Slime On The Inside Wall Of Fish Tanks.

mellow1

We are noticing that slime is staring to form on the inside wall of the fish tanks. This is something we have been waiting to happen. RBH has given good council towards this, the problem is that this slime is white instead of green. I would like to think that it will turn green soon. Hopefully its nothing negative.

hi

look carefully at it could it be foam? also were in the tank {front back top etc}

were is the tank

It's on the water line, and just above, all the way around the tank. The fish seem to rub on it, or bob up and down against the tank wall where its located. The wife is worried about it, and yesterday has started cleaning that white ring with a formalin and water solution when doing a water change. She thinks its bad, me I don't know. We put maybe a cup of salt in the tanks (1000 liter tanks) after a water change. I doubt that its caused by that, because we are only starting to see this now, but we have been using salt from the beginning.

you can try to educate her on this...ok, you have dogs and and water bucket for them to drink in. They drink after a meal from the bucket, food debits from their mouth and chin drop into the water, but chance, that water bucket is also at a place baking under the sun, you notice the water level is low so you just open the tap and top it up but without throwing the old water away or cleaning the inside of the bucket....after a few days of doing this, slime start to line the inner side of the bucket, a few more days later, the transparent or sometimes cloudy slime start to turn light green, a week or so into it, it's all green...and the dogs will still be healthy.

In layman term, Schmutzdecke are good baterias produce with the help from sunlight, as micro organism, its purpose is to feed on bad bacterias.

( The Schmutzdecke is formed in the first 10-20 days of operation and consists of bacteria, fungi, protozoa, rotifera and a range of aquatic insect larvae. As a Schmutzdecke ages, more algae tend to develop and larger aquatic organisms may be present including some bryozoa, snails and Annelid worms. The Schmutzdecke is the layer that provides the effective purification in potable water treatment, the underlying sand providing the support medium for this biological treatment layer. As water passes through the Schmutzdecke, particles of foreign matter are trapped in the mucilaginous matrix and dissolved organic material is adsorbed and metabolised by the bacteria, fungi and protozoa)

Slow sand filter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Schmutzdecke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

my pleasure mellow...I do admit, it takes some convincing for the locals. I've seen my wife dutifully scrubing the inner wall once when i came home from the farm one day when she did a water change back then, i stopped her just in time ...half of a wall was gone :lol:... She said she felt shy and awkward when customers come to our house to buy fishes...to see the water so green...so i turn on the com and show her acticles in the internet, now she's been educated...LOL...and now she educate other housewifes when ever they query...of course, during drinking session (she felt she's been fed drinks to get her drunk for the purpose of gathering information:D )

Edited by RedBullHorn

Hi Men

being in the country side we have filtered river water as our main supply, the river has dried out and we have had no supply to speak of for over two weeks, the water in our tanks still does'nt smell, the fish are active and no sign of disease (touch wood). Yes we have the emerald green schmutzedecke on the walls, I figure that is keeping the tanks healthy so far, hoping for water or should I say praying for it soon!!

Hi Men

being in the country side we have filtered river water as our main supply, the river has dried out and we have had no supply to speak of for over two weeks, the water in our tanks still does'nt smell, the fish are active and no sign of disease (touch wood). Yes we have the emerald green schmutzedecke on the walls, I figure that is keeping the tanks healthy so far, hoping for water or should I say praying for it soon!!

The Klong here has been dry for some time. Our 2 ponds are getting pretty low on water, a lot of fish in there. We rely on a well for the fish tanks. Hope everyone gets some good rains soon.

Hi Men

The Klong here has been dry for some time. Our 2 ponds are getting pretty low on water, a lot of fish in there. We rely on a well for the fish tanks. Hope everyone gets some good rains soon.

Phew~ mine's over...It has been pouring for the past 1 month plus, i'm getting lots of water now, guess the rain dances i've been doing for the past 5 months pays off :lol: ,just kidding....lots of faith and patient, it will come around... for the past 3-4 years, i've observed our weather patterns are changing tremendously, one year is longer cold season, one year is early rain season then another year is long drought....gobal warming! and now worst, more than 125 million barrels of oil into the sea and it's still not stopping, i'm annoyed !...i felt heavy hearted whenever i stop at the gas sation to top up the fuel tank.:ermm:

Hi Men

It is a real test of resolve at the moment, although our Klong is still running (albut minutely) we are spending 400 baht a day to keep water turning over in our ponds.

The water temperature in our ponds is so high that we cant put our sale fish in the holding nets (they virtually cook in 1 hour) so we have to catch to order which is a pain in the derriere.

luckily the klong water is about 5 degrees lower than in the ponds at this stage.

Just to make the situation worse ,our local Amphur decided to cut off the reticulated water to all the villages for 5 months (without notice )so we are now buying our household water by the truckload.

Still, it could be worse, last night one of the Thai TV channels featured a river net fish farmer with thousands of Pla Nin and Tab Tim dead in his nets owing to the water temperature and associated low dissolved oxygen .

400 THB a day, 12'000 THB a month ! I'm curious to know what you do to all your ponds spending sure big money Ozzy?

Are you using gas engines and long-tail pipes to pump up and turn it back to the ponds? :thumbsup:

Edited by RedBullHorn

400 THB a day, 12'000 THB a month ! I'm curious to know what you do to all your ponds spending sure big money Ozzy?

Are you using gas engines and long-tail pipes to pump up and turn it back to the ponds? :thumbsup:

We are using gas centrifigals as the long tail wont push the height to the highest pond , the overflows are set to pass the top 4 inches of water ( the warmest )and pass to the rice paddies .

There another couple of fish farms on the klong and we agreed during the disease problems last year ,not to return pond water to the klong.

They will not permit the installation of a big electric pump on the klong for some reason , no particular reason ,all we got was "cannot" when we applied last year.

We save a bit on not having to run the air pump as the water change is keeping dissolved oxy levels in the safe zone.

Overcast today ,so might get a downpour to cool things down a bit. :jap: