Australian Killer Freed By Thai Authorities

webfact

Killer freed by Thailand blames mental problems

CRAIG SKEHAN BANGKOK

WA man Bill Douglas, whose release from a Thai jail after only two years for murdering an American sparked an outcry, says he has psychiatric problems from the herbicide Agent Orange when he fought in Vietnam.

The 61-year-old, a long-term resident of Thailand, was talking to _The West Australian _before his scheduled deportation to Perth tomorrow.

"I am free," he shouted through two sets of steel bars separating inmates of Bangkok's immigration detention centre from visitors. "I have done my time. I am as free as you."

He expects to live in Willetton, which he left three decades ago, after his forced return to Australia.

Douglas said he intended to take an anger management course through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Douglas was convicted in 2008 of murdering tourist Gary Poretsky, 46, in a restaurant and bar in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai during a drinking binge.

He testified that Mr Poretsky angered him by suggesting Australian and Thai troops sent to the Vietnam War were tools of America.

Story continues: Killer freed by Thailand blames mental problems - The West Australian

Source: thewest.com.au

-- 2010-06-16

footer_n.gif

Two page article on this topic in Sunday's Bkk Post; a fascinating read, was in the Spectrum Magazine, unsure if available online.

he certainly is a nasty chap - and this 'relationship' he has with Thai police makes the early release all the more suspect. 28yrs here ans stated his occupation as 'working with police'.

Yes indeed he's a nasty peice of work. evil.

Of course, he's going to be a fish out of water when he gets back to WA, so he would be best to tread very carefully, although apparently he has a problem with that, so my guess is, he will be in the headlines again shortly after he sticks his neck out and someone knocks it off. Silly old man. :)

I have personally met this cockroach, and he's basically a stupid old man who openly boasted about killing the guy. Nobody liked this "busy body', the man had few people that he could call a friend, he had a girlfriend who visited him, she was some kind of hilltribe woman, and his supposed mental illness was just another game. In jail he also informed on his fellow foreign inmates, this from the lips of a prison officer.

Also, he was never allowed by the Thai authorities to carry a gun, ever.

In essence he was just a washed up nobody, hanging around in Thailand listening to conservations and then tipping the cops, as the narco cops do not need the services of a fat old man out in the field.

The issue Vietnam vets is complex. I am not sure if the authorities and doctors really understand how the war really affected these guys.

Should they have sympathy or contempt?

I personally know a few who still have flash backs and start screaming as if they were still in the middle of battle.

And of course a lot of invented symptoms.

Agent Orange contained Dioxin, which causes liver and skin problems, along with lung and stomach problems. Perhaps, the most disturbing result of Agent Orange exposure is the high incidence of birth defects in children born to parents with measurable Dioxin in their blood. The level of Dioxin in the blood can be measured to identify severity of exposure, so if an individual has been diagnosed with medical problems attributed to Agent Orange exposure, he or she would know what the lab results indicate regarding Dioxin in their blood. Otherwise, it's unsubstantiated self diagnosis. But, the traceable medical problems when Dioxin is in the blood have no apparent chemically induced psychological implications. This said. a number of Vietnam vets, whether exposed to Dioxin or not, have been know to suffer some depression and some mood swings, most of which remains formally undiagnosed, thus unsubstantiated in medical terms. Interestingly, there are people called "been there wannabees" that claim to have been in Vietnam during the war, but actually were not. This phenomenon has risen to astounding proportions with four out of five who claim to be Vietnam vets are lying. Why they would do this is not clear, but you can be sure that anybody that was on the ground (as opposed to being offshore but in theater) in that war can tell, face to face, in a New York second, when an impostor is at work.

Vietnam War Facts, Viper's Vietnam Veterans Pages

VIETNAM FACTS vs FICTION

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/connecticut-democrat-says-he-served-in-vietnam-really-did-toys-for-tots-drives-in-washington-dc/

I suspect that his mental state has more to do with long-term alcohol abuse than anything he might (or might not) have come in contact with 40 years ago.

