New 2010 Vespa?

nikster

I have seen a few brand new Vespas driving around Chiang mai. Beautiful, and the wife desperately wants one. Where can I get this, who imports them, and what are the prices?

New only... I know where to get old ones, thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wish i had kept those fliers from vespa at bitec this year....they had a stand there 2 diffenret built vespa's one was the cheaper vespa ( made in vietnam) that look fairly nice for a 99000 thb ( it was appr. 125 - 150cc ) and than there was a 250 cc vespa that was an italian import and for appr 230000 thb ...not sure why there is no official website here .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

thanks, will check into that ...

Found a newspaper article saying that there's one 99,000 baht model which is made in Vietnam, and others imported from Italy in the 300k range. Wouldn't be surprised if there is a waiting list for the 99k model, considering how many Vespa clubs there are in this country...

Ok so 99k is pretty much confirmed. Now where to find them... they have a website, a facebook page, and a twitter account, all empty. I guess too many pre-orders to bother with that... :)

Classy...

post-20814-065063200 1276533526_thumb.jp

Edited by nikster

I don't know about junk but I just came off an American Vespa web site and this is what I came up with. A 150 c.c.. Vespa costs $4500 in the U.S. It has dinky 11 inch tires so I'd think driving it at the upper end of its performance curve would be like driving in a wet sand box. It does only 59 miles an hour, has less than 9 horsepower and is rated at only around 75 miles to the gallon. There is a much smaller 50 c.c. Vespa for around $3300 but it will only do 37 miles an hour. Or one can pay over $5000 and own the road by getting 300 c.c. Vespa. But it actually only has around 270 cc's and Vespa only claims 80 miles an hour for it. In some countries Honda has the 300 Shi i and it will do 85 miles an hour or so according to road tests that I've read. Moreover the Italian offering rides on still dinky 12 inch tires and it's only going to set you back $6000 or so for this. I don't know about the rest of you here, but it looks like when one buys Vespa one buys inferior engineering at much higher Italian labor costs. I suppose one might argue that it's all about style, but if I want that special Italian style I think I'd go with a 40,000 baht Yamaha Fino riding on 14 inch tires.

Edited by jackcorbett

The Vietnam made vespa for 99,000 baht is a piece of junk.

Crappy all around

Did you inspect one close up? Ride one?

I don't expect them to be competitive with a Honda or a Fino on either price or quality but I would expect 2010-worthy quality...I saw a white one so according to the color schemes maybe that was a 300cc one?!

I don't know about junk but I just came off an American Vespa web site and this is what I came up with. A 150 c.c.. Vespa costs $4500 in the U.S. It has dinky 11 inch tires so I'd think driving it at the upper end of its performance curve would be like driving in a wet sand box. It does only 59 miles an hour, has less than 9 horsepower and is rated at only around 75 miles to the gallon. There is a much smaller 50 c.c. Vespa for around $3300 but it will only do 37 miles an hour. Or one can pay over $5000 and own the road by getting 300 c.c. Vespa. But it actually only has around 270 cc's and Vespa only claims 80 miles an hour for it. In some countries Honda has the 300 Shi i and it will do 85 miles an hour or so according to road tests that I've read. Moreover the Italian offering rides on still dinky 12 inch tires and it's only going to set you back $6000 or so for this. I don't know about the rest of you here, but it looks like when one buys Vespa one buys inferior engineering at much higher Italian labor costs. I suppose one might argue that it's all about style, but if I want that special Italian style I think I'd go with a 40,000 baht Yamaha Fino riding on 14 inch tires.

I agree, Vespas seem like the Harleys of Italy.

Overpriced toys that underperform but with such a strong cult following they get away with the high prices.

$4500 for a 150cc pretty much makes a guy a sucker in my opinion.

Heck I'd buy a used Monster Dark for that kind of money (In America) but I'm a guy and this about a woman and her wants which often throws reason out the door.

Many women pay $2000 for shoes so in that sense its a bargain.

At least the Vespa can get around quicker than some high heels.

Wife wants a Vespa, get her one; but if she's reasonable about fashion show her a Fino, Scoopy, or Jelato and then get her some shoes.

You might come out ahead still.

Edited by ttakata

I have a buddy who even at the 230 price is interested in a 250/300 model, he had one in NZ and loved it, said the price in NZ isnt that far off the 230k price also.

If anyone does visit dealers, please get and scan any and all info they have on the larger models even if they are not appealing personally.

