What Happened To Farang Magazine?

angiud

No, there was an English magazine for backpackers called Farang (although they changed the name at some point to Untamed Travel). I used to advertise with them monthly and they just never showed up at some point without any warning. They went out with a whimper.

• 11 months later...

No, there was an English magazine for backpackers called Farang (although they changed the name at some point to Untamed Travel). I used to advertise with them monthly and they just never showed up at some point without any warning. They went out with a whimper.

Oh, it whimpered alright, just not publicly. Cash flow collapsed, not due to magazine sales but advertising sales and other factors...

On second thoughts, I remember it is/was called "Südostasienzeitung".

By the way I also saw farang magazines degenerate into just marketing tools for project developers, writing lyrically about their villas, condominiums and so on.

Edited by keestha

By the way I also saw farang magazines degenerate into just marketing tools for project developers, writing lyrically about their villas, condominiums and so on.

I think you might be confusing the text of ads with the text of stories. I never saw them stoop quite so low as to kiss advertiser arse that directly. From the people I knew who were involved with it, their refusal to do so was partly responsible for the magazine's demise.

• 1 year later...

Not entirely true.. a whimper would have been a warning. Farang Untamed Travel closed after insufficient advertisers, coupled with late paying ones, coincided and the cash flow went to hell very suddenly. Nothing else to do but close...

that's bullshit... find a single story that fawns about real estate in any of the 59 issues.... you must be confusing it with the Big Chili...

• 5 months later...

Not entirely true.. a whimper would have been a warning. Farang Untamed Travel closed after insufficient advertisers, coupled with late paying ones, coincided and the cash flow went to hell very suddenly. Nothing else to do but close...
If there's any justice in the universe, really BAD graphic design is what did it in...shit like yellow text on white background...what douchebags...

I'm glad its gone; seeing that big print; FALANG YOU! YOU! YOU! on the cover just made me shudder every time.

I always wondered how the Thais would react if a magazine in the US had a thai person on the cover in giant print YELLOW MAN......