England where bankruptcies were handled.

I've heard many "slightly uncommon" words used for years, and even used them myself in conversation, but had no idea how they were spelled. WORD or Google usually comes to my aid.

i reckon it all comes down to literacy and erudition.

it doesn't matter where you are from - if you read, you acquire a vocabulary and a sense of how to use it.

on a forum like tv, it quickly becomes obvious who reads and who doesn't.

i limit my observations to those who claim english is their first language.

Edited by t.s

Kedgeree ??????????????? I am British and never heard of it , spent years in the English army with many men having served time in India , never heard of it there either .MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Nor me, and I`m an old git.

Where do people dig up these words?

Kedgeree has been around as a breakfast dish since Victorian times. If you pop into Sainsburys you can pick up a pre-packed ready to cook kedgeree in the 'ready meals' aisle.

Nor me, and I`m an old git.

Where do people dig up these words?

I've never heard of it either, I wonder if it's one of those regional words which is used in some places but not in others.

Usually "useless Old Git" or "Miserable Old Git" can be either a noun or a pronoun. Don't know where it comes from, but pretty common usage here in Sydney.

Now for some truely different words, expressions, check out the Viz Profanisaurus... A thesaurus of humourous profanities from Viz (UK) magazine...:)

www.viz.co.uk/profanisaurus.html

:D :D :D

"I thought it was cack that made the skidmarks in the kecks!"

Classic...!

:)