Scoozi

TheLaughingMan

Last week they charged me for 3 bottles of water, and I received only 2, I was in a hurry so I said I'd pay it, and they put up no arguement to that, I just wanted to express my frustration about it

Hi Op,

Reason for edit, I was going to question if you spoke Thai. However, after rereading I see that you do not.

You could try learning the language, or getting a better grasp at the tones if you already speak Thai or better yet ty letting your Thai girlfriend do the ordering > Before tossing around words like "Escapes Them"!

Enjoy you stay

Jai Yen

:jap:

yeh next time u order, just say "Mai Ped" pretty easy, so they understand that u don't want it spicy... if u can't eat spicy this should probably be one the first things u should learn how to say in thai.. lol

Hi Op,

Reason for edit, I was going to question if you spoke Thai. However, after rereading I see that you do not.

You could try learning the language, or getting a better grasp at the tones if you already speak Thai or better yet ty letting your Thai girlfriend do the ordering > Before tossing around words like "Escapes Them"!

Enjoy you stay

Jai Yen

yeh next time u order, just say "Mai Ped" pretty easy, so they understand that u don't want it spicy... if u can't eat spicy this should probably be one the first things u should learn how to say in thai.. lol

So all you have to do is to make sure you use the correct "mai" (5 of them) and the right "ped".

;)

Hi Op,

Enjoy you stay

Jai Yen

So all you have to do is to make sure you use the correct "mai" (5 of them) and the right "ped".

;)

Really?? what else would it mean? as I've never had a problem when using it to say non spicy, they always understand....But I sometimes do want a little bit spicy so I say Ped nid noi, and they get that too.......

I am also puzzled why the OP didn't let his wife handle it. I can understand ordering himself if he has done so before successfully. However once things deteriorate the first thing I would do is put a Thai on the phone to deal with it. I am assuming his wife must speak enough English he can actually communicate with her.

I still don't understand why you would expect a credit and your money back?

I dont know.... I just have always received something after a major screw up from a restaurant, even Thai ones I'm now remembering. But that isn't the real affront, it was the fact that they never even considered just taking a new order so I could eat.... just weird and bad customer service.

I work in the Hospitality industry and it always baffles me as to why people insist they should receive something for free if they believe they received sub standard service..

Do you go to the car dealership and demand a free car because the sales rep screwed up?

or do you demand free medical services from your doctor when he fails to diagnose your symptoms?

What about your accountant do you refuse to pay him if he miscalculates your return?

NO?

So why is it people expect that in the food service industry?

I work in the Hospitality industry and it always baffles me as to why people insist they should receive something for free if they believe they received sub standard service..

Do you go to the car dealership and demand a free car because the sales rep screwed up?

or do you demand free medical services from your doctor when he fails to diagnose your symptoms?

What about your accountant do you refuse to pay him if he miscalculates your return?

NO?

Because it's usually the food that is improperly cooked, or wrong ingredients, or sloppy handling, that merits a new dish.

Furthermore, a restaurant's success is dependent on repeat custom, whereas the examples you listed above aren't quite the same.

In your example - if the car was scratched or wasn't new as advertised, I would certainly demand a new car. If the doctor treated me incorrectly, I sure would demand he provide the correct treatment (if I were still alive), and if the accountant incorrectly calculates my return, I would certainly ask for compensation.

Draw the correct examples, and maybe you will understand why people expect to be compensated when the food they are served is not right.

Edited by onethailand

NO?

Because it's usually the food that is improperly cooked, or wrong ingredients, or sloppy handling, that merits a new dish.

Furthermore, a restaurant's success is dependent on repeat custom, whereas the examples you listed above aren't quite the same.

In your example - if the car was scratched or wasn't new as advertised, I would certainly demand a new car. If the doctor treated me incorrectly, I sure would demand he provide the correct treatment (if I were still alive), and if the accountant incorrectly calculates my return, I would certainly ask for compensation.

Draw the correct examples, and maybe you will understand why people expect to be compensated when the food they are served is not right.

