Credit Cards In Pattaya

syd barrett

When you try to use a credit card in Pattaya Supermarkets, do you need to know your PIN?

Also can you get an over-the-counter cash advance without your PIN?

I have a Chip & PIN card issued by a UK bank but I have no PIN (I think it keeps getting stolen in the post in that funny perforated envelope).

Thanks for any feedback.

I think it depends on the credit card machine the shop uses.

I had one of the older ones, and it didn't ask for the PIN. Printed those slips the customer has to sign.

The newer machines (which I'm using now) do ask for the pin-code, and it prints out a slip marked "pin authenticated" which does not have to get signed by the customer!

The newer machines (which I'm using now) do ask for the pin-code, and it prints out a slip marked "pin authenticated" which does not have to get signed by the customer!

Saw a very revealing show on UK television a few months back about how easy it is for criminals and store employees to hack these credit card readers to collect the card numbers and PINS (as they are just little data reading/storage devices). And this was in the UK...you can just imagine what is happening in Thailand with these machines.

You do not need a pin to use a credit card for purchases, however If you use Visa Debit card you need pin. You maybe be able to receive cash advance at bank counter without pin using normal credit card, but remember cash advances using credit cards usually have expensive fees.

I've used US issued Visa and Mastercard's in Tesco, Carrefour and Big C. No pin required, just sign the slip. Used them in Bank branches and money changer booths for cash advance's, again no pin needed, just show passport and sign the slip (old fashioned imprint roller at the banks), The actually called the card issuer for approval code.

I've used US issued Visa and Mastercard's in Tesco, Carrefour and Big C. No pin required, just sign the slip. Used them in Bank branches and money changer booths for cash advance's, again no pin needed, just show passport and sign the slip (old fashioned imprint roller at the banks), The actually called the card issuer for approval code.

Thanks for the feedback. Is this in recent months?

Have you ever had any fraud problems doing this in Thailand?

Thanks.

The PIN code only seems to be used by UK banks, the majority of cards used at my place do not have PIN's, but apparently the majority of UK cards do...

Massive amount of fraud going on in Thailand (and Asia in general). Main things seem to be card skimmers used by shop operators, and the skimmers stuck onto ATM's combined with eitehr a little hidden cam or an operator looking over your shoulder...

With the first one they have the magnetic data of the strip, the fraudsters will copy it onto a fake credit card with their own signature on the back and then go shopping. With the second fraud they'll just empty your account at ATM's...

I use Charles Schwab Debt card (USA). I have used for purchases at Carrefore, Big C and do not use PIN. Just sign slip. Also no Foreign transaction fees using Schwab card. I do use at ATM's for cash withdrawals. I pay the 150 baht fee but that is reimbursed by Schwab at end of month. Good card to have here in Thailand where there are such high cash withdrwel fees at ATM's.

When I received my credit card, there was a PIN in a sealed envelope. I burned this envelope as I don't want to get tempted withdrawing money on credit card (did that once...you would not believe how much they charge you for that!!) ...can I still pay at Monty's place?

When I received my credit card, there was a PIN in a sealed envelope. I burned this envelope as I don't want to get tempted withdrawing money on credit card (did that once...you would not believe how much they charge you for that!!) ...can I still pay at Monty's place?

yes you can.

The PIN you received is only for ATM transactions.

The PIN my machine asks for seems to be only on UK cards called "chip and PIN".

You do not need a pin to use a credit card for purchases, however If you use Visa Debit card you need pin. You maybe be able to receive cash advance at bank counter without pin using normal credit card, but remember cash advances using credit cards usually have expensive fees.

Regarding the Visa "Debit" card remark, you don't need a PIN for a Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Card (a.k.a., Be1st Card). The PIN is only required for ATM transactions. When paying for something at checkout at Lotus, Big C., etc., they just swipe the card and then you sign the slip; just like a credit card.

So just to clarify:

U.K. Credit Card Holders with a 'Chip & PIN card' can use their card with signature only in main supermarkets in Pattaya?

Thanks.

No, they can use it at any place with a credit card terminal. If it is an older model, they will have to sign the slip, if it is a newer "chip & Pin" capable model, they will need to enter their pin. The PIN has to be entered before the transaction gets initiated, i.e. right after inserting the card...

So just to clarify:

U.K. Credit Card Holders with a 'Chip & PIN card' can use their card with signature only in main supermarkets in Pattaya?

Thanks.

No, they can use it at any place with a credit card terminal. If it is an older model, they will have to sign the slip, if it is a newer "chip & Pin" capable model, they will need to enter their pin. The PIN has to be entered before the transaction gets initiated, i.e. right after inserting the card...

Sorry but it is not cut and dried as that. For example, my UK issued chip & PIN credit card is accepted for airline ticket purchases at point-of-sale (not online) WITHOUT the PIN request. The same goes for car rentals (three different companies). However, I have been asked for the PIN at hotels, Robinsons, Central and a few other retail outlets so there is absolutely no fixed rule when you will be asked for a PIN. Also note that it's kinda funny being asked to sign the receipt that clearly states 'no signature required' after using the chip & PIN. I don't argue with them as they are probably as confused as I am!

For the OP, better make the effort to get that PIN from the card issuer just in case.

Edited by NanLaew

So just to clarify:

Thanks.

Sorry but it is not cut and dried as that. For example, my UK issued chip & PIN credit card is accepted for airline ticket purchases at point-of-sale (not online) WITHOUT the PIN request. The same goes for car rentals (three different companies). However, I have been asked for the PIN at hotels, Robinsons, Central and a few other retail outlets so there is absolutely no fixed rule when you will be asked for a PIN. Also note that it's kinda funny being asked to sign the receipt that clearly states 'no signature required' after using the chip & PIN. I don't argue with them as they are probably as confused as I am!

For the OP, better make the effort to get that PIN from the card issuer just in case.

Pretty much what I said!

The airline must have had the old style machine, which can't process the PIN, so you have to sign the slip...Same as the car rental companies.

At the hotels and other locations where they asked for your PIN, they just have the newer machines. It is only pretty recent that they started issuing the newer machine which require the PIN code of the Chip and Pin cards...

^ Sorry Monty, didn't want to come across as disagreeing with your reasoning on old versus new machines; I stand corrected. In hindsight, the non-PIN transactions have been on the traditional, US style, old-fashioned 'swipe' type card reader whereas the PIN-verified transactions have been on the card reader seen in Europe where the card is inserted into the reader and only removed after the PIN has been correctly entered and verified.