Fedex And Customs Scam

slim

Holy crap, the excat same thing happend to me: FEDEX SCAM, THIEFS!

i win competition online, the only thig i pay is shipping from usa..

when the pack comes it comes as a GIFT, but FEDEX wants an incoice, i call the company i win the price, ask them to send indvoice.

they send indvoice: produckts at 0, statet gift, won in competition, and shipping 680 usd.. = invoice total 680 USD..

Fedex now looks at how much they wwant to chat me, and tell me if i want the pack its 25.000 bath for them.. if not i have to pay to end it back to usa, if i dont pay they will keep the pack...

FEDEX i hate you so much right now....

And how long did it take FEDEX to bring the pack: 15 DAYS!!!

########## amazon.com / DHL IS THE WAY TO GO ###########

i have orderd form them 3 times.they deliver so fast i dont beleve it.

from usa to thailand my adress 4-5 days.

and there is NEVER TAX on it, even when there is an invoice.. i have never ever payid any tax :)

if you order from amazon, Be sure to look at what shop the item comes from, select amazon.. then its amazon thet ships your items = No tax.. why i dont know, but i like it a lot :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, the excat same thing happend to me: FEDEX SCAM, THIEFS!

i win competition online, the only thig i pay is shipping from usa..

when the pack comes it comes as a GIFT, but FEDEX wants an incoice, i call the company i win the price, ask them to send indvoice.

they send indvoice: produckts at 0, statet gift, won in competition, and shipping 680 usd.. = invoice total 680 USD..

Fedex now looks at how much they wwant to chat me, and tell me if i want the pack its 25.000 bath for them.. if not i have to pay to end it back to usa, if i dont pay they will keep the pack...

FEDEX i hate you so much right now....

And how long did it take FEDEX to bring the pack: 15 DAYS!!!

########## amazon.com / DHL IS THE WAY TO GO ###########

i have orderd form them 3 times.they deliver so fast i dont beleve it.

from usa to thailand my adress 4-5 days.

and there is NEVER TAX on it, even when there is an invoice.. i have never ever payid any tax smile.png

if you order from amazon, Be sure to look at what shop the item comes from, select amazon.. then its amazon thet ships your items = No tax.. why i dont know, but i like it a lot smile.png

i disputed my customs charges and had a 3 grand bill reduced to 450b

even with the credit card statements and invoices printed out ,it was hassle

,the local post office didnt speak english

they made us fill in forms

the forms were in thai

the boxes were sent back to customs for re -assessment

a customs official called us

he asked if shipping was included in the price of the items

we said yes

then he asked if we could 450

we said yes and the stuff was eventualy ready to collect again

the next week for the new price

Many farang under declare the values.

Many farang submit fake invoices.

Hence now Custom don't believe honest farang.

same same

Unless you have proof of this, I have to call bullsh!t.

Many Thai girls give fake information when applying visa.

Many Thai girls sell their body while traveling overseas.

Hence now all Thai girls are guilty of intending to sell their body unless proven otherwise.

Don't believe me? Try go to a farang embassy with me, hand in hand, and try to apply for a tourist visa. And just observes their stare and reaction.

Especially the German, UK & US embassy.

This we know is true. What is your point?

You have to remember that in Thailand you are at the mercy of people like this all of the time. Was the package in any way worth so much more than the declared amount ?

I would avoid sending anything to Thailand unless it's 100% urgent, even then you're leaving yourself open to all sorts of abuses and extortion attempts.

You have to remember that the above is just BS.

Gullible people are been taken advantage of all the time, don't be one of them. I know because they try it again and again, but it never works. Packages, envelopes, even sea container. I just not pay anything that i don't have to. Sure it can take longer but i make it very clear that i have large amounts of time and patience. And i come back every day to ask how it is going. Works and if they need a little incentive: http://www.ombudsman.go.th/10/8_0.asp

Thais like easy and fast. I like honesty.

same same

Hence now all Thai girls are guilty of intending to sell their body unless proven otherwise.

Don't believe me? Try go to a farang embassy with me, hand in hand, and try to apply for a tourist visa. And just observes their stare and reaction.

I see what you’re saying.

The actions of some can have repercussions on all of us. Very true.

I am curious to know what was actually in the package? Maybe this could explain why the Customs and other miscellaneous charges were 5799 bahts?

does "old workboots" mean used workboots. eew.

no of course it wasnt 2nd hand, shoes are something i would never buy used but there must be somebody who buys them fom the amount on sale :D

anyway , although new , it wasnt a expensive brand name like Timberland or Caterpillar either

just a cheap pair but thai customs coudnt or didnt want to differentiate and tried their damndest to get more tax than the items were worth :)

• 7 months later...

same same

I see what you’re saying.

The actions of some can have repercussions on all of us. Very true.

I am curious to know what was actually in the package? Maybe this could explain why the Customs and other miscellaneous charges were 5799 bahts?

Still waiting to see your evidence about under-declared values and fake invoices. If buying something from abroad then the seller creates the invoice on their computerised invoicing system so how can they reconcile that with their bank statements? However, there will always be the small minority that try to cheat the system.

I have just had a problem with Fedex in BKK telling me all sorts of things that I had to do to get customs to release my goods. That included getting an Import Licence, needing and EIN an Employers Insurance Number. As a private citizen that's stretching the imagination They wanted me to pay 2,500-3,500 baht to buy the import licence for a 3rd party company. After refusing their kind offer and asking for the package to be returned to sender they claimed the litigation department was now involved and extended the return time from 7-14 days to 2-3 weeks to maybe many weeks of months. They also wanted to charge the sender £50 to return the item, it was £35 to send it. After refusing to play ball it eventually arrived back in the UK 6 weeks after dispatch.

The embassies are not stupid and can immediately tell the obvious difference between an educated Thai girl who is gainfully occupied from someone that has been picked up from a bar. Apart from appearance it is also other factors like speech, accent and do they speak central Thai? None of the Thais I know have ever had a problem getting a visitor/tourist visa for the UK and that's over a period of some 25 years.

Edited by Anon999

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello,

Bringing up an old topic as I just had a similar experience. My camera broke while I was in Europe, so I sent it back with my friend to the US to for warranty repairs while I continued onto Thailand.

Last week my friend shipped me the camera back via USPS, noting the value of the camera as $540. I did not realize or know to tell him to note that it was "NOT FOR RESALE" on the package, so I was surprised to get a pick up slip at my guest house for 1800THB+ in taxes.

I went to the post office (Prasing in Chiang Mai) and explained the situation and asked if there was any leeway with the fee. I was escalated up to the top manager who said the only solution was to provide the repair invoice (which was in the box, which they wouldn't let me open without paying) and that they would have to send it to Bangkok customs for re-evaluation. He said in his experience this would take 3 weeks, but as the post office and customs are separate entities, he could not waive the fee or help me directly.

Since I have already waited too long for the camera, I paid the fee and asked for contact information at customs in Bangkok. He gave me a phone number, but I don't know how far I can get as I don't speak Thai.

Was the manager correct in telling me that the post office can't handle this issue? Do I have any method of recourse or does anyone have an e-mail contact for customs? I'm on a serious budget while traveling for 7 months and could use the money back. I'm guessing I wont be able to get very far, but would like to at least try.

After this experience I have learned my lesson to have my camera repaired in the country I am in... :)

Thanks!

Oddly enough I had the exact opposite with UPS. I bought a high end laptop online it was valued at $4700. When it came to customs they could not figure how a laptop was worth so much. I was at work out of the country and a very good friend of mine who owns a jewelry manufacture was my point of contact. He sent his HR manager to get it and they changed the duty to 2700 B. My friend happily paid and we had a cold beer and laughed about it.

Lucky I guess

Happens all the time..

I had a fedex huge argument for a month.. I had a large package sent from the US and had them under declare the value.. When it came here they claimed there was no paperwork for value (I didnt know if the shipper <deleted> up so I was in a bind) and 'assessed' the value and the fedex shipping charge.. when in fact I had sent it via a cheaper shipping service that was tied to fedex somehow as the final deliverer but was far far cheaper..

