Chewing Tobacco

favre04

I know that only a carton of smokes are allowed.

But, I use chewing tobacco.

Does anyone know how much I can legally bring into Thailand?

Anyone have experience with this?

And, what is the fine/penalty for exceeding any limits?

Thanks in advance for any info !

TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

There are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

* No more than 200 cigarettes

* No more than 500 grams* of smoking tobacco (includes cigars)

* 200 cigarettes and cigars or smoking tobacco each or in total must not exceed 500 grams*

* 1 litre of spirituous liquor

I guess you could smoke the chewing tobacco. :)

TOBACCO PRODUCTS AND ALCOHOLIC DRINKS

There are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

* No more than 200 cigarettes

* No more than 500 grams* of smoking tobacco (includes cigars)

* 200 cigarettes and cigars or smoking tobacco each or in total must not exceed 500 grams*

* 1 litre of spirituous liquor

I guess you could smoke the chewing tobacco. :)

So, can I bring in as much as I like?

It seems it's not covered by the regulations.

Can you imagine giving a girl a french kiss with a wad in your mouth. :D

Well, I'd certainly respect her if she swallowed the juice!:D

But seriously, do you know anything about it?

Sorry gave the habit up years ago. Chewing that is.:) You may be in a gray area on this one

Can you imagine giving a girl a french kiss with a wad in your mouth. :D

Well, I'd certainly respect her if she swallowed the juice!:D

But seriously, do you know anything about it?

Sorry gave the habit up years ago. Chewing that is.:) You may be in a gray area on this one

Thanks for the replies, and I get the feeling you're right about the gray area.

Any idea on the penalties?

I usually bring 3 rolls of Copenhagen each time and have never been asked or questioned about it. LOL In Dubai one time, a customs guy stopped me to check my belongings and saw a can. I guess he had never seen it before and I had to stand there for about 5 minutes while him and 4 other guys talked about it. N E Way, you shouldn't have any probs if you put most of it in your checked bag. Heck, you can't find it so they shouldn't put much of a limit on it.

I usually bring 3 rolls of Copenhagen each time and have never been asked or questioned about it. LOL In Dubai one time, a customs guy stopped me to check my belongings and saw a can. I guess he had never seen it before and I had to stand there for about 5 minutes while him and 4 other guys talked about it. N E Way, you shouldn't have any probs if you put most of it in your checked bag. Heck, you can't find it so they shouldn't put much of a limit on it.

Thanks for the reply, senshusband.

I chew Copenhagen also ( Long Cut ).

Good to hear that you have not had any problems with the matter.

And like they say, Satisfaction Since 1822 :)

Take care.

-favre04

I have been bringing pipe tobacco far over the limit for years (about 2 kilos). I always go through the declare line and show the customs officers who have always just sent me through, until last November. In November it turned into a big hassle. I was brought to a back room and told to close my bags so no one could see what I had. They said it was a big problem because the excise department is supposed to be paid for tobacco not customs. Everybody was nice about it and we discussed what I had payed for the tobacco. They told me I had to pay about 40% of the cost. When I told them that was a lot a guy went off for a few minutes and when he came back he asked if half that would be ok. I paid and while a girl made up a receipt he went off with the cash and told me to wait there. When he came back again he said everything was taken care of but I should leave the airport quickly and don't open the bag or let anyone know what I had.

This was once in about 10 entries. I have no idea if this was due to stricter rules or just who was on duty. I also have no idea if we came to a "legal solution" or something was worked out on the fly to help me out. I dress appropriately, am polite, speak some Thai and we chatted about my Thai daughter. All of these things may have contributed to me getting away with something that others may not, or they might not have mattered at all.

It is a risk, how much risk you are willing to accept to have your tobacco is up to you. I declare so I am not smuggling and if excise catches me after customs I can always show that I wasn't intentionally sneaking anything through. They may confiscate my excess but I doubt they will fine me. On the other hand, just not declaring can be easier but could lead to large fines. Either way, you roll the dice.

I have been bringing pipe tobacco far over the limit for years (about 2 kilos). I always go through the declare line and show the customs officers who have always just sent me through, until last November. In November it turned into a big hassle. I was brought to a back room and told to close my bags so no one could see what I had. They said it was a big problem because the excise department is supposed to be paid for tobacco not customs. Everybody was nice about it and we discussed what I had payed for the tobacco. They told me I had to pay about 40% of the cost. When I told them that was a lot a guy went off for a few minutes and when he came back he asked if half that would be ok. I paid and while a girl made up a receipt he went off with the cash and told me to wait there. When he came back again he said everything was taken care of but I should leave the airport quickly and don't open the bag or let anyone know what I had.

This was once in about 10 entries. I have no idea if this was due to stricter rules or just who was on duty. I also have no idea if we came to a "legal solution" or something was worked out on the fly to help me out. I dress appropriately, am polite, speak some Thai and we chatted about my Thai daughter. All of these things may have contributed to me getting away with something that others may not, or they might not have mattered at all.

It is a risk, how much risk you are willing to accept to have your tobacco is up to you. I declare so I am not smuggling and if excise catches me after customs I can always show that I wasn't intentionally sneaking anything through. They may confiscate my excess but I doubt they will fine me. On the other hand, just not declaring can be easier but could lead to large fines. Either way, you roll the dice.

Thanks for your reply, Tim207.

I'm beginning to think it's not worth the risk for me, however remote it may be.

Guess I'll stick to smokes, as I smoke as well ( but only in Thailand ).

Take care,

-favre04

My friend in Seattle was penalized...They had to remove his cancerous lower lip. He very well have some Copenhagen left over he would donate...:D:unsure:

Sorry to hear about your pal.

Those are the risks, and I suspect he knew that as well.

If not, he should have read the PC label.:)

Regards,

-favre04