10,000 Baht Per Tv For Bars To Display World Cup?

scriv

I was told by friend in the hospitality business that all bars in Soi 7 & 8 Pattaya received a visit from government officials last night advising the bars that they must pay 'license' fee of 10,000baht per TV if they wish to screen the current World Cup to customers. Many bars turned off the World Cup screening... much to the annoyance of customers. It seems that this is irregardless of who they get the feed from. Both Thai & farung managed were targeted.

- is this true.. pls verify?

- is this a scam by criiminals posing as government officials, or government officials acting illegally?

- which government department?

- is this Thailand wide.. or limited to Pattaya?

The Thai owner of a restaurant here in Hua Hin where I eat often told me just a few days before the World Cup started that the license to show the games cost Baht 10,000 per TV so I assume it is Thailand wide and not just Pattaya.

In his case, Coca Cola paid his license "because he is a long time customer of Coca Cola"...

It's broadcast on free to air local channels.

Does this mean they'll be knocking on everyone's door asking them for 10,000 Baht to watch a match???

Actually no, only commercial establishments / dwellings who don't have a license to broadcast it. Normally True doesnt seem to give a hoot about bars showing sports from a Gold Package (although it is against their rules) but RS does care apparently.

Eat your heart out, where I live my local cable TV use's astro. And we get the world cup with English commentary. That go's for the bar's as well. 10,000 bt licence no chance, the B/B are in them and also own most. Cant see them paying can you.

:lol:This is only for bars, pubs and restaurants not for a house or the local noodle stall. And you can bet your bippy that the BIB are the OFFICL Collection Agency for RS. This means even in a bar if you are showing The WC on TV with a set of rabbit ears you owe 10,000 baht.

:lol:This is only for bars, pubs and restaurants not for a house or the local noodle stall. And you can bet your bippy that the BIB are the OFFICL Collection Agency for RS. This means even in a bar if you are showing The WC on TV with a set of rabbit ears you owe 10,000 baht.

Why should the local noodle store be exempt. Do they not need a licence like everybdy else or are they private premises??

Not wishing to into too much detail...but here it is:

RS Media (A Thai Coy) purchased the public rights from the World Cup for 2010 and 2014 for many millions of Baht.

They have the sole right for broadcasting in a PUBLIC PLACE anything to do with the World Cup and the 10,000 is the charge for any public place, anywhere in Thailand to broadcast the World Cup.

As an example Festival Shopping Mall paid a far higher price on the understanding that the 10,000 baht charge would be enforced.

If you look up RS media web site you can see the exact facts.

Unfair? Maybe but similar charges are made in most countries (including the UK) for watching football in the local pub.

This means regardless of the source of the signal, ie cable, satelite, internet, then you have to pay.

N.B. Pattaya Police have been informed that this is a civil crime and as such no government officials or Police should be involved with RS Media officials.

I am not involved with RS or anyone else, I just checked it out so I knew if I had to pay,Thanks!

Edited by Pdavies99

Unfair? Maybe but similar charges are made in most countries (including the UK) for watching football in the local pub.

Read more: 10,000 Baht Per Tv For Bars To Display World Cup? - Thailand Forum 10,000 Baht Per Tv For Bars To Display World Cup? - Thailand Forum

in the uk sky charges around 700 pounds a month for pubs to broadcast....

do pubs pay more here in thailand for True? , thus to have the rights to broadcast?

I think PD's explanation hit it on the nail.

Is 10,000B per match or for all the matches in the tournament?

If it is for the tournament then it probably is a fair price and if there are not to many bars showing it those bars that show it should easily recoup their investment and more.

Bet a bar owner moaning about 10,000B for a licence would not think twice about 50,000B for a big screen TV.

I think PD's explanation hit it on the nail.

Is 10,000B per match or for all the matches in the tournament?

If it is for the tournament then it probably is a fair price and if there are not to many bars showing it those bars that show it should easily recoup their investment and more.

Bet a bar owner moaning about 10,000B for a licence would not think twice about 50,000B for a big screen TV.

10,000 Baht (per screen) for the whole tournament, size of screen does not matter.

There have been reports (rumors) of police checks, and when found not having the proper license, they are demanding big sums (50,000 - 100,000 Baht) to make the problem go away.

It has been communicated by RS if such thing happens, to inform them immediately and make a police report, as only RS (as the rights holder) has the right to initiate such raids/checks in conjunction with the police.

Also remember that TRUE and other cable operators have two different subscriptions. One for private use and one for public use, the latter being more expensive. If someone owns the rights to air a sports event, it is understandable that they want to cash in on it. So either pay up or switch off your TV.

Broadcasting the World Cup 2010 in your Bar in Thailand? Then you need this or you risk being fined 10,000 Baht, per screen. Most bar supply stores give out the stickers for free.35772_406510193908_730798908_4157872_5571982_s.jpg

errm...the LICENSE to show the World Cup matches costs you 10,000. The FINE for not having a license is higher. How much the fine is for having a FAKE license can be found out the hard way for sure. any takers to report back?

Why should the local noodle store be exempt. Do they not need a licence like everybdy else or are they private premises??

LOL! Now this is really funny, using "noodle shop" and "licence" in the same sentence. Or at least the same post.

raro - it is not fake - if you buy x amount of beer etc from your wholesale this is a part of the deal. Check it out.

And I'll agree with you Aussie Chick, I've just got back to UK from Thailand, whilst in Thailand I was down at Bhan Phe/Rayong and Mark at Bedrock bought a supply of beer, Asahi 640ml bottles x 144 and was given the RS licence with no need to pay the 10,000 Baht fee per TV screen..Can't fault Mark either, was selling the beer for 65 Baht per 640 ml bottle which is cheaper than 7/11, so cheers Mark, even though the England matches I watched were a disappointment I drowned my sorrows in Asahi.

Also Christies Bar opposite the pier at Bhan Phe got the same deal and also received the license as part of the deal.

Some of the football I watched whilst in Pattaya was at the Sabai Empress Hotel, Astro Supersport and the match commentary was in English with English panel and commentators.