Cost Of Living In Thailand Per Month

Griizley

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really interesting to see how disparate people's spending habits are.

For me, about $200 a month for food works fine. I do pay rent at an upscale residence hotel, but monthly utilities are billed separately.

Water costs me $9, and electricity runs $50-$125, depending on how much A/C I use. Maid service with laundry is another $15-$20.

I have a mobile phone with unlimited 3G internet and all the calling I need to do for about $20 a month. 24/7 wired high speed internet in my room is $12.

Yesterday, I priced a slightly more modest place in Chiang Mai and found I could get a fan-cooled room with all utilities included for less than $200 a month.

I'm moving there when my current contract is finished. There's a 5-star hotel with a roof-top swimming pool a block away, and the monthly usage fee is $30. I can cool my jets there, and at air-conditioned malls. The University classrooms and offices are air-conditioned as well, so I figure I'll survive. Most of the Thais I know have no A/C at home, and seem to be okay.

You'll soon discover there's a huge difference between cost of living for native Thais and for outsiders.

The more integrated you become, the cheaper life is.

If you can't live comfortably as a student for less than $500, I'd be surprised.

Good luck.

I think you will do good with 500 dollars a month, i have only stay here for 20 something days but my main expenses have been a week in an hotel and the rent of an apartment, with 500 you can eat, have some fun and transport. BUT if you want to travel a lot outside the city and take tours and party every day you will need much more.

I lived in a small condo for a while. While not on a tight budget I lived fairly cheap. Only had one Falang meal in 4 months. I would figure 200b a day for food. Yes this might be high. But better to be safe than sorry. This 200b covered 2-3 meals and a fridge stocked with water, juices and fruit(I don't drink). My electric was 450-550b a month. Didn't run the AC as it gives me a cough. Paid the government 3.5b/unit rate. Water 30.5b a unit. Cost me around 300b a month. Cable TV and condo fees were 300b each. So under 1500b all in for the room. 6K or so for food and 3k for my motorbike +5k condo rent.

It really can be cheap. But look at it as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Have a little extra and plan conservatively. I wouldn't recommend less than $500 a month. And if this is your first time $700 is probably more realistic. You will spend more when you first get there and when learning the ropes. And you will meet lots of people. It would suck not to be able to afford to go out with them every once in a while. Just my 2c.

My electric bill has been around 12,000 for the last couple of months. At first I thought there must be something wrong but it all appears to be correct.

I do like my A/C and it's a pretty big apartment at around 180 Sq Meters / 1900 Sq feet so it takes some cooling !

I think you are being bent over and called Doris!! I have had two air con units on all day/all night for the last two months and my bill is 3k. This is due to my pug being unwell for the last few months and requiring a cool environment.

12,000 baht is obscene. I think the whole unit must be using your meter! You should check the wiring into your meter! I think there are a few people using your supply!

My electric bill has been around 12,000 for the last couple of months. At first I thought there must be something wrong but it all appears to be correct.

I do like my A/C and it's a pretty big apartment at around 180 Sq Meters / 1900 Sq feet so it takes some cooling !

I think you are being bent over and called Doris!! I have had two air con units on all day/all night for the last two months and my bill is 3k. This is due to my pug being unwell for the last few months and requiring a cool environment.

12,000 baht is obscene. I think the whole unit must be using your meter! You should check the wiring into your meter! I think there are a few people using your supply!

I have only 1 aircond running ONLY AT NIGHT and my monthly bill is never under 4K ... and the aircond is only 3 years old and cleaned every once in a while. I live in a house so I'm billed directly by the electricity company ..... also water is free as I don't go over the 100 units even thought i water my plants and my pump leaks.

for the OP:

3 pple at home

house rent 16000

electricity 4500 (average)

Phones 1300 (mobile, land lines and faxes)

internet 930 ( 4.5 megs + wifi )

F&B 8000 ( normal stall food or meals cooked at home + sodas and alcohol)

transports 2500 ( average taxis, motosais BTS and MRT)

extra activities 5000 ( average for movies, occasional tawandaeng etc...)

farang food 2000 ( restaurants or delivery)

this is just an average with nothing fancy and doesnt include clothing and medical

I have only 1 aircond running ONLY AT NIGHT and my monthly bill is never under 4K ... and the aircond is only 3 years old and cleaned every once in a while. I live in a house so I'm billed directly by the electricity company ..... also water is free as I don't go over the 100 units even thought i water my plants and my pump leaks.

