Acer Laptop

chaiyapoon

Recently returned to UK for a few months.

Came back with a nearly new Acer laptop I bought from another Brit who needed money to stay longer in Thailand.

Knew I would have to change the power lead or the plug.However,every time I phone Acer help line they say they are too busy to take calls!!! So I'm going for the change plug.It has a 3 pin plug on it now which I will cut off.The earth cable is identified so no problem there.Does it matter which one of the other two leads is neutral and live?One is smooth the other has ridges all are black.Any advice?

If you're in the UK, any half decent computer shop will be able to supply a lead. Forget trying to talk to Acer.

The Thai 3 pin plug has L N & E in the same relative positions as the UK so you should have no trouble wiring it up.

In practice, with a switching PSU, L & N are interchangable so getting earth in the right place is the only really important bit.

.....However,every time I phone Acer help line they say they are too busy to take calls!!!.....

This is a totally unacceptable response from any consumer products company.

A little bit of history. Acer is a Taiwanese company. 7-8 years ago, Acer were amoung the top 3 computer manufacturers/suppliers in the USA. 5 years ago their quality control and support went to he*l. It became so bad that they finally withdrew from the US market. (Nobody would buy their products.) Within last 6 months, Acer is again attempting to re-enter the US market with a line of inexpensive laptops. (Quality appears well below average with very poor quality LCD screens, unconventional keyboards and an overall "cheap" look.) A number of display models I have seen in retail stores were dead and, according to store sales personnel, the returns on Acer units is very high.

Would suggest you contact the Chairman or President of Acer and describe your experiences with their UK support personnel. Company contact info is as follows:

Acer Incorporated

8F, 88, Sec.1, Hsin Tai Wu Rd., Hsichih,

Taipei Hsien 221, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Tel: 886-2-8691-3204/1046

Fax: 886-2-8691-3262

Email: (name)@acer.com.tw

J.T. Wang, Chairman & CEO

Gianfranco Lanci, President

Good luck and post back your experiences.

cheers :o