Ip V6 Or V4 Vpn?

msg362

post-55921-074244200 1276873579_thumb.jp

I use a VPN to watch BBC programmes and today my VPN provider sent a message about a flaw in IP v6/ IPv4. I have attached a screen grab.

I have no idea what this means and no idea if TOT are using this or not

Does anyone know?

Thanks

IPv6 has been around for awhile, but adoption among ISPs worldwide has been very slow. A typical IPv6 address consists of hexadecimal digits which looks something like this: 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334. IPv4 on the other hand, uses the familiar dot-decimal notation: 192.0.1.234. I don't know of any Thai ISP which offers full IPv6 connectivity.

Click here to find out your IPv6 address.

Edited by Supernova

IPv6 has been around for awhile, but adoption among ISPs worldwide has been very slow. A typical IPv6 address consists of hexadecimal digits which looks something like this: 2001:db8:85a3::8a2e:370:7334. IPv4 on the other hand, uses the familiar dot-decimal notation: 192.0.1.234. I don't know of any Thai ISP which offers full IPv6 connectivity.

Thanks

Thanks

You can use IPv4 or IPv6 to access stuff on the Internet.

If you use VPN on IPv4 and not on IPv6 then your identity will be protected only on the traffic through the VPN IPv4. The traffic on IPv6 will not be protected in any way.

So ... if the website and the computer and the link in between them all support IPv6 then it may be IPv6 you are using instead of the IPV4 VPN and therefore your IP will be exposed and you identity can be looked up.

I really wouldn't trust any of that stuff anyway... even if the link itself is protected, unless you are you are using free software only, you still run a huge shipload of proprietary software with no possibility for public review of the sources... so be careful and don't do anything stupid.

Martin

Thanks

You can use IPv4 or IPv6 to access stuff on the Internet.

If you use VPN on IPv4 and not on IPv6 then your identity will be protected only on the traffic through the VPN IPv4. The traffic on IPv6 will not be protected in any way.

So ... if the website and the computer and the link in between them all support IPv6 then it may be IPv6 you are using instead of the IPV4 VPN and therefore your IP will be exposed and you identity can be looked up.

I really wouldn't trust any of that stuff anyway... even if the link itself is protected, unless you are you are using free software only, you still run a huge shipload of proprietary software with no possibility for public review of the sources... so be careful and don't do anything stupid.

Martin

Thanks for this, TOT is a IPv4 provider I've found out!. i'm using a Mac and only download from BBC iPlayer so I think I'm reasonably safe, but thanks again for your advice My VPN provider seems to be saying they have not or have stopped the v6