As we know, alcohol abuse induces psychosis. Perhaps half or more of the violent offenders in US prisons are there because they were drunk/high/flipped out from substance abuse.

• A Type A Sociopath to be sure... This guy needs permanent incarceration or removal. Stats show 1 in 25 people in the US are secretly a Sociopath - read the traits below and I am sure we all know one or two. And there is no cure!!! But the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath is the latter pulls the trigger and the former will anytime soon...

• Glibness and Superficial Charm
  • Manipulative and Conning
  • Never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible.
  • Appear charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used.
  • Dominate and humiliate their victims.
  • Grandiose Sense of Self
  • Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."
  • Pathological Lying
  • No problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis.
  • Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities.
  • Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.
  • Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
  • A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core.
  • Always has a substance abuse of some kind
  • Does not see others around them as people, only as targets and opportunities.
  • Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims.
  • The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
  • Shallow Emotions
  • When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive.
  • Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person.
  • Incapacity for Love
  • Need for Stimulation
  • Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal.
  • Promiscuity and gambling are common.
  • Callousness/Lack of Empathy
  • Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.
  • Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
  • Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim.
  • Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.
  • Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
  • Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others.
  • Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.
  • Irresponsibility/Unreliability
  • Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams.
  • Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause.
  • Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.
  • Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
  • Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.
  • Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
  • Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively. Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
  • Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution.
  • Changes life story readily.
  • ph34r.gif

I feel for the family and friends of Gary Poretsky

2 years for shooting someone in the head and then in the body twice

It seems anything can happen in LOS (use your own imagination as to what that stands for)

What a shame. They let this fuc_ker go? What should the family and friends of the victims think?

Just confirms again what a joke the Thai judicial system is.

If he had killed a a member of my family in the way he did Gary Poresky which was assasination style 1 to the body 2 to the head to an unarmed man sitting in a restaurant, then i would make sure that his sentence continued and would ensure he never made his next birthday.

Its totally disgusting that he is out free after 2 years for COLD BLOODED MURDER

• Like 1

The issue Vietnam vets is complex. I am not sure if the authorities and doctors really understand how the war really affected these guys.

I personally know a few who still have flash backs and start screaming as if they were still in the middle of battle.

My father spent something like 3 years as a prisoner-of-war to the japanese mainly on and round the Thai-Burma railway and not once did he use this as an excuse to shoot anyone even though he had herendous memories to over come and nightmares for years. He didn't have to invent symptoms, like most of the people who went through this hel_l they were too busy trying to forget what they suffered and saw. Also, the doctors and the authorites couldn't of cared less how they were affected - their answer was - just get back to work and don't start complaining.

Edited by Artisi

I guess losing a war against a small country when you are a huge country, would affect anyone ?

Beyond belief,and the family should come over and complain to the cops personaly.Nothing would be done i know but to rant and rave a bit does a world of good.

The guy is a murderer and should get life or execution.

• Like 1

I am not familiar with Australian law, only US law. If anywhere similar, the American relatives could pull an OJ on him in Australia. OJ Simpson was found innocent of criminal charges in criminal court. The relatives of his murdered wife later sued him in Civil Court and won and had most of his money taken away. I also believe there's extradition treaties between Australia and the US - maybe they'll extradite him to face criminal charges in the US...............

”He testified that Mr Poretsky angered him by suggesting Australian and Thai troops sent to the Vietnam War were tools of America.”

They most certainly were TOOLS of america. Same goes for the US soldiers. Same with anyone in Iraq. -- Tools for the corporations, the bankers, and the corrupt politicians.

Was he freed because there was not an "R" in the month ??

Or maybe he wasn't breast fed as a baby ?

That makes the same sort of nonsense

There are too many do gooders that release these brain dead morons back into normal society so he can kill again

A killer is a killer and should have done life in a Thai jail.

