Eleven Thai Protest Leaders Denied Bail

webfact

The lawyer for the anti-government Red Shirt United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) movement on Wednesday tried a fresh attempt for bail, submitting his request with Bt10 million cash as collateral to the Criminal Court in seeking the temporary release of the five Red Shirt leaders following the rejection of their earlier bid by the Court on Tuesday.

When will they get that it isn't about the cash. They are not being denied bail because they are not providing enough collateral.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Six months ago, I would have deplored the double standards. (I still wish for the PAD leaders to get what they deserve by the way)

Then the reds came to set up shop right in front of my house. Then they set fire all around the place. At this point I would still have said things like "It's a minority of provocative elements..."

Then, flames went up, and the crowd cheered.

From that point on, I lost any kind of empathy for the red cause, leaders, or supporters, and I'm actually quite happy to see them not get bail.

I have come across quite anumber of people with similar sentiments to this even some ex-reds

Six months ago, I would have deplored the double standards. (I still wish for the PAD leaders to get what they deserve by the way)

Then the reds came to set up shop right in front of my house. Then they set fire all around the place. At this point I would still have said things like "It's a minority of provocative elements..."

Then, flames went up, and the crowd cheered.

From that point on, I lost any kind of empathy for the red cause, leaders, or supporters, and I'm actually quite happy to see them not get bail.

I have come across quite anumber of people with similar sentiments to this even some ex-reds

They clearly crossed the rubicon into a very bad territory of self-rationalizing

that any action is good' if they win'. And finally a much larger percentage has

come to see them as not pests and provocateurs, but a evil and dangerous

element in society that has been trained into not caring about, or being actually

violent against, anyone but those with their same very extra narrow mind set.

What was once a potential peoples movement for a more even playing field,

has been subverted and lowered by it's own leaders, to ending as a very nasty rabble.

It's a shame, because the publicly stated 'front theme' was valid, it's just the back end

was anything but what they stated, and the leaders took it so far off the path,

that there is NO coming back.

Edited by animatic

Request for revocation of General Prem’s home siege trial rejected

BANGKOK, 9 July 2010 (NNT) - The Criminal Court has turned down the request for nullification of criminal charges lodged against 4 anti-government leaders for besieging the home of Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda in 2007.

The court denied its approval for the petition submitted by Mr Peera Limcharoen, lawyer representing the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), reasoning that the charges previously filed by the prosecutor against the 4 UDD leaders were deemed justifiable.

redgang.jpg

Four Red Shirt leaders in court over 2007 protest at Privy Council president's residence

BANGKOK - Four Red Shirt leaders on Monday morning appeared at the Criminal Court to hear evidence against them in the case charging them besieging the residence of Privy Council President and former Prime Minister Prem Tinsulanonda in 2007.

The four anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) leaders are Veera Musikapong, Nuttawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, and Wiphuthalaeng Phatthanaphumthai.

They are charged with assembling in a group of more than 10 people, causing disturbances at Gen Prem Tinsulanonda’s Sisao Thewes residence on July 22, 2007, and obstructing the operations of security officials.

The four earlier testified in court on July 8 after being indicted on charges of leading the Red Shirts besieging the Bangkok home of Gen Prem.

At that time they denied all charges.

They are now detained at the Bangkok Remand Prison on terrorism charges for their roles in the anti-government protest during April-May that turned violent with grenade attacks and arson in the capital and some provinces in the North and Northeast.

On July 22, 2007, the four allegedly led thousands of UDD activists to surround the home of Gen Prem at Si Sao Thewes, calling for him to resign as Privy Council president.

Apart from the four, three other UDD leaders were indicted on the same charges last year - Nopparut Vorachitwutthikul, Veerasak Hemthilin, and Wancha Naphuttha.

MCOT - August 23, 2010

http://www.mcot.net/cfcustom/cache_page/93415.html

Veera, Natthawut, Weng, Vipoonthalaeng plead innocence

Four leaders of the red shirts Monday dismissed the charges of inciting violence in connection with the violent protest outside the residence of Privy Council President Prem Tinsulanonda in July 2007.

Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua, Vipoothalaeng Pattanapoomthai, and Weng Tojirakarn showed up at the Criminal Court Monday to be formally informed about the charges against them.