I showed them the invoices.. They wouldnt agree.. I showed them the shipping proof.. They wouldnt agree.. eventually after weeks of me refusing to budge I had a senior manager come on, who said "Look, we have already customs cleared this, we are on the hook and have to pay that bill, but hwo do we solve this" I think they expected me to be a soft touch and offer 80% or something I hardballed and was offering 20% and there was a few days of back and forth.. In the end I got it released for about 40% of the initial cost but I do believe they were on the hook for the total cost by the way they acted.

What really pissed me off was that when the package was delivered, the docuemtns they claimed were not 'anywhere inside or outside the package' were very clearly stuck on the outside.. They whole thing was basically their <deleted>.

I receive parcels via UPS, DHL and Fedex a few times per month and have only once had a problem and that was due to the customs' valuation of the contents. After sending a detailed breakdown, it was all sorted out amicably. Other than that never an issue.

Dito.

I received in the region of three to four shipments per month over a period of five years with FedEx and DHL and not ONCE did I become subject to some sort of scam or had any issue with high rates or taxes.

I sent parcel to my mother in law last week with DHL (contained some clothes, sweets) total value £150. My mother in law got a call on Monday (from someone at the airport - I'm presuming it was customs) asking what was in the parcel and she would need to send copies of her family book and ID card before it could be released.....She sent them a copies! She got another call on Wednesday saying she would need to send 5000 baht in order for the parcel to be sent to her home address - nothing about it being for tax just to send. All seems a bit suspect to me - Anyone, ever been asked to send ID card and family book to customs before??

Greg

It always makes me laugh when people scream SCAM with either FEDEX,DHL,UPS.

It is usually by those people who do not understand how logistics or government customs operate (Ie duty rates, licence required imports, Band items).

Been using Fedex, DHL for 7 years never had a issue or had to dispute the charges as was well aware of the costs involved to the clearance department, customs and how the duty will be calculated and VAT.

Importing high value items to a country is not always going to be cheap. Its not like sending an item WITHIN the states or even the EU countries now. Have a think before you order anything and get it shipped to Thailand.

A lot of the times its cheaper or just as cheap to get a low cost carrier flight in the morning to HK and fly back in the evening with the item.....(For example APPLE products are the cheapest in the world in HK)

some basics:

1. you are paying the carrier not only for delivery but as your CLEARANCE AGENT which will incur a charge. You can elect to use your own clearance agent but will incur substantially more costs and time.

2. Duty will be calculated as per Thai government duty % available on their website - Note the charge will be based on the ITEM itself, Value of Item AND shipping charge costs.

3. VAT is payable.

4. Vague, incomplete, wrongly declared value WILL cause a delay and require you to provide accurate paperwork. After which item will be released and delivered promptly with a appropriate charge.

5. Customs have the right to decline import of ANY item they wish. They also have the right to REVALUE an item on inspection if your value is suspect.

Edited by negreanu

It always makes me laugh when people scream SCAM with either FEDEX,DHL,UPS.

It is usually by those people who do not understand how logistics or government customs operate (Ie duty rates, licence required imports, Band items).

Been using Fedex, DHL for 7 years never had a issue or had to dispute the charges as was well aware of the costs involved to the clearance department, customs and how the duty will be calculated and VAT.

Importing high value items to a country is not always going to be cheap. Its not like sending an item WITHIN the states or even the EU countries now. Have a think before you order anything and get it shipped to Thailand.

A lot of the times its cheaper or just as cheap to get a low cost carrier flight in the morning to HK and fly back in the evening with the item.....(For example APPLE products are the cheapest in the world in HK)

some basics:

1. you are paying the carrier not only for delivery but as your CLEARANCE AGENT which will incur a charge. You can elect to use your own clearance agent but will incur substantially more costs and time.

2. Duty will be calculated as per Thai government duty % available on their website - Note the charge will be based on the ITEM itself, Value of Item AND shipping charge costs.

