Uk Consulate In Bangkok

There is a relatively new "Border Citizenship and Immigration Act of 2009" that I believe qualifies me for a UK citizenship and passport. But in order to obtain it, it is necessary to send my passport in with other documents to apply for it. Not possible to go without my passport for three to six months.

So my question is. who at the British Consulate should I talk to, in order to find a solution for this problem and to get an opinion of the application being successful. Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thankssmile.gif

Here is a little more information in addition to my original post.

My mother was a UK citizen residing in the US at the time of my birth. She was naturalized to be a US citizen when I was seven years old.

Before 1983, as a general rule British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. See History of British nationality law.

With effect from 20 July 2009, the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act of 2009 provides that a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born before 1 January 1983[5]. Before the 2009 changes, only persons born after 7 February 1961 and before 1 January 1983 were eligible for this provision.

If any of you see any problems in my obtaining UK citizenship based on the above information please advise me of the problem. I would like to apply but only if I have a reasonable chance of citizenship being granted. smile.gif

My mother was a UK citizen residing in the US at the time of my birth. She was naturalized to be a US citizen when I was seven years old.

Before 1983, as a general rule British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. See History of British nationality law.

With effect from 20 July 2009, the Borders, Citizenship and Immigration Act of 2009 provides that a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born before 1 January 1983[5]. Before the 2009 changes, only persons born after 7 February 1961 and before 1 January 1983 were eligible for this provision.

If any of you see any problems in my obtaining UK citizenship based on the above information please advise me of the problem. I would like to apply but only if I have a reasonable chance of citizenship being granted. smile.gif

My daughter (a US citizen) qualified for UK citizenship under exactly these same rules, it's a very straight forward process that requires a copy of the UK born parents birth certificate as evidence, you should have no problems. I'm afraid I can't advise on the process since my daughter handled all aspects but if interested I will send her an email and ask.

Edited by chiang mai

My daughter (a US citizen) qualified for UK citizenship under exactly these same rules, it's a very straight forward process that requires a copy of the UK born parents birth certificate as evidence, you should have no problems. I'm afraid I can't advise on the process since my daughter handled all aspects but if interested I will send her an email and ask.

Chang mai

I would greatly appreciate any info you could provide. Glad to hear it went easy for your daughter. We have sent for a certified copy of my mothers birth certificate and my birth certificate. Do you know if they require a copy of her US Naturalization papers? We have a photocopy but don't think it would be accepted, should not be a problem getting a certified copy from Michigan if it is required.

Many thanks

BTsmile.gifsmile.gif

Chang mai

I would greatly appreciate any info you could provide. Glad to hear it went easy for your daughter. We have sent for a certified copy of my mothers birth certificate and my birth certificate. Do you know if they require a copy of her US Naturalization papers? We have a photocopy but don't think it would be accepted, should not be a problem getting a certified copy from Michigan if it is required.

Many thanks

BTsmile.gifsmile.gif

I'll let you know the details when I get a reply to my email. In the meantime, the naturalization papers shouldn't be relevant to the exersise but the two sets of birth certificates are, yours and your mothers. Thereafter it's a case of dealing with the Home Office in the UK although I suspect you may be able to initiate the process via the UK Embassy in Bangkok which is on Wireless Road. As an aside, interesting that Michigan is your point of reference, that's where my daughter is from and where I used to live, maybe this US/UK thing is a Michigan based phenomena or perhaps it's something in the water there!

Does anyone know who you ask to speak to or make an appointment with at the UK Embassy when you have questions that are not run of the mill visa questions?

Try this and take your pick: Thailand, Bangkok, British Embassy

Thanks Chaing Mai, ignore my question in my PM to you. sent it before I read this.

Thanks much:)

UK Border Agency | Can I register as a British citizen if I was born before 1983 to a British mother?

Complete form UKM:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/nationality/form_ukm.pdf

and present it at the consular section of the British embassy in Bangkok, who will then forward it to the UK for consideration. The fee is £550.00 plus a consular forwarding fee. You would need to undertake a citizenship ceremony, so perhaps clarify whether you would have to travel to the UK to do this, or whether the consular officer in Bangkok gets you to sing the national anthem before handing you your registration certificate.

Once armed with your certificate, you can then apply for a British passport if you wish.

Scouse.

Chang mai

Many thanks

BTsmile.gifsmile.gif

I'll let you know the details when I get a reply to my email. In the meantime, the naturalization papers shouldn't be relevant to the exersise but the two sets of birth certificates are, yours and your mothers. Thereafter it's a case of dealing with the Home Office in the UK although I suspect you may be able to initiate the process via the UK Embassy in Bangkok which is on Wireless Road. As an aside, interesting that Michigan is your point of reference, that's where my daughter is from and where I used to live, maybe this US/UK thing is a Michigan based phenomena or perhaps it's something in the water there!

My mother lived in Windsor Ontario across from Detroit. She worked in Detroit and commuted via ferry (I think). She met my dad and moved to Detroit and married him ( fortunately for me). They called people that did that nickle immigrants, as the was the price of the ferry.

UK Border Agency | Can I register as a British citizen if I was born before 1983 to a British mother?

Complete form UKM:-

http://www.ukba.home...ty/form_ukm.pdf

and present it at the consular section of the British embassy in Bangkok, who will then forward it to the UK for consideration. The fee is £550.00 plus a consular forwarding fee. You would need to undertake a citizenship ceremony, so perhaps clarify whether you would have to travel to the UK to do this, or whether the consular officer in Bangkok gets you to sing the national anthem before handing you your registration certificate.

Once armed with your certificate, you can then apply for a British passport if you wish.

Scouse.

Thanks for the info Scouse. Will be contacting them as soon as the documents arrive. If necessary I will go to the UK for the ceremony but in reality I would prefer to do it at the consular office in Bangkok. Hopefully the singing part does not happen, that would be painful to all involved, a howling dog would be more pleasant to listen to.