190sqm with 4 very old A/C: 2 of them running about 50~67% of the time and 1 very (very) old fridge: ~6.5 KB of electricity bill. Got the A/C replaced (local brand) and bill got under 5 KB for the first month which included 1 week with the old A/Cs. Then true that I only use A/C in rooms, almost never for the largest area which is the living room.

My last months expenses...nothing unusual no emergency expenditure...all written up month by month by my thai wife

1 large single bedroom modern apartment (rented) Onnut 12000B per month

Power averages 1100B per month ( I have 1 aircon) and it operates most of the day

Water charges incurrred (above allowed useage) 300B per month

(Incidentally the power and water are direct accounts with the suppliers concerned)...insist on it to avoid gouging by your landlord.

Food (two of us regular 3 meals a day..mainly Thai food with the odd Farang meal thrown in...plus regular visitors for meals and overnights...friends/family) shopping at Carrefour... and fresh produce at the Onnut open market 6000 per month

Clothing (replacement items)...cold beers (moderate drinker)...internet (TOT 3GB service)....restaurant meals (twice per week).....Going to the movies (once per week) 7/11 incidentals.....12Call cellphone cards 4000/5000B per month

I dont have medical insurance...I dont own a car/motorcycle (no point with the excellent transport services available from the apartment complex)

24400B per month x 12 months = 292800B p.a. or 5631B per week (leave it to you to convert to your currency)

Hope this helps answer your question...

I have no trouble believing these figures..

In my case each of the variables as reported above are slightly different, yet the situation and expenses are pretty much equal at the end of the month

Just one comment on the above..IF you lived in a more suburban area in BK the appartment costs would be a lot less, HOWEVER the OP doesnt need to know about those issues as he has stated, the rental costs will have already been looked after.

Another thing, he will be living in Hua-hin area? in which the general cost of living might be a tad more expensive than Bangkok.

IMO I think the OP will be OK with the budget he stated. Im thinking the bigger issue for him to consider will be the exchange rate of his currency..

If you get a thai bank account you will certainly save some money on bank costs, and transfer fees.

As well,with benefit of a Thai bank account you have the freedom to transfer money from abroad anytime, when the exchange rate is up..

Just looking at the history of AU$ to Baht, you could have saved thousands in the last year simply by banking at the right time.

Considering a fluctuation of between 22 and 29 just in the last year or so, every AU$1000 transferred at 29 means a saving (or cost benefit) of baht 7,000..which in my case nearly pays the monthly rent

Someone stated you can live on us300 a month. Not and have any sort of life, and I'm pretty kee niew and been here a long time. Best I ever did was about US400 when the THB was around 42. Its down 25% from there.

Some also stated this (may be) is a once in a lifetime oppty - you want to take a trip, eat something special, do something crazy. You sure should not miss Angkor Wat next door, that would be a crime. Flying is now so cheap there is also North Lao and North Vietnam as well as Bali. All good for a noob.

We (wife and I) live on about 80,000 bt per month. Some months run well over 100k while others are as low as 65k.

Rent: 13,000

Power: 3,500

Food: 10,000

Restaurants: 5,000

Mobile Phones: 2,500

Water: 500

Car Payment: 9,000

Internet: 1,000

Home Phones: 500

Transportation: 10,000

Petrol: 2,000

Cigarettes: 5,000

Alcohol: 6,000

Entertainment: 5,000

Shopping: 3,000

Weekend Getaway: 6,000

Edited by way2muchcoffee

I dont eat Thai food, I cook "farang" meals every night at home, this costs me about 4000b a week.

