Law Regarding Underage Sex With Consent

loong

hi just google age of consent thailand you will get all your correct answers there the age of consent is 15 between consenting thai its different if it involves farang or prostitution

heres one link

Ages of consent in Asia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've done all that, but I haven't found anything conclusive. It is probably right that the age of consent is 15

However the Wilki reference contradicts itself as the singer in the band had sex with a 16 year old girl and received a suspended sentence. It the age of consent is 15, why and for what was he prosecuted after it was proved that he was not the baby's Father?

I can only guess that it was because she was under 18 and he was older.

In this case, they are both under 18, but above the age of 15. I have googled and searched but have found nothing

It appears that most village Thais consider the age of consent to be 18 and sex between consenting children below this age is against the law, with the boy automatically being at fault. I believe that the law does not distinguish between gender and in this case equal fault or no fault. But I don't know and have not been able to find anything to be sure

Please be a little careful in regard to Wikipedia, anybody can post anything on Wikipedia, anybody can change the words, and there is no authentification process.

There is to an authentication process but like anything it's not fool proof nor infaliable..

this is the definite answer.

the age of consent for a male in Thailand is 15 yrs old.

female 18.

the boy is at the legal age for consenual sex, the girl is not.

the parents of the young lady are entitled to some recompense from the males parents, ie; you.

this is correct.

regards

If the father was upset his daughter was defiled he would be upset.

If he saw her as a cash-cow he would be relaxed and talk about money...

Guess what my perception of Issan fathers is after knowing several girls from the region?

You know that's stereotyping at best right, bordering racism? That's what you call it when applying some negative view to an entire group of people.

this is the definite answer.

the age of consent for a male in Thailand is 15 yrs old.

female 18.

the boy is at the legal age for consenual sex, the girl is not.

the parents of the young lady are entitled to some recompense from the males parents, ie; you.

this is correct.

regards

A source would be nice. Especially as this goes against the constitution which says that men and women are treated equally under the law.

Guess what my perception of Issan fathers is after knowing several girls from the region?

You know that's stereotyping at best right, bordering racism? That's what you call it when applying some negative view to an entire group of people.

No, it is called 'anecdotal reference' as it specifically referees to one persons actual experience with a group of people, in this case 'fathers if Issan girls that now live in BKK on their own or with their sister'.

You can huff and puff all the way you like, but it does not change the facts.

And my post didn't say 'all Issan fathers' it specifically said 'my perception of', which clearly says it is a biased view not representing all individuals. Just something painted by experience.

Edited by TAWP

I should also add that I am returning to the UK next month. The money that I have is earmarked to do some work on my 2nd property to sell.(tenant has not been paying rent, despite getting benefit since losing their job and they will be evicted mid-July)

My girlfriend in the last few days has sold her gold and used her savings to put a deposit down on a new pick-up. Neither of us have spare cash at the moment, so are not in a position to meet any ridiculous demands.

I will see what happens this evening when my GF meets with the parents and then make a decision whether to insist on consulting a lawyer.

It's a shame that Isaan Lawyers that are a sponsor on Thaivisa have their offices in Korat and only promise to respond to email enquiries within 72 hours. I would be happy to pay a small fee for a consultation with someone that actually knows what the law is.

I am getting more suspicious that this is a scam and would not be at all surprised if this is not the first time that these girls have done this. The 2 men that came and talked to me and the head man of the girl's village who has talked to my girlfriend on the telephone were so relaxed. You would think thay'd be angry if some boy had taken their girl's virginity.

In the quote above you say your G/F has enough money to buy a new car! why doesn't she use this money to pay for her son's extortion attempt? Why do you feel the need to pay?

It's a bit coincidental that this extortion attempt is coming just before you move back to you UK.

Impecable timing. :)

Edited by Livinginexile

No, it is called 'anecdotal reference' as it specifically referees to one persons actual experience with a group of people, in this case 'fathers if Issan girls that now live in BKK on their own or with their sister'.

And my post didn't say 'all Issan fathers' it specifically said 'my perception of', which clearly says it is a biased view not representing all individuals. Just something painted by experience.

Ok. Just keep your rationale clearly in mind the next time someone shows 'a perception of' you as a Farang, 'just painted by experience'. :)

Ok. Just keep your rationale clearly in mind the next time someone shows 'a perception of' you as a Farang, 'just painted by experience'. :)

It is done on a daily basis, by all people. How else does anyone validate how to interact with different groupings of people?

However, often it is more detailed than 'white man' and instead 'white man with tattoos, in shorts and t-shirt, carrying a plastic bag' or 'dark thai man, neatly dressed in shirt and slick pants carrying a briefcase'...

One thing is sure. You do not have to be rushed into a decision. There is no time limit on any restitution, as long as you continue to negociate with them. It would be good for you to stall as long as possible, until the emotions of the situation have passed. Also, remember that you may very well be dealing with your future in-laws.

