What Percentage Of Your Monthly Income To You Put Towards Rent?

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That is actually a good question.

I'm hoping to retire in 3 years and be able to generate a monthly income of around Baht 200,000. Where I'd like to rent in Pattaya is around Baht 65,000 a month so I think 33% of your income wuld be about right.

If I don't have enough money to generate Baht 200,000 a month, I'll either keep working or rent somewhere cheaper, I haven't decided which yet

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are browsing apartment prices on the net. These adverts are for naive gullible foreigners only. Thais don't find accommodation on the net and if they do, they don't pay stupid tourist prices.

I meant to comment on this the other day. I understand what you are saying but this isnt ENTIRELY true.

There are plenty of websites in Thai Language that offer rentals for Thai. They are widely used too. From looking at a couple of those sights they offer somre good apartments and condos in virtually all the price ranges. There was no shortage of apartments/condos in the 7,000-12,000 baht per month range in bkk.

The idea that thais don't use the websites isnt right.

I'm hoping to retire in 3 years and be able to generate a monthly income of around Baht 200,000. Where I'd like to rent in Pattaya is around Baht 65,000 a month so I think 33% of your income wuld be about right.

If I don't have enough money to generate Baht 200,000 a month, I'll either keep working or rent somewhere cheaper, I haven't decided which yet

well done for getting that in

well done for getting that in

Sorry, I was only responding to the OP's question. I'm sure there are many people living in Pattaya with more money than me, you're obviously not one of them :thumbsup:

^ you have only hi jacked this thread to say how much money you have blink.gif, pretty sad really

I'm not sure you've read my post correctly ;) I wrote that I would spend 65,000 rent on income of 200,000 Baht, which is approx 33% of my income which was in direct response to the OP's question. I'm not sure how this is hijacking a thread :o

Maybe you would have preferred it if I'd have wrote I that will spend 65,000 Baht a month which is 33% of my income.

I can't see the reason to bignote myself on a board where I'll probably never meet anyone, if you find it "pretty sad really" with replies that try to help someone, then I really don't know why you would belong to a forum.

The OP asked what percentage, not how much money you have.

FYI I am comfortable, been here 8 years, and I am now 41 years young

The OP writes about Baht amounts in his original post B)

Congratulations on living 8 years in Pattaya and being 41 years young :offtopic:

Knee not playing up anymore :o

Edited by Seizetheday

Congratulations on living 8 years in Pattaya and being 41 years young :offtopic:

Replying to What Percentage Of Your Monthly Income To You Put Towards Rent?

Are u daft?

So where is the cheapest eat all you can buffet around Bangkok ? Any "balloon" events coming up at Silom/Sathorn, could save me few baht. But anyways i'm gonna move to somewhere else because of the ATM fees and due to the fact that Thai goverment has manipulated my baht/dollar/euro so weak i cant afford it anymore.

One more nail to the coffin.

Thailand would be nice place if they just had good burgers in CM.

How's that for collecting all days discussions in one thread ?

Replying to What Percentage Of Your Monthly Income To You Put Towards Rent?

Are u daft?

Unbelievable, You try and give a reasonable answer and all the Cheap Charlies try and get all aggro :bah:

Would 50% of your income be a suitable rent in falangland? The question and the answer are the same anywhere.

Not trying to get into a back and forth, but it's totally different for me in California for a few reasons:

Making payments on a vehicle is a fairly expensive thing to do, especially when you factor in the cost of full-coverage auto insurance. Also, let's not forget about gas prices.

Additionally, food costs are significantly higher here in California. Consider the fact that a plate of Pad Thai costs about 5-7 US Dollars here whereas an equally delicious plate of Pad Thai costs 1 US Dollar in Thailand. Even simple things like bottled water at 7/11 is much more expensive here in California.

Also, if I wanted to rent a decent 1 Bedroom condo here in Southern California, we're talking quite a bit of money especially considering all that you are really getting (small place, unfurnished)

As it stands, I currently live in a house with roommates, so I try to keep my rent costs down as much as possible.

In Thailand, roommates wont even be a consideration for me. And without the costs of leasing a vehicle, paying the insurance, gas, etc. I will have freed up those monthly expenses.

The reason I posed the question is there are probably other factors in the cost of living in Bangkok that I had not considered. But in my mind, I had begun exploring the idea of putting more of my monthly salary towards my housing expenses and finally have a nice place all to myself...

You have valid points, only problem is that your salary at 60k is not enough to do this. If you rent a nice place at sathorn or silom at 30k, pay your taxes, utility bills, food etc you have nothing left. So no life apart from sitting in yr apartment eating mama noodles.

Different story if you would be making 200k or over a month.

The reason I posed the question is there are probably other factors in the cost of living in Bangkok that I had not considered. But in my mind, I had begun exploring the idea of putting more of my monthly salary towards my housing expenses and finally have a nice place all to myself...