They were charged with leading an unrest, threatening officials, and resisting orders to end their illegal protest.

The four allegedly led thousands of red shirt protesters to gather outside of Prem's Sisao Thewet residence to force him out of his post as the chief royal adviser.

The red shirts accused Prem of being instrumental to the coup of September 2006.

The red shirt leaders' lawyers suggested 58 defence witnesses for the trial but the court Monday allowed for hearing of 25 witnesses.

The court also would merge this case with another one filed against Nopparuj Worachitwuthikul and two other red shirt supporters facing similar charges in connection with the same incident.

In the latter case, the defence asked for questioning of 17 witnesses.

The court Monday also scheduled October 5 for the first hearing of the prosecution witnesses and November 10 for the first hearing of the defence witnesses.

The Nation - August 23, 2010

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Veera-Natthawut-Weng-Vipoonthalaeng-pleads-innocen-30136416.html

2007riot.jpg

Hearing Set for 2007 Red-shirt Protest Case

The Criminal Court has scheduled October 5 for a hearing against red-shirt leaders in the case of the July 2007 protest at the house of the Privy council president.

Three red-shirt leaders, namely Nutthawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, and Wiputhalaeng Patthanaphumthai, were taken from the Bangkok Remand Prison to the Criminal Court for a hearing into their alleged roles in the chaos at the residence of Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda in July 2007.

Another red-shirt leader, Veera Musikapong, was earlier charged in the same case.

The first hearing for the prosecution witnesses has been scheduled for October 5. The court will first hear 25 of 58 witnesses to be presented.

TAN - August 23, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1033815

Red-shirt leaders deny causing riot outside Prem's house

Four leaders of the red shirts denied charges yesterday that they incited violence at a protest that erupted into riotous scenes outside the home of Privy Council president Prem Tinsulanonda in July 2007.

Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua, Vipoothalaeng Pattanapoomthai, and Weng Tojirakarn showed up at the Criminal Court yesterday to be formally informed about the charges against them.

They were charged with stirring unrest, threatening officials, and resisting orders to end an illegal protest.

The four allegedly led thousands of red shirt protesters to gather near Prem's Sisao Thewet residence to pressure him resign as chief royal adviser.

The red shirts accused Prem of giving key backing for the coup in September 2006. Lawyers for the four leaders sought to call 58 witnesses for the trial but the court ruled yesterday that hearing from 25 would be sufficient.

The court also merged the case with another one filed against Nopparuj Worachit-wuthikul and two other red-shirt supporters facing similar charges in connection with the same incident. In the latter case, the defence sought to question 17 witnesses.

The court set October 5 for the first hearing of prosecution witnesses and November 10 for the first hearing of defence witnesses.

The Nation - August 24, 2010

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/08/24/politics/Red-shirt-leaders-deny-causing-riot-outside-Prems--30136441.html

[quote}

Veera Musigapong, Natthawut Saikua, Vipoothalaeng Pattanapoomthai, and Weng Tojirakarn showed up at the Criminal Court yesterday to be formally informed about the charges against them.

I guess K. Veera showed up (he's out on bail), the other were brought there. ;)

Yes, he's out on bail.

It's good to see these long-standing cases against the Red Leaders finally coming up for their day in court.

-- Tan Network 2010-08-25 -- The PAD has taken offense with charges of terrorism lodged by the metropolitan police over their protests at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports in 2008. The group has asked the NACC to consider their call for justice. Chamlong stated that police have abused their power by exaggerating the charges against his group. -- Tan Network 2010-08-25

Local Red-Shirt Leader Surrenders to Police

A local red-shirt leader in Ubon Ratchathani who is believed to have been involved in an arson attack at Ubon Ratchathani city hall has surrendered to police.

Fifty-four-year-old Prayuth Moonsarn, a local red-shirt leader in the northern province of Ubon Ratchathani, surrendered to police to face charges of arson and violating the Emergency Decree.

Prayuth, the leader of Ubon People Love Thaksin Group, is also known as DJ Num Niranam.

Prayuth turned himself in to police, dressed in a patient's attire from Sappasitprasong Hospital. He said that on May 19 he gave a brief speech in front of the city hall before he experienced abdominal pain caused by colon cancer, so he returned to a red-shirt radio station.