<deleted> are you eating that cost 4000b a week

How about a big plate of rock lobster bathed in a couple kinds of cheese, wash it down with a few kgs. of crab, and 2-3 bottles of wine (dinner for 2)... and then rice + salt (substitute fish sauce if you're Thai) for the other 20 meals that week.

Alternatively you can also increase your food budget. Or lower it. It's all relative.

Seriously though, at the very least, just IMO, you should be able to walk into any supermarket, whether a low end hypermarket or 'higher' end specialty supermarket (ethnic markets, Foodland, Villa, etc.) and be able to buy whatever you like, as often as you like (it's not like you're going to be stretched eating AT HOME... at least I hope not). If you have to look at the prices or the receipt (other than to confirm correct total and change), you might not be earning 'enough.' We're not talking real estate, automobiles, dining out, going on 4-5 star holidays, this is just groceries. Should you really have to budget?

:)

Edited by Heng

My single days living at Omni in Soi 4 was 13,000 rent for studio.

Electricity was 2,200 on average (room was 47 sq m)

Water was fixed 200

Laundry was 100 Baht in tokens weekly

Cable TV was supplied

Meals were around 2,000 a week

Beers etc about 1,500 a week @70 Baht a Chang

Taxis were about 800 a week to Asoke and back daily due mainly to traffic, Bikes were cheaper and faster but no way safe!

The cheapest form of transport is a push bike at say 900-1700 baht at Tesco Lotus

The incidentals extra like clothes - you can buy T Shirts etc for 120 baht anywhere. Jocks sox et al about 200 baht

Living on Soi 4 got you a freebie or two a month when the bars closed and so it goes.

How you spend is entirely up to you and your life style.

Good luck but without rent I would think in Hua Hin you would need around USD500 to be comfortable but meagre.

Edited by asiawatcher

I think this is a pretty stupid idea of asking for costs of living.

There are people living worse than my dog and there are other people who earn a couple of hundred thousand Baht per months.

And for those earning that much, living costs are higher as they have a different life style and because they won't rent a 1,500 Baht condo.

Some buying house or condo, some buying a car every 2 years (plus one for the misses (and they completely forget to convert that into monthly costs)) etc.

Many people mention electric is 1,500 Baht per month. Well, I pay 15,000 Baht per month.

Does that say anything wether electric in TH is expensive or cheap?

There are so many factors, it's pretty much pointless to have this discussed here (although I just participated ...lol).

Really??? He told us he was on a student visa and on a limited budget. He came to the perfect place to get info and probably now has come up with a ball park figure. What is pointless? Hmmm, clueless posters bragging about their personal AC bills that have no relevance to his situation.

I can't offer any advice since I have a big truck, spacious house, and a never ending stream of ladies of the night. Actually, I live comfortably and it has been 10 years since I lived on a limited budget. Many other posters seem to have helped you with the numbers. The best of luck with your trip and ignore the ramblings of some of the posters.

Edited by siamamerican

$300/month even without having to pay rent is a very, very very small amount of money. If you pull it off, you might want to video record it and try to get on the Discovery Channel, something along the lines of "Survival: Thailand".

Good Luck.

My single days living at Omni in Soi 4 was 13,000 rent for studio.

Electricity was 2,200 on average (room was 47 sq m)

Water was fixed 200

Laundry was 100 Baht in tokens weekly

Cable TV was supplied

Meals were around 2,000 a week

Beers etc about 1,500 a week @70 Baht a Chang

Taxis were about 800 a week to Asoke and back daily due mainly to traffic, Bikes were cheaper and faster but no way safe!

The cheapest form of transport is a push bike at say 900-1700 baht at Tesco Lotus

The incidentals extra like clothes - you can buy T Shirts etc for 120 baht anywhere. Jocks sox et al about 200 baht

Living on Soi 4 got you a freebie or two a month when the bars closed and so it goes.

How you spend is entirely up to you and your life style.

Good luck but without rent I would think in Hua Hin you would need around USD500 to be comfortable but meagre.