Actually if you have worked in the food industry often you will find that the customer will eat everything on his/her plate or 90% of the meal and then demand a full refund.

I agree if you turn the food away without touching it or after one or 2 bites I would certainty replace or refund but not both.

But more often than not you will find people come to a restaurant and eat a full meal only to come to pay the bill and raise a complaint about the quality, quantity, taste, etc but they were only to happy to eat the meal first.

This is what I was commenting about sorry if I did not explain properly.

Actually if you have worked in the food industry often you will find that the customer will eat everything on his/her plate or 90% of the meal and then demand a full refund.

I agree if you turn the food away without touching it or after one or 2 bites I would certainty replace or refund but not both.

But more often than not you will find people come to a restaurant and eat a full meal only to come to pay the bill and raise a complaint about the quality, quantity, taste, etc but they were only to happy to eat the meal first.

This is what I was commenting about sorry if I did not explain properly.

Two different things, if you ask me. If they've consumed 90% of the food then clearly that is ridiculous, that's like driving a car for 100K miles then complaining that the gas consumption did not live up to the average published MPG. Replace/refund is up to you as long as you keep the customer in mind.

Once I was at a steakhouse in San Antonio, Texas with about 10 other people. The waiter was so obnoxious that we immediately raised a complaint with the manager - who proceeded to apologize profusely, removed the waiter from our area, and promised us a free meal if we paid for this one.

We went back for the free meal a few days later and the manager was good to his word - needless to say, if I lived in San Antonio I would've been plenty happy to continue to patronize his establishment - at no time did we ever consider asking for a refund because the food was quite good to begin with. We would never have gone back though simply because of the poor service, except that the manager more than made up for it.

Once restauranteurs see the customers as long-term meal tickets who regularly patronize their establishments, that's when they will attain success. But if they treat customers as one-time visitors, they will have to work hard just to survive.

<P>So you order arrived wrong, you had communciation issues.... big deal. If the owner / manager was not in the premsies at the time as was likley the case then no discount can proably be provided. If you are asking the order taker to pay you back (which is what would happen) then you are just wasting your time and their time pal.</P>

I am also puzzled why the OP didn't let his wife handle it. I can understand ordering himself if he has done so before successfully. However once things deteriorate the first thing I would do is put a Thai on the phone to deal with it. I am assuming his wife must speak enough English he can actually communicate with her.

Wife?! If only I were so lucky! :lol:

In the end I landed up caving in and ordering pizza from them again..... I'm a sucker for their spicy pizza.... so they only lost like a month of my business lol

oh and to clarify a bit, I was a waiter and bartender for about 8 years, so know all about service and the steps taken to satisfy customers, of course... in North America.

Edited by TheLaughingMan

Hi OP,

Glad to see you posting again..I remember seeing a post of yours a while back when you were having a hard time on the girlfriend front....good to see you're back on the saddle again, in more ways then one ;):)

Hey! I fixed my girlfriend problems! I was so lonely! But now have too much on my plate (this is what I call a happy problem). 2 words.... internet....dating.... its frickin awesome. Working out really well for me, too much so.:lol:

Hi Op,

Enjoy you stay

Jai Yen

Ya but in all fairness I wasn't insinuating they couldn't understand my english, I was saying they don't understand customer service which is universal in any language. I do have a fairly good excuse for not speaking thai well, never had a Thai girlfriend and all my work is done in english and Japanese... never get a chance to practice.... but my Taxi and Thai food Thai is fluent! lol

I dont know.... I just have always received something after a major screw up from a restaurant, even Thai ones I'm now remembering. But that isn't the real affront, it was the fact that they never even considered just taking a new order so I could eat.... just weird and bad customer service.

NO?

Given the terrible analogies you give and your less than sympathetic stand point I can not believe you work in any type of sales.

• 2 months later...

NO?

Given the terrible analogies you give and your less than sympathetic stand point I can not believe you work in any type of sales.

God no I actually despise sales they are the bane of my work day..

Nothing worse than some Un educated moron promising everything to make the sale and then passing it off to the person who has to provide the service as their problem.