Later that afternoon, he said he learned about the fire at the city hall and he decided to go into hiding. After the government lifted the emergency decree in the province on August 23, he sought treatment at Sappasitprasong Hospital.

Police Colonel Isoon Singhanart said normally a suspect who is wanted for a serious crime will not be granted bail, but Prayuth has been battling cancer since 2009 and presented a doctor’s letter which stated that he is in need of medical attention. Given Prayuth’s weak health, he was granted bail.

Isoon added that he informed the DSI of the suspect's bail, and the DSI didn’t object to it. Sombat Rattano, a former Pheu Thai MP, provided 200,000 baht in cash to bail Prayuth out.

Twenty-one suspects have been arrested in connection to the arson attack at Ubon Ratchathani city hall. Two suspects turned themselves in to police.

There are in total 12 cases that are related to the red-shirt protesters, and 418 warrants have been issued. Some 88 red-shirt supporters have been taken into custody.

TAN - August 26, 2010

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/tan/ViewData.aspx?DataID=1033942

==========================================================================

Authorities bidding to nab UDD leaders in Cambodia

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Authorities are taking their utmost attempts to arrest all core leaders of the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorships (UDD) escaping to Cambodia, according to Defense Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan.

General Prawit said related authorities were operating to track and arrest all UDD key figures fleeing arrest warrants and now hiding in Cambodia; however, he said the details of the matter could not be revealed at present.

Continues:

• 4 weeks later...

Deputy PM Visits Detained Red-shirt Leaders

In an effort to bring about national reconciliation, the deputy prime minister in charge of social affairs will act as mediator and plans to meet with all sides involved in the political conflict.

Besides meeting with detained red-shirt leaders, he will also schedule talks with former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart today paid a visit to red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua and other key red-shirt members who are being detained at the Bangkok Remand Prison.

After the talks, which lasted more than 40 minutes, Sanan disclosed that his visit was a personal move and was not an official business of the government.

The deputy PM further said the detained red-shirt leaders have shown their support for the reconciliation plan.

They asked Sanan to act as mediator to coordinate with conflicting groups and, when possible, schedule a meeting between all parties involved in the political conflict.

Continues:

Deputy PM Visits Detained Red-shirt Leaders

In an effort to bring about national reconciliation, the deputy prime minister in charge of social affairs will act as mediator and plans to meet with all sides involved in the political conflict.

Besides meeting with detained red-shirt leaders, he will also schedule talks with former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart today paid a visit to red-shirt leader Natthawut Saikua and other key red-shirt members who are being detained at the Bangkok Remand Prison.

After the talks, which lasted more than 40 minutes, Sanan disclosed that his visit was a personal move and was not an official business of the government.

The deputy PM further said the detained red-shirt leaders have shown their support for the reconciliation plan.

They asked Sanan to act as mediator to coordinate with conflicting groups and, when possible, schedule a meeting between all parties involved in the political conflict.

Continues:

Might these gentlemen start to feel the heat ?

Red shirts want me to push reconciliation: Sanan

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart says detained red-shirt leaders want him to mediate a reconciliation plan. Sanan yesterday visited Natthawut Saikua and six other red-shirt leaders at Bangkok Remand Prison for 45 minutes. Sanan brought four boxes of pomelos for the detainees.

“The red-shirt leaders want me to mediate a reconciliation plan without any more conditions,” Sanan said after his visit. “They are willing to help, as well as me. I’m willing and ready to mediate such a discussion with all conflicting sides, including former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is supposed to stop his political movement."

“However, before talking to Thaksin, I should talk to the People’s Alliance for Democracy first,” he said.

Sanan said that if talk about peace made progress, he would propose the issue to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

“I came personally. Natthawut is my relative and close friend. It has nothing to do with the government,” he explained.

“I said on my 75th birthday this month that I’d try to enhance reconciliation." "After this I will visit more people to discuss reconciliation,” he said, adding that the prime minister would understand.

Sanan refused to give his opinion on the amnesty bill proposed by coalition partner Bhum Jai Thai, saying only that it was a big issue that needed more discussion. He thought the bill had nothing to do with the reconciliation plan.

Meanwhile, the Bhum Jai Thai Party’s idea of an amnesty law for protesters had won support of fellow coalition party Chart Thai Pattana, Bhum Jai Thai Spokesman Supachai Jaisamut said yesterday.

