Thai Public Prosecutors Defer Decision On PAD Case Again

webfact

Thai public prosecutors defer decision on PAD case again

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Thailand's Office of the Attorney-General (OAG) postponed deciding whether to indict nine leaders of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the 'Yellow Shirts', for seizing Government House in 2008, pending further investigation.

The decision has been re-scheduled to be announced on August 4 at 10am.

The Attorney General's Office said it is still awaiting additional details of the case from the investigators after PAD leaders had asked police to investigate more points and police have not yet completed their examination of additional witnesses as requested by the suspects.

The prosecution has postponed many times its decision on indicting the nine suspects, most lately on April 22.

The nine PAD leaders include Sondhi Limthongkul, retired Maj-Gen. Chamlong Srimuang, Phiphob Thongchai, Somsak Kosaisuuk, Somkiet Pongpaibul, Chaiwat Sindhuwong, Suriyasai Katasila, Terdpoom Jaidee and Amorn Amornratananond.

They were charged by police with illegal assembly, inciting the people to break the law in violation of the Criminal Code and inciting unrest by seizing Government House in August 2008 and staying on there for 193 days.

The PAD Yellow Shirts played a pivotal role in the movement to topple the Thaksin Shinawatra government, with protests leading to the military coup d'etat on September 19, 2006. The movement staged a series of street protests which toppled two successive governments -- those of Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat - which it accused of being Mr Thaksin's proxies. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-06-16

The only precedent that can be shown to both yellow and red is that their insurrection is deserving of punishment.

I have been in Thailand for 19 years. I hope to see them all prosecuted and given their necessary sentences relative to their crimes before my great grand children die.

Obviously, some don't think that ALL offences need to be judged as swiftly as others.

While I am an anti red shirt, im also an anti yellow shirt (Im sure the TV reds are thinking "Does not compute, does not compute"). These guys should be in jail. Court is stalling for time, not sure. why.

Money talks, the elite can do what it likes in thailand

Where's Eggomatic when you need a Sondhi quote?

I'm sure that even the board's 'yellow shirts' agree that these guys need to do a stretch.

Can you sing 'why are we waaaaiting..."?

While I am an anti red shirt, im also an anti yellow shirt (Im sure the TV reds are thinking "Does not compute, does not compute"). These guys should be in jail. Court is stalling for time, not sure. why.

Eggsactly; they sould be in jail over the terrorising of the airport, as well. Does this 'compute' with the TV yellows? Both sides have brain washed fanatics, you know.

The stalling;? you wonder.............. quite simple, actually. Hidden under and behind Western trappings, bits and pieces of maxism, facism, throw in a Wetern influenced privy council what Thailand actually has is Tribalism. The reds are dominant in the North, the yellows in the Capital and the maroons in the South, [how much of the South we will soon see]

They occupied it for 193 days!!!!!???? <<< First principles Clarice, read marcus arelius.. What is in the nature of the Thai System? What in itself occurs?

what do they allow to happen......

Postponed again? :) How much more evidence is needed? :D

Once again the ineptitude of the police comes to mind.

Not that I'm defending the RTP any, I think this is more of a Judicial issue rather than a police one...but it's a travesty all the same.

I am not looking for a verbal jousting competition, but the silence from some of the more yellow supporters is deafening.

I believe that if these cases of the yellows and reds are not handled in a veritably even handed way, the precipice for Thai society isn't far down river.

This is not a red/yellow issue. This is a legal issue.

Trial by jury 33 people 20k per month expense per juror, randomly drawn from the country.

If the defendant wants to pay financial penance for his wrongdoing, in true Thai democratic style he can offer 10mn minimum per juror to avoid prison, but still have a guilty verdict or alternatively take his chances with the jury returning an innocent or guilty verdict.

Now that has to be a simple way to spread the wealth.

They will never see the inside of a jail cell, as far as I am aware Sondhi was already sentenced to two years in the slammer ages ago but everybody seems to have forgotten about it and the horrible little man still walks free.

Source

Long ago, Potjaman was convicted and sentenced to three years in prison for more serious charges than Sondhi's defamation, but everybody seems to have forgotten about it and the fat battle-axe still walks free.

The only precedent that can be shown to both yellow and red is that their insurrection is deserving of punishment.

I have been in Thailand for 19 years. I hope to see them all prosecuted and given their necessary sentences relative to their crimes before my great grand children die.

Obviously, some don't think that ALL offences need to be judged as swiftly as others.

Which is why the current Red Leaders are still awaiting their earlier riot-leading cases that pre-date the Yellow Leaders by a full year (July 2007 for Reds, August 2008 for Yellows).

Edited by hideki

This is expected. This is no news.

Court delay until Mark give out the pardon to all.

So PAD no need to go prison.

Poor people, not afraid of prison. In fact they like, because free food & shelter.

Rich people, afraid of prison. Because cannot go shopping in grayson plaza.

It wouldn't surprise me if the OAG don't delay the decision again until after the govt decides whether it's going to give amnesty to selected red shirt offenses/people. Then after the govt amnesty decision, the OAG would then say they need more time to study the amnesty impact on the yellow shirt case.

It wouldn't surprise me if the OAG don't delay the decision again until after the govt decides whether it's going to give amnesty to selected red shirt offenses/people. Then after the govt amnesty decision, the OAG would then say they need more time to study the amnesty impact on the yellow shirt case.

Sounds about right.