Need Thai Lessons

girlx

Does anyone know of a good Thai language class that is easily accessible from Banglamphu? People have recommended AUA to me but it is not close to where I live. I would be up for private lessons but prefer to learn from a group as there is more interaction that way.

Thanks for any advice! I have books/cds/a thai boyfriend but all my efforts have failed thus far!

Does anyone know of a good Thai language class that is easily accessible from Banglamphu? People have recommended AUA to me but it is not close to where I live. I would be up for private lessons but prefer to learn from a group as there is more interaction that way.

Thanks for any advice! I have books/cds/a thai boyfriend but all my efforts have failed thus far!

Surely all your efforts can't be a complete failure. Your expectations are just too high. The Thai boyfriend won't be effective at all if your main communication channel is English i.e. when you initially flirted/courted eachother.

A Thai boyfriend would only benefit if his English was worse off than your Thai. It would push you to have to speak more Thai. I made sure that Thai was the main communication channel with my current (and all previous 20 :o ) girlfriends and it's brought me to my fluent state and is pushing me further.

In my practice, Thai=personal life English=professional life.

Don't waiste your time and money on a formal class---if you ask me. For everyday/everywhere/every moment in this country is a valuable lesson. The TV, magazines, kids, etc.

On the subject, Bangkok University International College has a Thai language for foreigners class which I think is completely stupid. Spending all that time and money to learn five methods of writing and reading Thai in English phonetics--not practicle.

Like I said, it's much harder to learn the communication skills from people who can speak English good cause then you just learn the vocabulary word for word and it's english translation----no context and direct application.

There are almost as many methods as there are people. I had lots of help from learning Thai in a formal environment and wouldn't have made it to where I am now if I'd done it on my own.

I think it makes sense to learn the basics from a professional teacher first, especially the technicalities of the tones and the writing system. Once you can read, you can continue on your own with the help of friends.

But that's not really helpful, OP was asking for a language school or tutor in the Banglamphu area...

Hi - have a look here - there are a few people who will come to you...

http://www.thai-language-online.com/resources/tutors.shtml

I met Khun Noot a couple of years ago and she was very much into teaching and prepared her own stuff. I have been to Uni Coll London SOAS for 2 years and done some of the formalities. When your in a total thai environment listen to what is being said and you will pick up words, then you can find out what they are. The best self learning I have come across is Linguuaphone Thai - but it is expensive. Also good to get a decent dictionary so that you can look up words you here. One of the best ways I have of learning vocabulary is when i make a mistake and get corrected in public - never forget after that !

AUA do a free trial lesson. Went there and it was great fun and done in a good way to learn - the emphasis here is on listening.