“There has been an initial discussion and Chart Thai Pattana agreed with the proposal in principle, and offered to support it,” Supachai told a press conference at the Ministry of Interior.

He said Bhum Jai Thai’s executive board would convene a meeting of party MPs today to discuss the draft law, which would give amnesty to people who broke the law by taking part in political rallies or conflicts from September 19, 2006, to May 31 this year.

The spokesman said the draft to be assessed by the Bhum Jai Thai meeting would be used by the party and Chart Thai Pattana in a joint campaign for support from constituents.

Supachai said the proposed amnesty was intended for ordinary protesters who broke the law with good intentions and would not cover the masterminds, leaders and people who committed criminal offences, particularly terrorism and acts against the monarchy.

He noted, however, that the proposed amnesty would cover state officials who acted on orders, including former national police chief Patcharawat Wongsuwan, who ordered a crackdown on yellow-shirt protesters in October 2008.

When asked whether Bhum Jai Thai would seek support from other coalition parties and the opposition for its proposed amnesty law, Supachai said it would welcome backing from other parties.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-21

Reconciliation is indeed a fine idea, it should start as soon as possible, and as has been said, ''include all involved parties and individuals.''

In the U.K the reconciliation process concerning the parties and individuals involved here in Thailand would be and often is called, ''A TRIAL."

Edited by siampolee

Thai deputy PM ready to mediate reconciliation talk

BANGKOK, Sept. 20 (Xinhua) -- Thai Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart said Monday he is ready to mediate a reconciliation talk with all conflicting sides after the detained red-shirt leaders asked him to do so. According to The Nation online, Sanan said Natthawut Saikua and other detained red-shirt leaders wanted to hold a reconciliation talk with the government without any more condition, and hoped he can mediate the talk.

Sanan said he is also willing and ready to mediate such a talk with all conflicting sides, including former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who is seen as leader de facto of red-shirts, and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a movement who opposes Thaksin. Sanan visited Natthawut and six other red-shirt leaders at the Bangkok Remand Prison for 45 minutes Monday. He said if the peace talk has more progress, he will propose the issue to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva.

Continues:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-09/20/c_13521487.htm

19 UDD leaders arraigned for terrorism charge

BANGKOK, 27 September 2010 (NNT) – The United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) core leaders are scheduled to appear before the Criminal Court this morning to fight terrorism charges while their lawyer is preparing to file another bail request.

The 19 UDD core figures and guards are scheduled to be arraigned for terrorism charge for the first time on Monday since the official prosecution in August. The defendants include Mr Veera Musikapong, Mr Natthawut Saikua, Mr Viputhalang Pattanaputhai, Mr Nisit Sintuprai, and Mr Korkaew Pikulthong.

However, two defendants in the case, Mr Jatuporn Prompan and Mr Karun Hosakul, are exempted from the appointment, invoking their MP privilege and immunities.

UDD’s lawyer, Mr Karom Pontaklang, said the court process could take years before a ruling was made, during which his clients would remain imprisoned.

If his clients were finally proved innocent and acquitted, nobody would be held responsible for their imprisonment.

He said he would proceed with the bail request as his clients had obviously not been involved in any witness intimidation.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-27 footer_n.gif

He said he would proceed with the bail request as his clients had obviously not been involved in any witness intimidation.

This may be true, but obviously is irrelevant.

The reason to refuse bail is the seriousness of the crime they are accused of, their stance of this, the chance they may intimidate witnesses ones outside, and the considerable chance that they may flee once bailed. Still a lawyer doing his work has to try ;)

Court Examines Evidence in Red-shirt Riot Case

The Criminal Court has begun evidence examination for the terrorism case against 19 red-shirt suspects. Two Pheu Thai MPs indicted on the same charges have exercised their parliamentary immunity to postpone their appearance before the court.

Sixteen red-shirt leaders, including Nutthawut Saikua, Weng Tojirakarn, Korkaew Pikulthong, Kwanchai Praipana, Yoswarit Chooklom or Jeng Dokchik, Nisit Sinthuprai, and Wiputalaeng Pattanaphumthai, were taken from the Bangkok Remand Prison to the Criminal Court for an evidence examination session for their alleged involvement in acts of terrorism during the May political riots.