What the OP refers to is not so much a legal problem but a cultural one. A Thai girl (don't laugh now!!) is supposed to be a virgin when she gets married and especially in rural areas - where people know each other and word travels fast - there has to be a face saving exercise adhered to when it I discovered that she is not anymore.

This of course depends very much of he social status of both – the girl and the boy and their families.

I just heard a similar case from a friend of mine – young couple they are in love - parents of the girl (she was not a virgin anymore she already had 2 boyfriends) -found out that he young couple is having sex and demanded angrily compensation from the boy and the boys family, they are outraged – the loss of face in the village !!!

Now there is a twist – the girl tells them they are deeply in love with each other - which outraged the parents even more – who in hel_l would choose his partner because they 'love" each other??. 'Love you can't eat" is the response. The girl then tells the parents that the boy is actually quite well off, he has a beautiful house in an up market Moo-Baan and a nice (almost) new car.

Now the brains of her parents work overtime – "is there anybody we can think of who would be a better deal for our daughter ???" …it's decided… no there isn't - and they come up with the following.

Demand to meet the parents of the boy, demand the young couple gets married within a month – Sin-Sod is set at a 200.000 baht "only". (to be shown off during the lavish wedding ceremony of course to be held at the house of the bride's parents - at the expense of the groom I might add) - Face saved, the lucky daughter married to somebody who can provide, money in the pocket– case closed and the village has something to talk about for month!

Now this could have ended totally different – if the boy and is parents had no money – or the parents think there is a "better" (as in richer) suitor around - the girls parents would have never demanded that they get married. All they would have fought for would have been financial compensation.

The "marriage' demand in rural areas is also often used the other way round namely when the boy (with the consent of his parents) has no intention to marry the girl at all – after all he just wanted to have some fun !! The girl's clever parents of course will know that – and demand an outrageous amount of money to compensate for the shame and the loss of face – knowing the boy and his family have other plans for their son - they will pay after some feisty negotiations.

heres a worth while link,look at some of the countries and the ages males can have sex,it is way out of order.but its their country.

Age of consent

and what about this comment in the help at the bottom

It is illegal for an American citizen or resident to have sex in another country with someone aged under 16, unless the age difference is less than 4 years, in which case the minimum age is 12.

and it is a safe link

and one other thing to consider was the girl a virgin at the time of the said act,if not then surely it should not incure any costs at all as this would have been taken from the first person who de-flowered her.

its the same as sin-sod,any woman who has been married before or has children is not entitled to recieve a sin-sod

my wife had been married before,no children but her husband died in a car crash,he was from a well to do family had a good job but liked his drink,crashed the car and killed himself while drunk driving.

she told her parents in no uncertain terms they were not getting the money twice when they asked.they accepted her choice and we all got on really well together.i did help them out thuo

when her father became ill and had to go to hospitial and later died i paid all the bills but they wouldnt take anything for the funeral,that was something they wanted to take care of.

we did however pay for her mothers funeral when she died.

Edited by equium

We had the meeting with the parents.

As expected, there was no sign of any anger, in fact all smiles, but not from me.

They started their demands at 50,000 Baht and after much discussion the final sum was agreed at 6,000 Baht.

I'm not happy with this on principle, but as I really don't know how this would pan out, we paid up. I considered that getting a lawyer involved would probably run to more than that anyway.

A pimp will take money for a man using a prostitutes services. I really don't see any difference here, the parents are pimps that have turned their 16 year old daughter into a prostitute. It sickens and disgusts me. The parents seemed totally unconcerned that their daughter had had sex, their only concern was for how much money they could get. For sure if my girlfriends son had been older they would not have settled for 6,000!

Re an earlier post. My girlfriend had literally within the last few days put down the deposit on a new pick-up and taken delivery. She had emptied her bank account and had no money. She has to go to work very early and one time had a man try to drag her off of her motorbike. She wanted the pick-up for safety and also with the rainy season started, a good time to buy it. She paid the deposit with her money, not mine and the monthly payments will come from her business.

I live in Thailand with the self-imposed rule that I will spend my income, but not my capital. Unfortunately the tenant in one of my properties in the UK has been very erratic at paying his rent and coupled with the poor exchange rate, my income is just not enough. I am in the process of evicting the tenant and will be returning to the Uk and probably sell the properties. I am also looking to evict the tenant in my other property as being a long distance landlord has too many pitfalls.

I may have to revise my rules, but will make any decision when I know how much free cash I will end up with.

If this was a scam, I can assure you that my girlfriend and her family were in no way involved. We had to restrain her son as he was screaming and crying. Absolutely terrified that the police were going to take him.

One additional strange thing about all this. The girl's family have said that now we have paid the money, that if the kids continue to have sex, we will not have to pay again. I have told him that he had better not do this again - I don't want him getting the daughter of this scumbag family pregnant!

I have also told him that if anything like this happens again, then he will have to suffer the consequences himself. There will be no more payments to get him out of trouble.

I am sort of sympathetic to him. After all, when I was 15 and 16 years old, I was shaggin 14 year old girls like there was no tomorrow. Lucky for me, I didn't live in Thailand.