Iphone Help

Griizley

Hello,

I have been looking around the forum and have a basic idea about the iPhone in Thailand. I have a few more questions which I would appreciate some help with. Please note, I have looked around and have done my research, but a lot of the posts I found are from several years back, and since I found only a few updated ones, I thought I might as well ask the forum.

First off, I will be flying to BKK this coming August and need a phone. I have an iPhone in the US but am dropping the plan this month because I will be heading off for study abroad soon, it was drop it or renew for another year so I decided to drop. I don’t consider myself a huge phone user, but the main two things I use a lot are the internet on the iPhone, and texting. So, are there any places at BKK to get an iPhone for under $300 with a somewhat economic plan for texting and internet? I plan on getting off the plane and going straight to get a phone then I am heading to Cha-Am/Hua Hin. Will I have to get a contract? Possible to get pay as you go?

So if you can help me with where to get an iphone at BKK (not a rip off brand) with a economical texting and internet plan, that would be fantastic.

Thanks!!!

Matt

Yeah by the time you get here, an iPhone 3GS jailbreak + unlock will probably be available. I don't think AT&T will unlock your phone under any circumstances - just the way they are. Even though you have to then deal with a jailbroken phone - e.g. don't update the firmware until you know it's safe!! - this is going to be your most economical choice.

True has iPhones on credit + yearly plans but I don't think you'll qualify as a fresh arrival, unless you have a work permit and job and can prove it.

Other than that, you can buy a new iPhone for 26K baht unlocked. Gray import iPhones are not recommended - they are almost as expensive as the official Thai one, and you don't know whether they're factory unlocked or not. No warranty either. Not worth bothering with IMO, not when you can walk into any True or DTAC shop and buy a new iPhone officially, with warranty.

True has a great post paid package for 599 for 300 minutes, 300 sms, and unlimited internet, 3G in many areas. I am sure DTAC has something similar. It's so cheap compared to the USA because there's no subsidy on the phone, so you actually just pay for air time. Whereas in the USA, a large portion of your monthly cost is paying back the subsidy on the phone...

26,000 Baht is $800???

If so, thats crazy expensive. Are there any other cheaper ones?

Well an unlocked iPhone costs between $500 - $600. Not crazy, that's just the price.

In the USA you might get it for $99 + $70/month x24 which works out to $1,779 (incl VAT, excluding whatever service charges ATT adds to their plans, which I don't know about). Here, I pay $800 + $18/month, no contract or 1,232 over 2 years So which price is the crazy one now??

In the USA I pay $500 more, I get only 2GB of data vs. unlimited here, and I am locked into a contract I can't leave for 2 years. And to top it all off I get a locked iPhone that I can't use on any other networks. American consumers (and western European for that matter) have been tricked into thinking they're getting a great deal whereas in reality, they're getting fleeced.

Well, here all I do is like $30 for data and my parents get the rest, I guess its expensive for someone heading for study abroad, lol.

Is it suggested I just bring my iPhone with me? I have it jailbroken and I know how to unlock it myself. Would it work in Thailand?

Well, here all I do is like $30 for data and my parents get the rest, I guess its expensive for someone heading for study abroad, lol.

Is it suggested I just bring my iPhone with me? I have it jailbroken and I know how to unlock it myself. Would it work in Thailand?

OF COURSE. Stop asking about buying a new phone, you already have one but you dont seem to be listening. If your phone is jailbroken and you know how to unlock you are all set. Unlocked means unlocked for ANY SIM ANYWHERE. Anywhere includes Thailand. I use an unlocked iphone and my phone bill is 500 baht a month ($15) and I use the internet and sms mostly.

In case you still dont get it. Your current iphone works just fine in Thailand.