Public prosecutors have accused the 19 red-shirt key men of committing terrorist acts, attempting to overthrow the Monarchy, and inciting riots during the street protests they led at Panfa Bridge on Rajdamnoen Avenue and at Ratchaprasong Intersection from February 28 to May 20.

The group had incited tens of thousands of their followers from across the country to join the anti-government protests and pressure Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva to dissolve the House and replace the 2007 Constitution with the 1997 Constitution.

Two opposition MPs, Jatuporn Prompan and Karun Hosakul, postponed their appearance in court, using their parliamentary immunity as the House is currently in session.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-09-27

footer_n.gif

The usual cavalcade of Red Leaders, from both inside and outside of prison, turn up for today's court proceedings :

Natthawut Saikua :

nattawut.jpg

Viputhalang Pattanaputhai and Nisit Sintuprai :

wipu.jpg

Veera Musikapong :

veera.jpg

Notably absent from the gang today:

Two opposition MPs, Jatuporn Prompan and Karun Hosakul, postponed their appearance in court, using their parliamentary immunity as the House is currently in session.

Red Shirt Lawyers Fight Terrorism Allegations

Red shirt lawyers have appealed to the court, asking that allegations of terrorism against the red shirt ring leaders be dropped.

They allege that the allegations are false and that police do not have any evidence to back them. The court is set to make a decision on December 27.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-04

footer_n.gif

• 1 month later...

Pheu Thai MP surrenders on terrorism charges

Pheu Thai MP Vichian Khaokham on Thursday surrendered himself to acknowledge his charges related to terrorism triggered by the red-shirt rally from April to May.

After reporting to the Department of Special Investigation, Vichian claimed parliamentary immunity to secure his temporary release.

He cited his hernia surgery as reason to postpone his surrender for more than three months.

DSI director general Tharit Pengdit said after notifying charges, the next step involving Vichian was to forward the investigative report for prosecution review.

Should the prosecutors decide to try him, the MP would have to undergo the remand hearing and his bail would be decided by the judicial review, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

==========================================================================

48616930.jpg

Pheu Thai Party MP and Red Shirt Leader Vichian Khaokham (left) being interviewed last March.

Pheu Thai MP Vichian Khaokham on Thursday surrendered himself to acknowledge his charges related to terrorism triggered by the red-shirt rally from April to May.

After reporting to the Department of Special Investigation, Vichian claimed parliamentary immunity to secure his temporary release.

He cited his hernia surgery as reason to postpone his surrender for more than three months.

DSI director general Tharit Pengdit said after notifying charges, the next step involving Vichian was to forward the investigative report for prosecution review.

Should the prosecutors decide to try him, the MP would have to undergo the remand hearing and his bail would be decided by the judicial review, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

... link to picture removed

If a hernia prevented MP Vichian to report to the DSI it seems valid to assume he also didn't attend any sessions of parliament, PTP, etc. He was home or in hospital on sick leave ?

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

If a hernia prevented MP Vichian to report to the DSI it seems valid to assume he also didn't attend any sessions of parliament, PTP, etc. He was home or in hospital on sick leave ?

No mention of a hernia in earlier reports:

June 8, 2010

UDD Lawyer Karom Polthaklang added that two other red-shirt leaders wanted by the authorities, Suporn Attawong aka Rambo Isaan and Vichian Khaokam are in hiding, but will surrender themselves once the emergency decree is lifted.

August 18, 2010

Mr Jatuporn, a rabble rousing MP, also confirmed that he, along with Pheu Thai MPs Karun Hosakul and Vichian Khaokham, would show up at the Criminal Court on Thursday, as required by law. The three have been alleged of inciting terrorism in the recent political unrest.*

* Vichian never showed up

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-18

Didn't seem to bother him during the Red Shirt picnic at the expense of honest hard working Thai's.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to calls for the release of the remaining red-shirt leaders, Deputy Prime Minister Suthep said the decision rests with the court.

Arrested protesters who have received no legal aid from the group will be offered help under the government's program.

Suthep said even though fugitive red-shirt leader Arisman Pongreungrong has penned an open letter on the internet asking the group's supporters to keep fighting, authorities are still unable to locate his whereabouts.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-12-02

footer_n.gif