I think some people on this thread are trying to help you - rent is cheaper in Bangkok, internet might be slower and more costly. You'll find imported drinks, foods, electronics and other goods are considerably more than the US and you'll easily blow through 60k without blinking. The US population hammers down prices in a way you may not have previously considered. You're a young guy, so you can relate to how the new XBOX 360 slim in USD 299 from amazon.com, yet an old, chipped discontinued Arcade with no warranty from a Bangkok shop will cost 11,000 baht - almost USD 340.

You might, on the other hand, consider putting more money towards entertainment in BK, not accomodation. For all I know you could be living the high-life in SoCal, but if not, BK may offer certain 'diversions'. People I personally know or have met who subscribe to the whole night-life scene generally do so by spending comparatively little on everything else, inc. rent.

Additionally, food costs are significantly higher here in California. Consider the fact that a plate of Pad Thai costs about 5-7 US Dollars here whereas an equally delicious plate of Pad Thai costs 1 US Dollar in Thailand. Even simple things like bottled water at 7/11 is much more expensive here in California.

I bought US Ribeye beef from Cosco at under USD15 a kg. The same will cost over USD40 in Bangkok... :lol:

The point is, will your salary in the US be equal to Bt50-60k to compare cost of living in this manner?

What you earn and what you pay for rent in the USA is irrelevant. So is cost of cars and insurance and food. Earn more, pay more. Big deal. The question is about rent.

In Thailand, earn less and pay less. Absolute sums aren't the issue. Paying 50% of income for accommodation anywhere is nuts.

Those owning their own place of residence cannot vote ... :jap:

INDEED. Your real costs EXCEED any of those mentioned here. :lol:

I don't know - my mortgage payments in Thailand are less than 7% of my salary which is the reason I didn't vote.

(I only go above 10% if I include the electricity bill - LOTS of aircons...)

Those owning their own place of residence cannot vote ... :jap:

INDEED. Your real costs EXCEED any of those mentioned here. :lol:

I don't know - my mortgage payments in Thailand are less than 7% of my salary which is the reason I didn't vote.

(I only go above 10% if I include the electricity bill - LOTS of aircons...)

Yes, sorry I was trying to be smart. I'm understanding where you are at but my comment was more directed at buying a house where you can't technically legally own it.

I didnt vote either because my rent as a percentage is low like yours, actually a bit lower, but its all relative. Anyway, I don't like living in a dump, done that before & not now, BUT theres absolutely NO WAY I would be spending 30, 40, 50% of my income on RENT. Thats scarey.

Avoid renting off the net. Its for lazy bozos.

You don't have to live in Silom/Sathorn, within 10 min walk of skytrain gives lots of choice.

Rent a decent 10-12K pad for a month and go looking. Make use of Thai co-workers.

Get a place with a pool. Its nice after work or on Sat/Sun morning.

This is the best advice on here.

I agree that you should wait to make any decision on a long term lease.

Get something temporary, ask around, look around, be diligent and you will be happier (and for a much better price)

Already you have done one wise thing: asking for advice.

Now, sifting through some of the posts is necessary (and learn something about thaivisa, not all posters are out for your best interests)

Good luck and have fun.

Wow has a can of worms been opened.

Yes i did read the post and did vote.

It is amazing the costs in OZ compared to Thailand.

I wish i was there now my money would have me live as a king.

Or was it a queen, not really going to say LAMO :shock1:

If you want to be a hermit and having a nice cave is the most important thing on your agenda, then move to a small mid-western town.

If you want to live and work (and enjoy) in Bangkok, then 20-25% is reasonable. If you spend much more, then why bother moving half way across the world? You will not have enough to leave your cave and you certainly will not have enough to see the rest of Thailand.

Edited by Pacificperson

I rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment with western standard in the sathorn area with good security and large swimming pool. I pay only 15000 , I think its a good price for the location and standard.

Just look around and you will find the good offers.

I've finalized the details with my company and will be getting paid 50,000 per month. I have decided to rent for no more than 13,000 per month based off of a lot of good advice I've received. If I find something nice for less, then I'll pat myself on the back ;)

~25% of my monthly wages seems like a solid proportion.

I've finalized the details with my company and will be getting paid 50,000 per month. I have decided to rent for no more than 13,000 per month based off of a lot of good advice I've received. If I find something nice for less, then I'll pat myself on the back ;)

~25% of my monthly wages seems like a solid proportion.

your company surely will have a few nice thai girls who can take care of your housing problem with you. (and no i do not mean this in a undecent way)

balo is right.

You should be ok paying 13K and maybe less if you don't want a 2-bed. You are a single guy and you don't need much.

I'd say a 1-bed apt, that way you don't have to make your bed every day nor does it to be a sofa bed. Living all in one room gets old quickly.

Try to get a pool to offer relief and relaxation with tunes or a good book. It means you can stay home too without being cooped up. And be within walking distance of a skytrain stop, say max 500m, less is better. Don't leap at the first place you see, there is a lot available. Be prepared to pay first and last.

Chok dee.