About 90 Day Reporting On Ed Visa

A guy I know went the other week for a 90 checkin on an ed visa and he said they did a bit of an interview in Thai, to see if he was learning anything. He didn't mention anything about papers from the school, but better safe than sorry. They seem to love paperwork.

I have been on this "extension of stay based on education" for some years now.

You only need to fill out the 90- day report.

It's for TM 47 or something like that.

It just has your name and address, it's only purpose is to verify your address, and that you are staying for another 90 days.

There is no cost.

It takes 5 minutes.

Anyone saying you need something more does not know the rules and is likely not on such a status.

90 day reports are used for many "extension of stays", the staff reviewing them really don't care much about the details of your stay because 90 day reports are handled by basic staff who are not certifying officers.

What province are you in? It helps to know because we all have details for each immigration office and can say with some small measure of certainty what's a good idea to bring based on the officers we know at that center.

The rules however for 90 day are just your passport, a filled out 90 day report (hey why not do it in Thai, I do, and they love it, doing it in english just makes you look like you aren't really studying).

A guy I know went the other week for a 90 checkin on an ed visa and he said they did a bit of an interview in Thai, to see if he was learning anything. He didn't mention anything about papers from the school, but better safe than sorry. They seem to love paperwork.

what office? I keep hearing this story but it seems to be a rumor more often than not.

what office? I keep hearing this story but it seems to be a rumor more often than not.

Phuket Immigration Office, Phuket town. He told me some of his classmates asked him if the interview went alright. He said I thought they were just being friendly, but they spoke Thai to me for a bit...

I have been on this "extension of stay based on education" for some years now.

You only need to fill out the 90- day report.

It's for TM 47 or something like that.

It just has your name and address, it's only purpose is to verify your address, and that you are staying for another 90 days.

There is no cost.

It takes 5 minutes.

Anyone saying you need something more does not know the rules and is likely not on such a status.

90 day reports are used for many "extension of stays", the staff reviewing them really don't care much about the details of your stay because 90 day reports are handled by basic staff who are not certifying officers.

What province are you in? It helps to know because we all have details for each immigration office and can say with some small measure of certainty what's a good idea to bring based on the officers we know at that center.

The rules however for 90 day are just your passport, a filled out 90 day report (hey why not do it in Thai, I do, and they love it, doing it in english just makes you look like you aren't really studying).

It appears you have a 1 year extension based on education, this is usually only issued to students enrolling full time university.

A lot of people are here studying the Thai language, in that case immigration will only give 90 day extensions every 3 months, and this requires proof that you are still following classes (provided by your language school).

The cost of each extension is 1,900 Baht, and indeed there are reports that there is some sort of interview, however it seems to be just some very casual questions, which should come easy to anybody actually studying Thai...

As said above there are two normal 90 day reporting activities.

1. Anyone staying more than 90 days without leaving must report there current address to Immigration using TM.47 and the only paperwork would be the form and passport although they might ask for some proof of address.

2. ED 90 day extensions of stay (normally for language study) which require passport, TM.7 form with current photo and 1,900 baht. Normally a letter from school will also be required to confirm class attendance.

I went for my 90 day extension on my Ed. visa and paid the Fee $1900 bhat. The immigration officer looked at my passport and said I was in very good shape for a 59 year old man. I thanked him for the compliment. There were no questions, no interviews, at Chaeng Wattana. I did speak as much Thai as I could to him.

"A lot of people are here studying the Thai language, in that case immigration will only give 90 day extensions every 3 months, and this requires proof that you are still following classes (provided by your language school)."

I was under the impression that some people study Thai at a university and are able to get a year extension.

OP, if you really are talking about the 90 day address reporting, I think they will want to see your passport, copy of last 90 day report and maybe the TM card (departure card).

Edited by TerryLH

As said above there are two normal 90 day reporting activities.

1. Anyone staying more than 90 days without leaving must report there current address to Immigration using TM.47 and the only paperwork would be the form and passport although they might ask for some proof of address.

2. ED 90 day extensions of stay (normally for language study) which require passport, TM.7 form with current photo and 1,900 baht. Normally a letter from school will also be required to confirm class attendance.

1. Agree. This is when you already have a year-visa (correctly: extension of stay) and are allowed to stay. It still requires you to report your address at the immi every 90 days. I don't know why this is required, as it only cossts the government and the expatriates time and money. Does anybody have any idea why this this regulation exists at all?

2. An extension of stay is a different thing, and I believe the OP mixed this up. Of course, he will have to bring his passport and most importantly a letter from his accredited teaching institution, if he wants to extend his permission to stay. I was on an ED visa for three years when I studied for my MBA, though the extension was always for one year, not only 90 days. Nevertheless the 90-day reporting (not extension) applied. But I guess it depends on the institution, maybe langauge students get only 90-day extensions.

Reporting address every 90 days allows immigration to find you if they need to and that is why the rule is in place. Living in Mexico is much the same but there, any change of address has to be reported as opposed to every 90 days. Remember they have a file on you.

Reporting address every 90 days allows immigration to find you if they need to and that is why the rule is in place. Living in Mexico is much the same but there, any change of address has to be reported as opposed to every 90 days. Remember they have a file on you.

I do understand that they want to know where you live. In many countries, both locals and foreigners alike have to report when they *move* residence. That doesn't explain why expatriates in Thailand have to report their (unchanged) residence every 90 days.

It is a clause in the Immigration Act of 31 years ago under section 37 that until recently was not actively enforced. But in this decade of terrorist cross border travels it has become more so.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

I do understand that they want to know where you live. In many countries, both locals and foreigners alike have to report when they *move* residence. That doesn't explain why expatriates in Thailand have to report their (unchanged) residence every 90 days.

As mentioned it is the law of the land! I don't know what type of school my "friend" is attending here in my first post on this thread about an "interview" in Thai. But I went to Phuket Immigration today for a one year extension on my O-A visa, the immigration officer asked me if I could speak Thai? And then started off with we don't give retirement visa anymore, you have to go back to your home country for that! All in Thai. I laughed! Spoke to him in Thai and he laughed copied the one new thing this year, no charge, a copy of your ATM card, since I'm on A "pension." Ah, really, okay... Then joked with me some more about USA won In world cup. By then my GF was bored and came over to ask what was going on, as no one was there. He said to her; "you come see me alone, he tell me he come alone!" Meaning I told him I came alone. He was bored out of his mind! Asked me if I had kids, I said not here, just a dog, asked one or two... A very amusing interesting experience!

Edited by Jimi007