If anyone does visit dealers, please get and scan any and all info they have on the larger models even if they are not appealing personally.

Hehehe... also, I hope anyone making the "rational decision" argument is riding a 10 year old Honda Wave 110 which cannot be beat for price/performance/maintenance cost...

:):D

My wife was in a Vespa club so that should tell you how rational she'll be about the bike. The 150cc Vespa is a lot cheaper here than in the USA...

Aaaahhh, Vespa.

I would like to ride one again. rolleyes.gif

Good old student time.

Harley of Italy??? Please....

Bali is full of beautifully restored old Vespas, you can get one from 50/100.000 Baht.

Classic Vespa Scooter Shop, for sale, Rebuild, Restoration

CLASSIC VESPA SHOP BASED IN BALI - INDONESIA provided by AJS VESPA SHOP

Welcome to Bali Vespa Service - BaliClassicVespa.Com

and some more

Aaaahhh, Vespa.

Good old student time.

Bali is full of beautifully restored old Vespas, you can get one from 50/100.000 Baht.

and some more

Bali?? Try Chiang Mai. This is probably the best place in the world to buy a fully restored classic Vespa. It's incredible what they do with these things here.

But this thread was about a NEW 2010 Vespa.

I have a buddy who even at the 230 price is interested in a 250/300 model, he had one in NZ and loved it, said the price in NZ isnt that far off the 230k price also.

LOS,

It is all here. Everything except the price.sad.gif

LOS,

It is all here. Everything except the price.sad.gif

Desperately poor website, even by Thai standards. I didn't even see the PDFs before... here they are:

http://www.vespiration.com/pdf/gtv250.pdf

http://www.vespiration.com/pdf/gts300.pdf

http://www.vespiration.com/pdf/gts250.pdf

http://www.vespiration.com/pdf/lx150.pdf

Top half is upside down, but that's pretty much par for the course on "vespiration" (reminds me of transpiration, not sure that was intended...). Going to find out exact prices later today.

This is taking me back to around 1968, my Mod teen days, cruising on my Vespa SS 180. Copper plated side panels and mud guard and sound great with the megaphone exhaust tip .

Coooool memories.:)

Transam,

I used to be a Lambretta guy. Li200 also with plated panels but AF black on chrome. Ended up with Ancilotti exhaust after failing to renew my subscription to Pipe-of -the-month club.

Edited by VocalNeal

I was informed that the large Honda dealership north of the airport plaza is a sales agent; but this is second hand information.

Correct, thank you! Found it, it's near Aiport plaza at Nyom Panich, the store right next to the very large Toyota dealership there. All the way at the end there's tons of Scoopys in the shop window, and upon walking inside, there are 4 forlorn Vespas standing inside: Two 125s, 1 150, and 1 300 (I think... ).

The surprise: LX 125 for 89,000. LX 150 for 99,000;

GTS 250: 285,300

GTV 250: 325,000

GTS 300: 310,000

Financing is available for all of them, got cut off in the pictures. They only had one price list, and I only had my phone camera :)

post-20814-035805600 1276579661_thumb.jp

post-20814-091963000 1276579523_thumb.jp

post-20814-044317500 1276579587_thumb.jp

post-20814-039250600 1276579536_thumb.jp

This is taking me back to around 1968, my Mod teen days, cruising on my Vespa SS 180. Copper plated side panels and mud guard and sound great with the megaphone exhaust tip .

Coooool memories.:)

Transam,

I used to be a Lambretta guy. Li200 also with plated panels but AF black on chrome. Ended up with Ancilotti exhaust after failing to renew my subscription to Pipe-of -the-month club.

My first was an Li 150 in 1964, second was a TV 175 with Wal Phillips fuel injector and the Ancilotti muffler. Fun times.:D

Never tried a Wal Phillips, I put Amal on mine. Formative years.

I almost put a Reece Fish on my Mini which was similar in a way to Wal Phillips. Did install a Reece cam for a while but that is Mini's not bikes.

Aaaahhh, Vespa.

Good old student time.

and some more

Can get them cheap there too.. under 1000 usd for a good but not uber shiny one.. That place out of Kuta to the main bypass road always had a few in for sale..

There was a dutch guy would come buy 30 or so and put them in a container for europe, but the corrupt indo customs pushed him too hard so he threw the towel in.

Bali?? Try Chiang Mai. This is probably the best place in the world to buy a fully restored classic Vespa. It's incredible what they do with these things here.

But this thread was about a NEW 2010 Vespa.

IMO still cheaper on Bali, but we are closer to CM..

Problem was, I went and spoke to that guy around the moat, and all the machines he had on offer had no books..

Finding a legit clean booked one, even one needing work, tends to get more expensive fast. What kind of prices do you see for one with a book? rough ones seem to be 60 plus, clean ones (shiny 80 / 100 or more).

Must admit, I would be partial to a classic vespa just for pub runs and local.

I was informed that the large Honda dealership north of the airport plaza is a sales agent; but this is second hand information.

Correct, thank you! Found it, it's near Aiport plaza at Nyom Panich, the store right next to the very large Toyota dealership there. All the way at the end there's tons of Scoopys in the shop window, and upon walking inside, there are 4 forlorn Vespas standing inside: Two 125s, 1 150, and 1 300 (I think... ).

The surprise: LX 125 for 89,000. LX 150 for 99,000;

GTS 250: 285,300

GTV 250: 325,000

GTS 300: 310,000

Financing is available for all of them, got cut off in the pictures. They only had one price list, and I only had my phone camera :)

post-20814-035805600 1276579661_thumb.jp

post-20814-091963000 1276579523_thumb.jp

post-20814-044317500 1276579587_thumb.jp

post-20814-039250600 1276579536_thumb.jp

Thats great info.. Will pass it on to my mate..

He loved the 250 (think GTS).. And when you think that the GTS300 in the states in >6k.. then a Thai price of >9k USD is not as nuts as some pricing. Sure it aint cheap, but you wouldnt expect them to be IMO.

Hehehe... also, I hope anyone making the "rational decision" argument is riding a 10 year old Honda Wave 110 which cannot be beat for price/performance/maintenance cost...

Yes it can - a Honda Dream will always beat a Wave!

Chinatown is the place to see older, regularly used Vespas and Lambs - they're predominantly used to transport carpets!

Good, reliable two-stroke workhorses, with style...

Yes it can - a Honda Dream will always beat a Wave!

Tough competition for sure. I believe used Dreams are more expensive than used Waves, but the Dream is probably even more indestructible - it's a toss-up :)

Chinatown is the place to see older, regularly used Vespas and Lambs - they're predominantly used to transport carpets!

Good, reliable two-stroke workhorses, with style...

Carpets? Jeez! Never heard that Vespas are particularly reliable... Ok so there's not much to it, and so not much that can break, and if it breaks it's easily fixed... but for the non-technically inclined, non-member of a Vespa club, still a lot of work, no?

Edited by nikster

Hi Jimmythemook, can you enlighten us how you came to this conclusion?

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I love vespas let me preface my comments with that statement.

But this Vietnam version is cheesy , has crappy switches (left turn right turn buttons) not quality and looks like they will not last.

The large Mityon in Pattaya sells them and I test drove the 150cc version , poor pickup speed but cruises well once at speed.

I am partial to the original designs with the clutch system on the handlebars and can appreciate the nicer made Vespa automatics but the Vietnam offering

did not cut the mustard.

I have a 10 year old Italian-made Vespa ET4 150cc here in America, and the build quality surpasses any of the Thailand Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki scooters. The motors are bomb-proof 4-strokes that go forever. The entire bike is made of high quality metals not cheap alloys and recycled car-bumpers like the Airblade and Nouvos.

I ride either a Nuovo or Airblade in Thailand which are great scooters but prefer my Vespa. I'm very interested in seeing the Vietnam built LX150, and will buy one for that price. Seems like a great deal unless they are really inferior to the Italian made ones. If anything it comes down to seat size, which is larger and accommodates 2 large farangs comfortably. Plus the small tires are excellent for city driving although not meant for the dirt.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I checked out the Vespas at Nyom Panich by Airport Plaza Chiangmai, the GTS 300 Super is an awesomely high price at 300,000 but you must realise it is an import from ITALY, not from Vietnam ! The LX Vespa is very good value, at least around 500 pound sterling less than the new price in the UK. The spec on the bike is very good as it uses the tried and tested Honda leader engine design. If power is a issue check out the many after market cylinder kits and spares. Point taken regards the crappy switches on the LX but that said the original Piaggio ones are not up to much, my GTS 250 in the UK needed replacing within 3 months!

I am led to believe that Vietnam are producing the GTS model in 125 and 150 models, but not sure if they will be available here. Anyone know anything regards this would be great help, Nyom Panich seemed clueless regards available models. Check out http://www.piaggio.com.vn/

Cheers Guys