Can The Farang Image In Thailand Get Any Worse?

Chunky1

The Western economies are doing terrible. The standard of living in the West is depreciating. Western retiree of the baby boomer generations are compounding. The word is out on Thailand and its relentless poverty. As the West continues to unload its dregs onto the shores of Thailand, I ask the question, how much further really is there for the farang image to fall?

A maid costs 6,000 baht a month in Thailand what does it cost in Paris?

I think you are looking for a different thread JingThing. This is not a thread about the cost of living, since it is obviously cheaper here than the West to anyone who isn't living in a bubble.

Edited by Chunky1

Western food and the bar lifestyle can eat away one's budget and a retiree hoping to live like a king may now have to settle for being a prince these days. It depends what you chose to do and where you want to live. I don't think though a trend of low quality farangs retiring here is going to happen. You still have to have lived a pretty smart life to achieve retirement anywhere in the world.

Quoting the OP "The Western economies are doing terrible. The standard of living in the West is depreciating. Western retiree of the baby boomer generations are compounding. The word is out on Thailand and its relentless poverty. As the West continues to unload its dregs onto the shores of Thailand, I ask the question, how much further really is there for the farang image to fall? "

It is true that many of these retirees don't have much money to spend. In the touristy area where I live, there are many retirees spending half the year, typically from November through April. I see them meeting up and drinking beer sitting in front of a minimart. Certainly it will strike Thai people as odd that westerners choose a bench in front of a minimart to do their drinking and socializing, instead of going to a bar or restaurant, but oh well, the vast majority of them is pleasant and well behaved, so I don't think they harm the farang image that much.

Ever the contrarian, I view this as a POSITIVE thing that everyday Thais are realizing not all foreigners are rich. Its healthy to realize people are people, rich and poor of all nationalities.

you really are becoming boring, i used to enjoy your posts.

YAWNS!!!!

when you are talking about living expenses in value of your currency, you really shouldn't compare how much a maid would cost you. it just doesn't fit the argument. talk about milk, bread, housing, schooling, utilities, etc.

if your concern is things like having a maid, then you probably don't have a problem with money...

Rudyard Kipling had this down pat and this quoted from a well worn torn yellowed Lucy's Tiger Den business card

Now it is not wise for the Christian white

To hustle the Asian brown.

For the Christian wiles, and the Asian smiles,

And he weareth the Christian down.

And the end of the fight

Is a tombstone white,

With the name of the late deceased,

And the epitaph drear, "A fool lies here,

Who tried to hustle the East."

RIP

Tiger Rydeberg

I agree, farang's were doomed from when the first Europeans came to the East. Thailand may be a little different, in that the country had little value to them.

"...It depends what you chose to do and where you want to live."

This, also, is very true. If you live in Bangkok, Pattaya, etc., you will be subject to the worst the country has to offer. There are many good people living outside these places. It takes a little time, but you can get past the farang thing depending on how you handle yourself.

Ever the contrarian, I view this as a POSITIVE thing that everyday Thais are realizing not all foreigners are rich. Its healthy to realize people are people, rich and poor of all nationalities.

you really are becoming boring, i used to enjoy your posts.

YAWNS!!!!

I am deeply distraught to hear I am no longer living up to your expectations as a DANCING MONKEY for your entertainment. There are always remedies, my dear:

Sign In - Thailand Forum

Yeah if it gets too dreadful, they can always change the rules on us! It's year to year, don't forget that.

yep , i totally agree ,, we are visitors in LOS .allways will be.

the thai people , and whatever goverments in power ,

are very protective , of their national identity ,

and do not want foreign intrusion .

it,s like builing a house on a swanp .

no long term stability ..

sounds like u r one of those guys who hasn't been back home since 1994.

i promise u that the cost of living in thailand is significantly cheaper than the west.

That's is right but not very many people understand that the Bht revaluation is just starting. China is now talking about revaluing the Yuan up which will have the same effect on the Bht. People should not rely too much on a low bht.

when you are talking about living expenses in value of your currency, you really shouldn't compare how much a maid would cost you. it just doesn't fit the argument. talk about milk, bread, housing, schooling, utilities, etc.

if your concern is things like having a maid, then you probably don't have a problem with money...

Milk is a little more expensive than in Europe, but I only drink it in tea, so not a big problem

Sliced bread from Tesco is the same price in UK and Thailand

Housing is extremely cheap in Thailand, 7000bht a month for 3 bed Thai vs 51000bht a month for same in UK (inc tax)

State school is same in Thailand and the UK ....... free

Utils, much cheaper in Thailand about 1/3 to 1/4 of UK price

So only milk more expensive in Thailand, but I drink less so ended up cheaper.

My food bill for family of 3 in Thailand 200bht/day, in UK 800bht/day.

PS

Housing, my wife complains that I am wasting far too much money renting my house (7000bht/month) she wants me to change to a Thai type property (1800bht/month) or move to here farm in the jungle (0bht/month). So for the doom and gloomers, there are many ways to still save money in Thailand.

@OP (according to my Thai wife)

White mans image in Thailand

Extremely wealthy but foolish with money

Thai mans image in Thailand

Poor, wife beating drunks

Please remember this is only one womans opinion, maybe she was mixing with the wrong type of people (mainly farmers)

Edited by sarahsbloke

You're wrong. I can buy decent housing cheaper now in the US than Thailand.

That is not true, I can bring up average price stats and prove it to you.

In the markets I am comparing, the SPECIFIC markets, it IS true.

To be fair to Jingthing, i think that he is comparing a mansion right on Patong beach to a cardboard shack in an oil-ridden swamp in Louisiana. :D     

Then, that means you are buying property in an "urban" and "diverse" neighborhood.

Edited by zydeco

This girl Chunky1 had some previous posts -- such as all foreign men are "creepy old men" -- that shows both her personal agenda and lack of maturity. I wouldn't take the juvenile ramblings too seriously.

Yup. The post is a clear troll, not sure why so many people have responded

There opinions held by two types.

Those who are so committed they can't withdraw and thus fight to the last. (picture burning boats..)

Those who cautiously observe and see the wrecking ball that is at work irrespective of their preconceived notion of Farang life in the Kingdom.

understanding this makes any further debate futile.

Next...

That is not true, I can bring up average price stats and prove it to you.

Yea yea yea, but here's the kicker:

Are you currently employing a bilingual gardener...? No? Make sure you get hold of one and the prices will drop by a considerable margin, at least on a brand new BMW.

This girl Chunky1 had some previous posts -- such as all foreign men are "creepy old men" -- that shows both her personal agenda and lack of maturity. I wouldn't take the juvenile ramblings too seriously.

Yup. The post is a clear troll, not sure why so many people have responded

+ 1.

:mfr_closed1: