Thai Tour Operators Complain About Expensive Domestic Airfares

webfact

Tour Operators Complain about Expensive Domestic Airfares

BANGKOK: -- Tour operators have criticized local airlines for expensive domestic flights, saying that costly tickets are discouraging Thais from traveling within the country.

President of the Association of Domestic Travel, or ADT, Maiyarat Peerayakoset said expensive domestic airfares have recently been a stumbling block to local tourism, driving away Thai travelers.

She noted that certain domestic flights cost even more than international flights. For example, Phuket airfares are more expensive than flights to Singapore.

Maiyarat added that both the national airline, Thai Airways, and low-cost carriers are charging very high prices. She cautioned that low-cost flights may not be as cheap as they seem, since there are a very limited number of seats available and passengers may have to pay extra fees for additional services.

She said that what we have seen as good value-for-the-money offers actually end up being just a marketing ploy to lure customers into paying more, while normal ticket prices on budget airlines, in many cases, are almost the same as premium carriers.

The ADT president stated that with high airfares, it is more difficult for tour operators to create attractive packages. Meanwhile, individual travelers may have to plan their trips very early in order to get cheap tickets.

Maiyarat went on to say that her club will submit a letter seeking discussions with the Tourism and Sports Minister Chumphon Silapa-archa regarding the issue and the possibility of lowering domestic airfare prices.

Recently, the letter was received by Chumphon, who said he would discuss the matter with Transport Minister Sophon Sarum.

However, the Tourism and Sports Minister said it might not yet be necessary to call a meeting of all airline operators regarding this matter.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-06-22

footer_n.gif

it's very true. domestic airfares are not much different to international ticket prices, not to mention that thai's pay 30-50% more on hotel room rates then a western tourist, therefore of course it's more attractive to travel overseas.

There is also a bonus with international flights , one can accrue airmiles toward future flights even to the point of a free flight , you also get to see how the rest of the world lives and enjoys itself , that can be a bonus all of itself .

Edited by dumball

I'm not sure I agree, I find local prices on budget airlines to be competitive with the rest of the region and largely consistent with travel abroad. They have gone up somewhat recently but comparing them with budget flights internationally isn't fair, you might find a good deal to Singapore but on the whole it's not cheaper.

Sounds like another complaining tour operator looking to pin the blame on the govt or someone else to cover their own inadequate marketing.

Lately I've also found that all airlines have made a effort to display the true price of the ticket early in the booking process online, and alot in advertising.

Wasn't it about four months ago that Thai Airways announced a 46% increase for flights to and from Phuket and 64% increase form Phuket to Chang Mai? Great plan! Late February I flew from Phuket round trip to Bangkok on One to Go for the same pice as one way on Thai Airways. I wonder why business is down! Air Asia was about the same as One to Go in price, if you book early.

Not sure why it's the airlines responsibility to subsidize tour operators / hotels.

Airlines (most) have a very fluid pricing system based on demand - meaning generally they start off with low fares (first 10%) then see how bookings are coming along. If it remains solid they don't move it too much (but will gradually increase) until they get 70-80% full. The remaining % are sold at premium.

The cost operating a half full vs full flight doesn't change that much - especially for short haul.

Perhaps if they lowered their room rates, more demand could be achieved. 

Roomrates already are so low. I am counting many and many hotels (especially huge 5*) where you can get "Stay2\Pay1", which means 50% discount withoun cutting any single 5-starred service...

Roomrates already are so low. I am counting many and many hotels (especially huge 5*) where you can get "Stay2\Pay1", which means 50% discount withoun cutting any single 5-starred service...

funny i just went on one of the sponsors of this site's website and didn't see much of these stay 2 pay 1 that you refer to in Phuket?

http://www.agoda.com/pages/agoda/default/DestinationSearchResult.aspx

Hmmm... I wonder why people are not visiting Thailand?

Red Shirts? Danger? Yeah, whatever, most people don't even know about Red Shirts in the US.

What people do know is that plane tickets from the East Coast to BKK are about $1800 right now. Why bother going to Thailand when you can take a 2 week vacation in the Carribean/etc for the amount of money it would take you to just fly to Thailand. Add the fact that both EU and US economies are in a slump and it explains lower tourism.

I'm not sure I agree, I find local prices on budget airlines to be competitive with the rest of the region and largely consistent with travel abroad. They have gone up somewhat recently but comparing them with budget flights internationally isn't fair, you might find a good deal to Singapore but on the whole it's not cheaper.

Sounds like another complaining tour operator looking to pin the blame on the govt or someone else to cover their own inadequate marketing.

Lately I've also found that all airlines have made a effort to display the true price of the ticket early in the booking process online, and alot in advertising.

Thai Airways have on their website a section called "Super Deals" where they advertise special low fares on specific dates - presumably to fill empty seats. However, if you decide to book this "bargain", then they slap on taxes / surcharges which are often the same amount again, thus doubling the price. Not what I would call making an effort . And it still seems to me that Thai Airways is using excessive surcharges, even now.

I also find it bizarre that my local travel agent can usually quote a cheaper price for a THAI ticket, even including the markup, AND the credit card surcharge, than I can find on the THAI website. But then I have to remember that foreigners simply do not understand the Thai way of doing business.

There is also a bonus with international flights , one can accrue airmiles toward future flights even to the point of a free flight , you also get to see how the rest of the world lives and enjoys itself , that can be a bonus all of itself .

But why would Thai travellers want to see how the rest of the world lives, when their own country is perfect and the best in the world anyway?

Given the choice - fly Phuket or Singapore - Singapore wins hands down every time. Hotels are slightly more expensive but English is clearly spoken, you don't have to deal with the Thai Mafia, Tuk Tuk Mafia, Beach Lounge chair Mafia, far more efficient customs and pass through than standing in queues in Phuket! And did I mention the tourists ripoffs in Phuket?

No the airlines are just part of the overall scam. Thai in particular have at least put newer aircraft on the leg but they and Bangkok Airways are the most expensive of the lot. But then compare to Air Asia, Nok and 1-2 Go, etc and they all work out pretty much the same depending what time you fly.

Maybe they are trying to say - if you are stupid enough to want to go to Phuket, then you deserve to get ripped off starting with us!

ph34r.gif

I find nothing in Phuket attractive, only marginally the beaches but all else sux. Even the bar girls!

bah.gif

Edited by asiawatcher

Given the choice - fly Phuket or Singapore - Singapore wins hands down every time.  Hotels are slightly more expensive 

I have not been to Singapore or Phuket for a while, but in the past there was no comparison. i know that Phuket is not as cheap as other places in Thailand, but would guess that a fairly comfortable fan room is not that difficult to find for 500 baht. You would have a heck of a time finding anything close to that in a convenient part of Singapore. 

Its actually pretty funny, domestic prices have come down recently but the local tour operators started to complain now???

So previously when tourism was high and high demand they had no problem over charging on the actual tour by like 500% if not more but now that tourism is down, and they do not make as much, rather then dropping tour prices they are complaining about airfares.

Little like the street stools, they do not make any sales all day, you come up to buy and willing to pay the normal price but all over sudden it cost more because the gas or what ever the excuse they like to come up with.

Not a word on the price it costs to fly to Samui.

Bangkok Airways have been taking the p-ss for years because they own the airport

Saying that, their flights always seem to be full.

I paid 24,000 baht return from udonthani to samui. 16,000 to UK!! :bah:

Not a word on the price it costs to fly to Samui.

Bangkok Airways have been taking the p-ss for years because they own the airport

Saying that, their flights always seem to be full.

I paid 24,000 baht return from udonthani to samui. 16,000 to UK!! :bah:

4,800b Samui Bangkok each way,

and no one will drive the unused golf cart to take you

the 1 km to your car in departures parking lot,

a long, hot slog, usually with extra bags from shopping.

Flights to Phuket run around 2000b last I looked.

Bangkok air gouges everyone to pay for their award winning airport

with pathetic service ; except to the minivans to resorts.

A pretty, one trick pony, that you pay through the nose for.

Edited by animatic

I booked today Air Asia BKK to Phuket return thru a travel agent 3950 Baht....Thai Air 8500B return...(same departure/arrival time give or take 40 minutes).....Air Asia will knock Thai Air out of the air (eventually) I am prepared to wager on it...Air Asia new Airbus 380's...Thai Air still trying to negotiate a discount for their new planes..."so as not to affect their liquidity" (quoted via the BKK Post via Thai Air senior executive)...not that the quality/condition matters that much on a 1 hour 20 minute flight...but Thai Air's flight costs are so much higher than their oppositions (12Go...Nok Air, Bangkok A/L, Air Asia)...and have been for a very long time...that its about time Thai Air sacked their marketing/sales Dept heads...they must be feeling it......but come hel_l or high water the Govt will bail them out.....similar scenario as the the failure rate amongst Thai Uni/school teachers...just throw money at it MPR...!!!

I booked today Air Asia BKK to Phuket return thru a travel agent 3950 Baht....Thai Air 8500B return...(same departure/arrival time give or take 40 minutes).....Air Asia will knock Thai Air out of the air (eventually) I am prepared to wager on it...Air Asia new Airbus 380's...Thai Air still trying to negotiate a discount for their new planes..."so as not to affect their liquidity" (quoted via the BKK Post via Thai Air senior executive)...not that the quality/condition matters that much on a 1 hour 20 minute flight...but Thai Air's flight costs are so much higher than their oppositions (12Go...Nok Air, Bangkok A/L, Air Asia)...and have been for a very long time...that its about time Thai Air sacked their marketing/sales Dept heads...they must be feeling it......but come hel_l or high water the Govt will bail them out.....similar scenario as the the failure rate amongst Thai Uni/school teachers...just throw money at it MPR...!!!

When I flew 1 to go return from Phuket to Bangkok return for two people, the total charge on my credit card was $170 US. Late February departure early March return. Booked online. I don't remember the exact exchange rate then. Let's say 33 Baht to the dollar would be 5,610 Baht for two, all inclusive. Thai Airways is way overpriced,more than double, for the same little over an hour flight. Plus you fly into Don Muang with 1 to go. No crowds. Air Asia has a few cheap seats then they go up as they sell seats, actually they all do that... Air Asia's checked bag is 15 Kgs, 1 to go I think is 20 or 25 Kgs. The only time I fly Thai Airways, is when I have a connecting flight with China Airlines as my bags get checked all the way through and I get international baggage allowance.

Edited by Jimi007

I have to laugh. In 17 years of traveling in Asia. many, many years in Thailand I have never taken a domestic flight. The buses and trains are fast and cheap.

The notion I private company, especially ones that get nothing but grief from th e govt need subsidize Thailand's expensive hotel industry and package business has me OTGLMAO.

Much of the price of a plane s getting it off the ground. Others prices are fixed same for dom/intl. So about the only other variable is volume. Why don't they cry about insane airport taxes?

Take a bus!

Jimi, you fly China Air as well? Hope to west coast. Mine is to east and the flight is DIRE

do not know about domestic but international sure has gone up.

every year i can fly to Sydney return for 20K-22K now they want 33k plus taxes and funny enough it is in the low season and time when they really trying to get tourists back

Wasn't it about four months ago that Thai Airways announced a 46% increase for flights to and from Phuket and 64% increase form Phuket to Chang Mai? Great plan! Late February I flew from Phuket round trip to Bangkok on One to Go for the same pice as one way on Thai Airways. I wonder why business is down! Air Asia was about the same as One to Go in price, if you book early.

:oGreat if you like to take your chances with Indonesian pilots !

What's with all the complaining? Domestic airfares are still a bargain compared to other countries.

Let's have a comparison ok. I used Kayak and did a return trip of June 30/July 7. I picked cities of similar travel times/distances. For comparison sake, the fares are in $US, tax incl. , but it could have been chicken nuggets as the currency, as the intent is to demonstrate that the prices are not unreasonable when compared with other countries.

1. BKK- HKT 1hr 20 min flight Lots of tickets @ $99 on Air Asia, $134 BKK Airways & $245 TG

2. LGW - GCI Guernsey 40 min. flight $136. Flybe & $164 BA

3. YUL -YYZ, a popular route in Canada, 1 hr. with lots of competiton, but AC & WJ - $292, Porter - $372,

4. NYC- PHL Lots of choices on this busy US 1 hr route $369 on Continental or US Airways

5. SYD-MEL $105 with Jetstar vs $388 Qantas, $198 Virgin Blue

Know what? Thailand is still a bargain. TG prices the same way other legacy airlines price tickets. People are so poiled by the subsidized cheap airfare costs that when the prices start to reflect the actual cost of operations they don't get it.

If people cannot afford the airfares, maybe they should stay home and pay off their credit card debts instead.

Edited by geriatrickid

What? Thai pilots are better than Indonesian?

Thai air gets run like a government agency, rife with corruption and perks.

Executives get tea money, donations have to be made for job consideration, much like positions within ministries.

Thai air continues to run at a loss, year in and year out.

Yet, when in financial dire straights, the government bails it out.

Time to get some real business people in to run it, not someone who paid for their position with limited education.

What? Thai pilots are better than Indonesian?

As long as they not Al Qaeda pilotswhistling.gif