There really are an endless number of choices when it comes to 120 baht t-shirts. It's a great way to express your creativity. Some of my favorites are I-Pood and of course, the staple Beer Chang tank top. The ladies love getting a good look at the guns when I am firmly squeezing the hand rail of a non-air conditioned bus. Btw, you would be very surprised at the amount of perfectly good food that gets left uneaten on abandoned lunch trays in a food court. The busiest and best time to go scavenging is around noon. And if you live in the Nana area, a great way to supplement your income is to rent out your studio apartment during the early evening as a short time hotel. Aw, the good life.

Edited by Chunky1

How on earth can you possibly spend that much, F1?

Sarcasm?

Can anyone give me a straight-up answer?

Are you single? have no family?

I have a wife child, car, fish, land, water pumps, no rent, no debt, you can get by pretty well on 1K a day.

That covers Electric at about 2K month, Broadband at about 800 month, Diesel about 800 a week, school fees, oh, and the main expense...Wonder Deng about a pack and a half per day plus 5 bottles of Chang/day, so, if you don't smoke or drink, you are laughing, well under 20K month

I may have missed it.....but no-one is budgeting for trips back to the old country to visit the relos. So, does that mean once your an Ex-pat everyone comes to you? :huh:

A lot of folks are stuck here and aren't 'vacationing' anywhere other than Penang, Poi Pet, Vientiane, etc., and tend not to want to announce these trips in their TV budgets.

:)

How on earth can you possibly spend that much, F1?

Sarcasm?

Can anyone give me a straight-up answer?

Are you single? have no family?

I have a wife child, car, fish, land, water pumps, no rent, no debt, you can get by pretty well on 1K a day.

That covers Electric at about 2K month, Broadband at about 800 month, Diesel about 800 a week, school fees, oh, and the main expense...Wonder Deng about a pack and a half per day plus 5 bottles of Chang/day, so, if you don't smoke or drink, you are laughing, well under 20K month

The best answer I've heard is: if you want to live like a Thai, around 6 to 7 thousand, a month, not including rent, although you could live on a lower amount quite easily, If you want to live like a Falang at least 30,000 a month, not including rent.

Although it's a bit like asking how long is a piece of string. I have friends Falang married not payiong rent who play golf 4 times a week and eat out all the time who spend 150,000 Baht a month in Pattaya.

I have spent a lot of time on this, i have worked out it costs just over half of what it costs in your home country, to live a similarly happy lifestyle. Somethings u will sacrifice but are made up in other areas.

If u live like a backpacker in west, it will cost u just under half here.

If u live like a millionaire in west it will cost u over half here.

If u live like an average westerner it will cost u half, but because u are saving so much u will spend a little more, therefore it will cost u just over half.

Edited by ezythai

Well, where do you eat? When you find some stalls you might get 3 good meals for $ 3 a day. Add 2 bottles of Coke, some internet deal (with your mobile phone if it's just e-mail you need, or frequent a 10 Baht an hour internet cafe) this might work out if you are very disciplined.

Rent or own a 125 cc motorcycle? Like to walk everywhere? Have you paid the first electricity bill with the aircon running most of the time? Good luck!

I think this is a pretty stupid idea of asking for costs of living.

There are people living worse than my dog and there are other people who earn a couple of hundred thousand Baht per months.

And for those earning that much, living costs are higher as they have a different life style and because they won't rent a 1,500 Baht condo.

Some buying house or condo, some buying a car every 2 years (plus one for the misses (and they completely forget to convert that into monthly costs)) etc.

Many people mention electric is 1,500 Baht per month. Well, I pay 15,000 Baht per month.

Does that say anything wether electric in TH is expensive or cheap?

There are so many factors, it's pretty much pointless to have this discussed here (although I just participated ...lol).

you just sound jealous that you cant get your spending under control.

Heavens above!! I used to run a 10-room hotel with 10 medium-size air-con units, which the hotel guests would usually leave on all day/night at the lowest temperature. Add in 10 fridges, TVs, 4 commercial kitchen fridges etc etc, and I paid about 11,000 baht per month.

I suspect that some posters are paying the electricity bill for their neighbours as well :)

Simon