3. VAT is payable.

4. Vague, incomplete, wrongly declared value WILL cause a delay and require you to provide accurate paperwork. After which item will be released and delivered promptly with a appropriate charge.

5. Customs have the right to decline import of ANY item they wish. They also have the right to REVALUE an item on inspection if your value is suspect.

Totally.

In addition, most people refuse to appreciate the difference in value and declared value.

• 3 months later...

Imported 57 kg of products

Fedex was used by the supplier and they paid 430 shipping

when fedex received the items they made us wait 3 weeks while messing around with paperwork, we used them to clear customs as recommended here

Now they are trying to claim 47,000 baht in tax

the correct calculation is around 30,000 baht

the excuse they are giving me is because the tax is below 50,000 baht they already paid for us

FEDEX - BE WARNED - ive imported many times into Thailand and i know my paperwork

They are nothing but scammers in Thailand

DO NOT EVER USE THEM!

Imported 57 kg of products

Fedex was used by the supplier and they paid 430 shipping

when fedex received the items they made us wait 3 weeks while messing around with paperwork, we used them to clear customs as recommended here

Now they are trying to claim 47,000 baht in tax

the correct calculation is around 30,000 baht

the excuse they are giving me is because the tax is below 50,000 baht they already paid for us

FEDEX - BE WARNED - ive imported many times into Thailand and i know my paperwork

They are nothing but scammers in Thailand

DO NOT EVER USE THEM!

Have you notified FEDEX Head Office (USA) regarding this?....have you sent them (head office)copies of the final paperwork, to show your concerns, regarding the ripoff?....Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• 1 month later...

So any advice on the paperless system, i see this thread was started 4 years ago but still problems with importing things with Fedex, ups, dhl have not gone away in Thailand.

Any advice on how best to use these companies as a business in thailand?

So any advice on the paperless system, i see this thread was started 4 years ago but still problems with importing things with Fedex, ups, dhl have not gone away in Thailand.

Any advice on how best to use these companies as a business in thailand?

I regularly Import Petrochemical Industry related equipment using UPS - have done for many years - and never have problems.

The important thing is to keep on top of the process. Make sure your Supplier sends you a copy of the Airwaybill and Commercial Invoice immediately the equipment is shipped; look up the correct Tariff Code in the Harmonised Tariff Code (if you don't already know it) and send an Email to UPS in Bangkok, or wherever, informing them of the imminent arrival, give them the relevant Tariff Code and the Thai translation of the equipment, taking that from the Harmonised Tariff Code. UPS will then send you a Draft Import Entry which clearly shows what Import Duty they estimate is due - percentage rate and Baht amount - plus VAT. This document will also show additional charges which are included in the calculation of Duty and VAT, mainly Freight (and yes, you pay Duty and VAT on Freight too) and a notional calculation for Insurance.

If you agree with the calculation, inform UPS to go ahead and clear through Customs on your behalf when the shipment arrives.

Of course, at least with new Items, the Customs Department may disagree with your choice of the Tariff Code in which case you may have to go to the Customs Department at the Airport to clarify / negotiate but once you have imported with an agreed Tariff Code that sets a precedence as far as the Customs are concerned and you will very rarely encounter another problem with them in that regard.

MANY years ago the Thai Customs Department had a very bad reputation for corruption but with the introduction of the "paperless" - Computerised - system a few years ago things now run very smoothly indeed.

Finally it's an Urban Myth that the Courier Companies are in league with the Customs Department and get a kickback of part of the Duty as their "share". When you pay Duty and VAT you will receive an official Government Receipt from Customs showing what was paid.

Patrick

I know a guy with a business here, every time a package is sent to him by FedEx they keep hold of it until he stumps up some extra cash. I guess the best thing to do is write a written complaint to the head office which i assume is in America with the receipts etc.

Yes, i think going by the Thai post office is a better idea in future, it's one of the few things here that seems to work quite well.

Send a letter to the analysts that track the stock. Mention criminal operations and wait for a downgrade. Then contact Fedex. Their attitude will change, just like their liquidity did. Be persistent!