ความ And การ

greenwanderer108

For all the linguistic geeks here, what would kwam ความ and garn การ be classified as? They are words that can not stand alone in any situation with specific purpose in a language without inclensions or declensions.

I asked my Thai friend and he couldn't think of any other words in the same class. Surely there must be more in the entire language? What about อย่าง as in the simile? Someone with linguistic insight, please shed light :o

การ and ความ originally mean "matter". Now they are used as noun-forming prefixes. There are other words with similar functions, but not many. The ones I can think of are:

นัก ----- นักเรียน นักเขียน นักประพันธ์ นักหนังสือพิมพ์ นักบวช

ช่าง ---- ช่างเครื่อง ช่างโลหะ ช่างก่อสร้าง

ผู้ ----- ผู้เรียน ผู้สอน ผู้อ่าน ผู้เขียน ผู้ร้าย

เครื่อง ----- เครื่องบิน เครื่องจักร เครื่องเรือน เครื่องอุปโภคบริโภค

Some people think of them as a kind of คำประสม, but if you look at it from a linguistic point of view, they're just "free/bound morphemes".

As for the อย่าง + adjective/adverb pattern, it did not exist in the old days. All the อย่างรวดเร็ว อย่างเชื่องช้า อย่างว่าง่าย อย่างโกรธเกรี้ยว came into the Thai language along with Western influence.

• 2 months later...
For all the linguistic geeks here, what would kwam ความ and garn การ be classified as? They are words that can not stand alone in any situation with specific purpose in a language without inclensions or declensions.

I asked my Thai friend and he couldn't think of any other words in the same class. Surely there must be more in the entire language? What about อย่าง as in the simile? Someone with linguistic insight, please shed light :o

They are qualitative prefixes meaning that for example read is อ่าน if you place the word

การ before it then it means "reading" as in the sense "the reading of books is a good thing"

any verb can be adapted to be qualitative using this prefix..as in eat is gin, garn gin means the act of eating (so maybe it means "the act of").

Puud means speak, garn puud means "speech"

gratam means to do - garn gratam, means "action"

"Garn Ti Waa" (pom mai bai) means "the fact that i am not going" got it?

Kwam is more easy even than that!

happy is (mee) sukh, happiness means "kwam sukh"

to hate means "gliad" hate itself means "kwam gliad"

sia haay means to lose (something) - kwaam sia haay means "Loss"

rak means to love .kwam rak means "Love" (itself)

awn hwai means delicate - kwam awn hwai means "delicacy" ore delicateness

samart means "able" kwam samart means "ability" i think this explains no? :D

Edited by spencerdharmagrafix

การ and ความ originally mean "matter". Now they are used as noun-forming prefixes. There are other words with similar functions, but not many. The ones I can think of are:

นัก ----- นักเรียน นักเขียน นักประพันธ์ นักหนังสือพิมพ์ นักบวช

ช่าง ---- ช่างเครื่อง ช่างโลหะ ช่างก่อสร้าง

ผู้ ----- ผู้เรียน ผู้สอน ผู้อ่าน ผู้เขียน ผู้ร้าย

เครื่อง ----- เครื่องบิน เครื่องจักร เครื่องเรือน เครื่องอุปโภคบริโภค

Some people think of them as a kind of คำประสม, but if you look at it from a linguistic point of view, they're just "free/bound morphemes".

As for the อย่าง + adjective/adverb pattern, it did not exist in the old days. All the อย่างรวดเร็ว อย่างเชื่องช้า อย่างว่าง่าย อย่างโกรธเกรี้ยว came into the Thai language along with Western influence.

Quite right sir1

รวดเร็ว means quick

อย่างรวดเร็ว means quickly

ง่าย means easy

อย่างว่าง่าย means easily so it is like the english adding of ily or just y to indicate the "how" or the way it was done. I thought i would add this note for the less academic readers who dont know what a noun or adjective is. :o

ความ is a prefix which converts an adjective or verb into a noun.

You can also think of ความ in terms of "the quality of" (a verb or an adjective) of "the state of" (a verb or an adjective), "the sense of" (a verb or an adjective) or "the feeling of" (a verb or an adjective).

Similarily,

การ is a nounn (used like a prefix) placed before a verb or noun to create a noun which indicates a general activity, process, or state, the process of..., the activity of..., an enactment of..., the state of...

Edited by Mr. Farang