Visa Agents In Vientiane

Heading to Vientiane tomorrow to get a double entry Thai tourist Visa. Been there many times to do this, but I guess I'm getting lazy. Was wondering if there's any agents that can do all the formalities for me ?

Hi

well in front of the Thai Embassy there are a few "visa agents" waiting for customers. Usually they are beside the street in a tent and they will

ask you.

For the service, they will charge you about THB 1000 toTHB 2000.

If you are coming late to the embassy, there will be a lot of people waiting for the visas. So the service is quite ok, because you don't have to

waste your time. Otherwise, if you do it by yourself, everythink would be free, as the visa is still free of charge.

You can pick up the passport the next day.

Cheers

Probably, but it's against the law. Your passport must be in your possession at all times while in Thailand and traveling between countries. To get the Visa they must put that sticker (Visa) in your passport in Vientiane. Which means you have to go to Vientiane and physically do the 'exit' and 'entry' thing.

Some foreigners have gotten in serious trouble by shipping their passports out of the country while they stayed in the country. At one time the Thai government was cracking down very hard on it with many foreigners sending their passports to Malaysia to get visa's.

Don't even consider it!

Just grin and bear it. TIT! :)

Hi

well in front of the Thai Embassy there are a few "visa agents" waiting for customers. Usually they are beside the street in a tent and they will

ask you.

For the service, they will charge you about THB 1000 toTHB 2000.

If you are coming late to the embassy, there will be a lot of people waiting for the visas. So the service is quite ok, because you don't have to

waste your time. Otherwise, if you do it by yourself, everythink would be free, as the visa is still free of charge.

You can pick up the passport the next day.

Cheers

Thanks. I know about the touts across the street (how can you miss them), but have never used them. Was thinking of a more established business perhaps with an office in Vientiane. Doesn't sound like there is such a place so will give the touts a try.

Probably, but it's against the law. Your passport must be in your possession at all times while in Thailand and traveling between countries. To get the Visa they must put that sticker (Visa) in your passport in Vientiane. Which means you have to go to Vientiane and physically do the 'exit' and 'entry' thing.

Some foreigners have gotten in serious trouble by shipping their passports out of the country while they stayed in the country. At one time the Thai government was cracking down very hard on it with many foreigners sending their passports to Malaysia to get visa's.

Don't even consider it!

Just grin and bear it. TIT! :)

Think you but you mis understood my post. " I'm heading to Vientiane" meant I will travel to Vientiane. That said your statement about it being illegal I have read on TVF this may not be correct. As I recall the foreigners working on the oil rigs in Thailand get their Visas renewed w/o ever leaving. There was some other examples as well.

Here is some information on whats required, Royal Thai embassy laos

its quite simple, two days ago I was 176 in the queue getting there at 9am and there were over 300 applicants that day. Doors open 8:30am, so get there around 8am if you don't want to wait, the application must be made in person and they were checking this when I was there, the agents outside the gates will help you fill the form out, get a number and stand in the queue until its your turn then you can go to the counter, they will also help with the photos and any copies you need.

I used one of the agents outside the gate last time and they will actually arrange everything for you. No need to go into the consulate. They will drop of your passport at your hotel the next day.

Think you but you mis understood my post. "I'm heading to Vientiane" meant I will travel to Vientiane. That said your statement about it being illegal I have read on TVF this may not be correct. As I recall the foreigners working on the oil rigs in Thailand  get their Visas renewed w/o ever leaving. There was some other examples as well.

I don't think so. I think you need to learn about the different types of Visas and the requirements. That's where an agency specializing in Visas can help you. Advice is usually free. Be very wary of anyone who advises you to part with your passport. Especially to have it 'mailed/shipped' to somewhere. It's definitely against the law!

You can also go to any Thai Immigration Office or Royal Thai Embassy/Consulate to get information to verify the claims made to you are correct, or to learn about the different types of Visas. Usually they are pretty helpful, but be polite show some respect. It goes a long way towards how helpful they are.

Thai Visas fall into two classes, Tourist and Non-Immigrant. As a rule, Tourist Visas can only be extended up to 30 days. Non-Immigrant visas can be extended indefinitely, but usually only for 1 year at a time. Every year, you must prove that you meet the requirements in order to get it extended for another year.

To get a 'Tourist' Visa you must leave and enter the country again. All Visas are issued outside of the country by a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate, not inside the country. Technically when you are at the airport and get a 'Visa on Arrival' you are outside of the country (you haven't entered Thailand yet).

Of course your Visa can be changed to a different type, transfered to a new Passport, or extended while you are inside the country at any Thai Immigration Office. While your Passport is being processed, is the only time that your Passport is not required to be in your possession. They usually give you a 'claim check', which you can show any Police Officer, to justify why your Passport is not in your possession.

Also if your Passport is Lost or Stolen, you must immediately go to the Royal Thai Police station and report it! The Police will give you a police report, which you also can use to justify why your Passport is not in your possession.

There are a few other special circumstances where you may not have your Passport in your possession. In each case you will get a receipt or document, which will justify why your Passport is not in your possession.

Note: Anytime you leave the country with out a re-entry permit, your current Visa is automatically terminated. You must re-apply for a new Visa outside of the country.

You need to read the TVF posts again. This time very carefully. Ignorance is not a defense when you are detained or arrested! A Thai jail is not a very pleasant place to stay!

To: fm2002

Just after I made my last post, I noticed two other post that were made while I was writing that post. I now realize that I may have misunderstood you. In your OP, I thought your were saying that you were too lazy to go through the formalities of going to Vientiane each time. Not the formalities of going through the formalities of going through the process at the Embassy while you where in Vientiane. The reason for this is as one of the other posters noted, is that all applications must be made in person according to the Embassy's requirements. Your response back to me was also misunderstood, as you were talking about cases where workers didn't need to leave Thailand to get Visas. I must apologize for the misunderstanding.

Yes, there are agents in Laos that will facilitate the formalities of going to the Embassy while you are in Vientiane. That isn't against the law. It's a common practice. I have a friend that does just that, usually for about 1,000 baht.

So many foreigners I know, hate the formalities of making the Visa run to Vientiane.They are seeking ways to circumvent that. The 13 hour trip to Vientiane by bus is the most grueling part! They would like to find a way to avoid making the trip altogether. I can't say as I blame them.

Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding in both of my posts. Please forgive me.