I have personally met this cockroach, and he's basically a stupid old man who openly boasted about killing the guy. Nobody liked this "busy body', the man had few people that he could call a friend, he had a girlfriend who visited him, she was some kind of hilltribe woman, and his supposed mental illness was just another game. In jail he also informed on his fellow foreign inmates, this from the lips of a prison officer.

Also, he was never allowed by the Thai authorities to carry a gun, ever.

In essence he was just a washed up nobody, hanging around in Thailand listening to conservations and then tipping the cops, as the narco cops do not need the services of a fat old man out in the field.

He certainly does sound and look like a singularly revolting specimen. I can't understand why he got such a light sentence, even if he was some kind of low level police informer. Why would the cops care to stick their necks out for scum like this? It is about the same tarrif a Thai would get for possession of half a dozen speed pills for personal use and there was no element of doubt that the guy committed deliberate premeditated murder and then fired a coup de grace into the victim's head. Would have thought he would have got a stiffer sentence just for the illegal possession of a fire arm in a public place which can get up to 10 years. Wonder what the sentence would have been, if the victim had been a Thai with hi-so connections.

Hopefully he will not find a way to slip back into Thailand. Give him a year or two back in Oz living on welfare and he will no doubt be back inside there without any help from the police.

Edited by Arkady
  • Like 1

Was he freed because there was not an "R" in the month ??

Or maybe he wasn't breast fed as a baby ?

That makes the same sort of nonsense

There are too many do gooders that release these brain dead morons back into normal society so he can kill again

A killer is a killer and should have done life in a Thai jail.

Perhaps he was molested as a child?

I guess losing a war against a small country when you are a huge country, would affect anyone ?

If you were less geographically challenged, you may realise that VN has a much larger population than Australia. On the other hand, we are in good company. In recent history, Viet Nam has fought wars with France, the US and it's allies, and China - and came out on top in every one. Tough little buggers.

I also believe there's extradition treaties between Australia and the US - maybe they'll extradite him to face criminal charges in the US...............

This I doubt, he has already been tried and punished for the crime, even though his sentence was really low it's now finished.

Thw doctors and authorities don't have a clue. They just need us to think they do. There at least on the surface seem to be injustices in the world. However, all any of us can do is, tgheir best. We can't rely on the government for everything.

• A Type A Sociopath to be sure... This guy needs permanent incarceration or removal. Stats show 1 in 25 people in the US are secretly a Sociopath - read the traits below and I am sure we all know one or two. And there is no cure!!! But the difference between a sociopath and a psychopath is the latter pulls the trigger and the former will anytime soon...

• Glibness and Superficial Charm
  • Manipulative and Conning
  • Never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible.
  • Appear charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used.
  • Dominate and humiliate their victims.
  • Grandiose Sense of Self
  • Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."
  • Pathological Lying
  • No problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis.
  • Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities.
  • Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.
  • Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
  • A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core.
  • Always has a substance abuse of some kind
  • Does not see others around them as people, only as targets and opportunities.
  • Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims.
  • The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
  • Shallow Emotions
  • When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive.
  • Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person.
  • Incapacity for Love
  • Need for Stimulation
  • Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal.
  • Promiscuity and gambling are common.
  • Callousness/Lack of Empathy
  • Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.
  • Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
  • Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim.
  • Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.
  • Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
  • Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others.
  • Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.
  • Irresponsibility/Unreliability
  • Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams.
  • Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause.
  • Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.
  • Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
  • Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.
  • Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
  • Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively. Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility
  • Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution.
  • Changes life story readily.
  • ph34r.gif

Excellent list of personality traits, I guess we do all know somebody with some of those traits, I'm sure glad I don't know anybody with all of them.....or do I? jeez I hope not.

Just confirms again what a joke the Thai judicial system is.

If he had killed a a member of my family in the way he did Gary Poresky which was assasination style 1 to the body 2 to the head to an unarmed man sitting in a restaurant, then i would make sure that his sentence continued and would ensure he never made his next birthday.

Its totally disgusting that he is out free after 2 years for COLD BLOODED MURDER

So your response to cold blooded murder is.... COLD BLOODED MURDER. Really?