Two Tone Image Creation?

sleepyjohn

Hi

I would like to create two tone images of this type from photos:

two_tone6.jpg

I use a Macbook but have posted here for a wider throw (and of course I can run Windows in VirtualBox.)

Is there anything in OSX which will do it?

Anything else free?

Best to get some software from Panthip?

If not the best option?

thanx v much

John

Edited by sleepyjohn

Gimp is the best free image editing software.

Personally I prefer photoshop which costs about 100,000 baht for the full CS5 suite at Panthip, although you might find a 99.9% discount somewhere around.

99.9% "discount" means it is an illegal copy so it is not a discount at all, just forget it....

I further assume that there is no 'effect' tool that will easily produce the desired result with only a view clicks. If you haven't done any photo editing with (semi)-professional tools before, using layers, masks, free-form select, my guess is you will have a hard time achieving the desired result.

That said, it doesn't seem too hard. I just tried a simple approach with Paint .NET - a very simple photo editing tool - and came up with this in just 10 minutes. What goes into black and what into white is mostly an 'artistic' decision. Getting areas and borders 'smooth' is manual work with the paintbrush (or similar tools). I didn't do a good job at the latter as you can see.

Basically used the level tool to separate into black and white (after converting the image to grayscale).

post-73027-059125200 1276918230_thumb.pn

post-73027-037898700 1276918234_thumb.pn