Healthy Nuts Available In Chiang Mai ?

miodo2009

There are many nut vendors inside Warorot Market -- the building with the broken escalators. We're especially fond of the "raw" cashews. They're not really raw, just unprocessed. They have to use steam to extract the nut from the fruit , so it's perfectly safe to eat 'em "raw". They have no salt and no oil. There are "raw" cashews at Tops and Rim Ping, too, but they are much more expensive than the ones at Warorot. Still, they are nuts, so they should be eaten in moderation -- consider a single handful to be a healthy serving.

Unsalted popcorn is another great snack. I wish I could find the 100 calorie low-fat bags of microwave popcorn here. The regular microwave bags of popcorn are too high in oil and fat for my taste. I guess I could make healthy popcorn the way my mother did -- using a skillet, the stove and a small dash of salt substitute!

Unsalted popcorn is another great snack.  I wish I could find the 100 calorie low-fat bags of microwave popcorn here.  The regular microwave bags of popcorn are too high in oil and fat for my taste.  I guess I could make healthy popcorn the way my mother did -- using a skillet, the stove and a small dash of salt substitute!

NancyL, do you know if popcorn popped in an air-popper tastes any good? 

Funny stuff. Try Yok or the bakery store. They have cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sun flower seeds and macadamias. Pop them on a plate into the microwave for a minute, toss and put in for another minute. Best way to crisp up a raw nut.

Unsalted popcorn is another great snack.  I wish I could find the 100 calorie low-fat bags of microwave popcorn here.  The regular microwave bags of popcorn are too high in oil and fat for my taste.  I guess I could make healthy popcorn the way my mother did -- using a skillet, the stove and a small dash of salt substitute!

My name's not NancyL but I can tell you that an air-popper is a great way to go. High percentage of pops. No oily residue to contend with. No mess to clean up and an airy, fresh taste.

Can sprinkle with a little castor sugar afterwards. Very good.

Cheers.

Unsalted popcorn is another great snack. I wish I could find the 100 calorie low-fat bags of microwave popcorn here. The regular microwave bags of popcorn are too high in oil and fat for my taste. I guess I could make healthy popcorn the way my mother did -- using a skillet, the stove and a small dash of salt substitute!

had one back in NZ, it was so good we wore it out, :) just add salt if desired

ones in the bag for nuking are too oily for my liking as well

or you could use a couple of phones :)

Funny stuff. Try Yok or the bakery store. They have cashews, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sun flower seeds and macadamias. Pop them on a plate into the microwave for a minute, toss and put in for another minute. Best way to crisp up a raw nut.

Where is Yok?

Where is the Bakery store?

Where is Yok?

Where is the Bakery store?

Yeah, right - like everyone knows these places. :)

Yok is on the superhighway across and north a bit from Makro. Bakery store is south on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. just under the airport turn off and down about 150 meters on the left. Both places have been mentioned numerous times in the Chiang Mai Forum.

I had an air popcorn popper in a previous life and while it turned out great popcorn, it just seemed to be another small appliance to store and clean. It hardly seemed worth it to make just a few cups of popcorn, which should be your limit to stay below 100 calories. The low-calorie bags of microwave popcorn were good alternatives and didn't turn out popcorn as greasy as the full-calorie versions. Nothing to store or clean up.

But, all this talk of popcorn has got be wondering. Does anyone know where you can buy an air popper in Chiang Mai?

Yok is on the superhighway across and north a bit from Makro. Bakery store is south on Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd. just under the airport turn off and down about 150 meters on the left. Both places have been mentioned numerous times in the Chiang Mai Forum.

My own problem with this bakery store is that most of the produce comes from abroad and is not labeled. I ask where it comes from, and nearly always the answer is america. This then has me concerned about whether the produce comes from GM crops. I hence don't buy anything from that shop, even though it's got loads of decent ingredients. The insidious creep of GM ingredients from the US, Cananda, Australia into countries like thailand is worrying and out of order. Proper labeling is needed in thailand, to protect us from ingredients from abroad.

can also make inside a microwave by putting the kernels in a paper bag with a several drops of oil and water. Can also add seasonings. Microwave for a few minutes.

Can get bags of popcorn kernels at Tops or organic kernels at RImping.

It's somewhat off-topic, but you know your way around healthy eating and so on, don't you have microwaves marked down as dangerous for one's health?!

My own problem with this bakery store is that most of the produce comes from abroad and is not labeled. I ask where it comes from, and nearly always the answer is america. This then has me concerned about whether the produce comes from GM crops. I hence don't buy anything from that shop, even though it's got loads of decent ingredients. The insidious creep of GM ingredients from the US, Cananda, Australia into countries like thailand is worrying and out of order. Proper labeling is needed in thailand, to protect us from ingredients from abroad.

I wasn't aware that there are genetically modifying nut trees. Is this a fact? The fact that most of the products come from the US mean that they quality will be good.

Edited by getgoin

But, all this talk of popcorn has got be wondering.  Does anyone know where you can buy an air popper in Chiang Mai?

Thanks. One of my staff saw one for sale on a "KTC" credit brochure a few months ago, but we did not look any further than that. 

Aren't overuse of pesticides in Thailand more of a problem than GM foods  :)

GM for nuts isn't even on the radar. There must be some out there because they could help the trees mature and produce faster but I don't see any nut strains showing up on anybody's watch or avoid list.

Anyway pesticide and fungacide use in Thailand is crazy high because of the bounty of hungry insects. The difference is that in Thailand they use pesticides like DDT which are banned in the US, EU and Australia, NZ etc.

I would be eager to pay a premium for California almonds, walnuts etc than for example eating Thai peanuts which can have a cocktail of dozens of banned pesticides.

..in case you didn't realise, Australia has a ban on all genetically modified crops such as canola..so better cross off Australia from your list..

Edited by rodcourt49

or you could use a couple of phones :)

Suddenly keeping the mobile phone in one's front trouser pocket doesn't seem like such a good idea!

JxP

Haven't they studied a link of brain cancers and cell phone usage? Pop corn popping between 4 phones is pretty funny but thought provoking