3Bb Does Not Support Macs!

twr404

Hello All,

3bb customer support is useless and will not help me connect my Mac to their service. She said they do not support Macs.

I am a former True ADSL subscriber and have connected several macs successfully. I recently moved and no longer can use True so I chose 3bb. My 3bb line was installed a few days ago. 3bb says they can see my ADSL router online. The install crew (why do they always need 2 or more guys?) successfully connected their Windows laptop during install. I should have asked them to configure my Mac, but I mistakingly thought it would be as easy as True. I was wrong.

True uses PPPoE just like 3bb. A user name and password was all I thought what was needed (like I did with True) but I have not yet successfully connected to the internet. I have tried everything I can think of and I am now asking the Mac users on Thaivisa for help.

Are there any Mac 3bb customers out there who can help a fellow Mac user get online?

I am using a Macbook, OS 10.5.8. In System Preferences, I set up a new ethernet connection, connecting directly to the ADSL modem/router. The modem/router ADSL "link" light is a solid orange which means its has successfully connected. The LAN "link" light is a solid orange which means My Mac is successfully connected to the modem/router at 100Mbit/s. When I try to connect I recieve the error message from Internet Connect, "Could not find a PPPoE server".

Any ideas? Thanks for any insights you can provide

True uses PPPoE just like 3bb. A user name and password was all I thought what was needed (like I did with True) but I have not yet successfully connected to the internet.

When I try to connect I recieve the error message from Internet Connect, "Could not find a PPPoE server".

Noone is supporting anything but windows... Guess they are paid not to.

What kind of router did they give you?

If you have a router then the router should connect. You should not use any Internet Connect from your computer at all.

The username and password should be in the router,not in your computer.

Make sure your mac is setup to receive an IP, Mask and Def Gateway automatically via DHCP. After that it should just work...

You can try to do something like http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 and you should be able to see the admin page of the router.

If that works you have a connection to the router. You can go into the admin page and see if the connection to the WAN (Internet) up.

Martin

Edited by siamect

I have a Mac on 3BB it works just fine.

The router does the actual internet connecting, doesn't matter whether you use Windows or Mac. The router establishes the ADSL connection, and runs the PPPoE protocol over it.

On your Mac, go to network settings and set it to Automatic.

I am guessing you previously did PPPoE from your Mac - this is possible over Ethernet if the router allows it. It has nothing to do with the service provider. Some routers - namely the TOT standard one - allow devices connected via Ethernet to establish additional PPPoE connections (on top of the one the router already creates). I don't really know why but that's my experience.

Anyway if you are connected via Ethernet (to your router), go to System Preferences -> Network and make sure it looks like this:

post-20814-066173300 1276907060_thumb.pn

I wrote a long answer and Thaivisa's server had an error and lost it. So, I'll ask you a question before I bother to answer again. Do you just have an ADSL modem or do you have a router and an ADSL modem? Two completely different devices. There is a device called a Gateway which had both devices in on box, but I've never seen one in Thailand. Do you connect through your airport card or a cable (CAT 5) to your ADSL Modem?

I wrote a long answer and Thaivisa's server had an error and lost it. So, I'll ask you a question before I bother to answer again. Do you just have an ADSL modem or do you have a router and an ADSL modem? Two completely different devices. There is a device called a Gateway which had both devices in on box, but I've never seen one in Thailand. Do you connect through your airport card or a cable (CAT 5) to your ADSL Modem?

Most boxes you receive when you buy an account except for the cheapest ones are ADSL modem + router + wifi in the same box... I have two at home... one I got from True and the other one I bought long time ago... and all people I know have the same ... different brand...but same functions.

Are you sure you haven't seen any here in Thailand? :)

Martin

Edited by siamect

Most boxes you receive when you buy an account except for the cheapest ones are ADSL modem + router + wifi in the same box... I have two at home... one I got from True and the other one I bought long time ago... and all people I know have the same ... different brand...but same functions.

Are you sure you haven't seen any here in Thailand? :rolleyes:

Martin

No, everyone I know seems to just have an ADSL modem. Most don't have a router or know how to use one. In the US I have a Gateway, modem, 4 port switch and wifi router in one box. But we have pretty poor service here in Phuket. TOT was the only thing available here until recently. I have a cable modem now and have a Linksys router. You must live in a city. No True ADSL, actually 3bb began here a few months ago... But I'm on the south tip of the island. We didn't have a bank in my area until 3 years ago. So, that's why I asked the question.

Oops you're not the OP.

Edited by Jimi007