Leaving For The Uk - Cancel Work Permit?

Hi. I am due to leave my current job in Thailand, to go back to the UK next month. I am currently on a non-imm visa (that expires early next year) and I have a work permit. The thing is, I really need my last month's pay from my employer, which will come through about 2 days before I leave. I would love to give my employer notice now about the fact I am leaving, but they have often held employee's money back in the past (or not paid them at all), so I may have to just leave without letting them know in order to ensure I get money that is rightfully owed to me.

Anyway, I was just wondering what is the best thing to do, in terms of my work permit / visa? Can I just leave the country with it still running, considering the fact that I will not be returning for at least a year. Can I cncel it myself? If I do cancel it do I have to leave the country the same day? Also, can it be cancelled with just a phone call?

Thanks if someone can offer any pointers, much appreciated!

The work permit itself doesn't need to be returned, but your employer should write a letter to the labor department stating your employment has ended on ********. This cancels your work permit.

So as soon as you have your pay, go to your employer and ask him for the letter and take it to the labour office.

You also might need to cancel your permission to stay, if you are on an extension of stay from immigration. You will have to elave the same day your employment ends. As you won't do that, you can get a 7 day extension from immigration for 1,900 baht. Again take a letter from your employer stating the date your employment ended.

Mario, quick question if I may. I am leaving my position as of 30th however my visa (yearly extension based on work) is due in October.

As it may take me a couple of months to get new employment sorted, what are my options as you see it. I am married and originally entered on a Non-O visa a couple years back before taking my current job.

Any tips / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James

You can revert to an extension of stay based on your marriage, if you can show 40,000 a month income (can be from abroad) or have 400,000 in your name in a bank account in Thailand for at least 2 months.

You can get a 60 day extension of stay based on your Thai wife in stead of the normal 7 days others would get. That gives you more time to season the money in the bank or find another job.

If all else fails you can get a free double tourist visa from Vientiane, that should sort you out for 6 to 7 months.

You can revert to an extension of stay based on your marriage, if you can show 40,000 a month income (can be from abroad) or have 400,000 in your name in a bank account in Thailand for at least 2 months.

You can get a 60 day extension of stay based on your Thai wife in stead of the normal 7 days others would get. That gives you more time to season the money in the bank or find another job.

If all else fails you can get a free double tourist visa from Vientiane, that should sort you out for 6 to 7 months.

So just that I am clear, option two is possible, guess I need all the usual paperwork like signed copies of the marriage certificate etc I imagine?

Thanks again.

The 60 day extension doesn't require as much as the 1 year extension based on marriage in the sense you will get it on the spot and they won't visit your house. But you do need to show up with the misses and the usual papers. Best to call them in advance, as every office has its own requirements for documents they want to see.

The 60 day extension doesn't require as much as the 1 year extension based on marriage in the sense you will get it on the spot and they won't visit your house. But you do need to show up with the misses and the usual papers. Best to call them in advance, as every office has its own requirements for documents they want to see.

Ok cheers, I guess it's the new office out near Nonthaburi since I live in Bangkok.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am on a 1 - year extended stay visa. So, if I want to avoid paying the 1900 extension fee, I should see my boss and obtain this letter on the morning of my flight, take it to the labour department and then go to immigration and inform them I am leaving on that day. Can this second part be done at the airport? Just out of interest, what would happen if I just attempted to leave without cancelling the permit / visa? It just seems like quite a lot to do before a long flight later in the day! Thanks for all the advice so far!

quote name='Mario2008' date='2010-06-22 08:28' timestamp='1277170139' post='3702654']

The work permit itself doesn't need to be returned, but your employer should write a letter to the labor department stating your employment has ended on ********. This cancels your work permit.

So as soon as you have your pay, go to your employer and ask him for the letter and take it to the labour office.

You also might need to cancel your permission to stay, if you are on an extension of stay from immigration. You will have to elave the same day your employment ends. As you won't do that, you can get a 7 day extension from immigration for 1,900 baht. Again take a letter from your employer stating the date your employment ended.

Some people seem to be in trouble over not cancelling their work permit if they ever want to work in Thailand again. Don't know if you can post the letter to them by registered mail, with a copy or original of your work permit.

As far as immigration is concerned, if you don't have a re-entry permit leaving the country would automatically cancel your permission to stay. So if you don't have a re-entry permit and leave the day your employment ends there is no need to go to immigration.

Except if a helpful Immigration officer on the way out spots the extension of stay and no re-entry permit and asks questions and when he finds out sends you back to your home location Immigration to cancel the extension of stay as was reported here several months ago. Not likely to happen but did for him.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Sorry to drag up and old post! Anyway, since starting this thread I have now been paid my salary and talked to my boss, who was a lot more helpful than I had anticipated. She says she is happy to write a letter for me that will state that my last day if work is on Wednesday (the date of my flight). Can someone just confirm what exactly it needs to say? She also said she will sign it for me if I write it out. Is there anything else i will need to bring with me to immigration, other than passport. And will it be a problem that, supposedly, my last day of work was on the same day I turn up at Immigration (probably early in the morning).

Thanks if anyon can help!