Annoying Questions And Others

Tyree D.

I tried SEARCH to see if this was already discussed, so if it has been, let's do it agian!

I have been here for over 12 months. Here are questions I am tired of:

"Where you come from?"---first off it is gramatically incorrect and I don't like thinking about my home or my mother's womb. sometimes this is the only question I am asked then they leave.

"You like Thai food?"---It's a must if I've been here so long.

"You have girlfriend?"---If I say no, it is followed with, "I don't believe you. You have many girlfriends you butterfly".

"How long you stay in Thailand/You on holiday?"---the truth does get the trappers away.

"You speak Thai very well."---now I know how Asians feel in America when they get complimented on their English. I have spoken Thai for 6 years.

constant toasting while drinking---do I have to make one every 15 seconds

the touchiness---we are not sports teamates, stop grabbing my ass!

going to a new bar---no I don't wanna buy you a drink then barfine you, no not you either; nor you.

any of you have any annoyances?

Yes actually I do......

I have only been member on tv a couple of days.

But I am already annoyed about the amount of negativ post's . :o

I thought this was a site for people who actually like thailand...

just my satang worth.........

Ken

Yea – I am tired of post complaining about people complaining about Thailand. :D:o:D

Other than that I am with you on the touchiness/closeness thing and the toasting every 15 seconds. I always thought the closeness thing would have made a great Seinfeld episode – like the “low talker” or the “puffy sleeve shirt” kind of thing.

Yes actually I do......

Ken

No Ken you are wrong. It is a platform to exchange ideas & knowledge, take the piss out of each other and generally to have a bit of fun while learning.

And as far as I'm concerned you can keep your satang.

I hate losers who complain about the intellectual level of beer bars, then seem to be velcroed to a barstool all day drinking beer, then being jaded by it all....most of these people should consider themselves lucky, someone actually comes up to them(although purely for commercial purposes!)....No one of the opposite sex would even acknowledge these sorry @ss wasters abroad..... :o

Edited by pluto_manibo

I too don't like all the negative posts but I hope you aren't saying this is one of them.

As for me, I love it here and I know what I have and I know I am a loser back home! But at the same time, I am tired of the repetitive questions and decided to make a thread about it on Thaivisa.

Ken, so you've been on this board for just two days but I don't know how long you've been in Thailand (if ever), but I'm sure you will get annoyed by the same questions and become jaded just like the rst of us :o

Back to the topic, I have now lived in Phayao for two months and now once again I am a stranger but for the first time I am annoyed and offended by the term "falang". For the first time some people treat me like an outsider and others feel obligated to come up to me smelling like whiskey saying, "Where you come from?". And when I go back to Chiang Rai on the weekends I hear:

"Phayao sanuk?"

"Are the ladies there beautiful?" ---nope, in Chiang Rai they are nicer and sexier

I'm tired of farangs on this forum speaking of Thailand as if it is some kind of paradise. I also despise when people say how dirt cheap life is here. it's all hogwash and misleading to the reader

Does this anger come from the jealousy of someone who does not (yet) live in Thailand . . . . ?

Or maybe you live in the south? :D

JxP :o

I'm tired of farangs on this forum speaking of Thailand as if it is some kind of paradise. I also despise when people say how dirt cheap life is here. it's all hogwash and misleading to the reader

Dunno about paradise, but, there are certainly a lot of people who prefer it than their home country.

It IS cheaper to live here than in the developed world.

You might as well complain about water being wet, or that the sky isn't the particular shade of blue that you would like it to be.

I hate losers who complain about the intellectual level of beer bars, then seem to be velcroed to a barstool all day drinking beer, then being jaded by it all....most of these people should consider themselves lucky, someone actually comes up to them(although purely for commercial purposes!)....No one of the opposite sex would even acknowledge these sorry @ss wasters abroad..... :o

I agree. If you are going to spend a year here with your butt glued to a barstool, then those are the kinds of questions you should expect to hear.

And when you go into a "new" bar, where the staff don't know you, of course they are going to think you are a prospective new customer.

Not all foreigners eat Thai food all the time. Some find it too hot, some prefer fare similar to where they came from.

I haven't noticed a lot of "touching" or "*ss-grabbing" in any of the bars I hang out in. On rare occasions, a girl I know may fool around a bit when she's in a good mood, but it's not common.

Rarely ever have to "toast", period. Maybe at a special dinner, in a small village, when visiting the g/f's family. In the bars ? Only when I ring the bell !

Most of those "questions" are simply ice-breakers (conversation starters). What can you expect when you are in a place where 95% (98/99 % ?) of the foreigners are short term visitors ?

Sheesh. I brought 1 new girl home to my apartment in the last year. My landlady, her sister and the rest of the "clan" in my building harrass me about being a butterfly (all with smiles on their faces, laughing of course).

I laugh (mai bpen rai) and tell them, I'm not a butterfly, I'm an AIRPORT ! A walking Don Muang ! :D

I tried SEARCH to see if this was already discussed, so if it has been, let's do it agian!

I have been here for over 12 months.  Here are questions I am tired of:

"Where you come from?"---first off it is gramatically incorrect and I don't like thinking about my home or my mother's womb.  sometimes this is the only question I am asked then they leave.

"You like Thai food?"---It's a must if I've been here so long.

"You have girlfriend?"---If I say no, it is followed with, "I don't believe you.  You have many girlfriends you butterfly".

"How long you stay in Thailand/You on holiday?"---the truth does get the trappers away.

"You speak Thai very well."---now I know how Asians feel in America when they get complimented on their English.  I have spoken Thai for 6 years.

constant toasting while drinking---do I have to make one every 15 seconds

the touchiness---we are not sports teamates, stop grabbing my ass!

going to a new bar---no I don't wanna buy you a drink then barfine you, no not you either; nor you.

any of you have any annoyances?

I think you have a negative view to your local population.....

People are just trying to be friendly and you look on them with suspiscion...

This may be a surprise for you but...

Not everyone knows you live there and that you are not a tourist nor do they know your gastronomical preferences.

That people with a limited knowledge of a foreign language may sometimes be a little grammatical deficient.

That telling you, you speak good Thai is a compliment...not a pick up line.

This may not be the place to tell people that you prefer your team mates grabbing your butt rather than a nice Thai girl.... :D

I dont see it as any different to a farang girl approaching a guy in a bar with the following....

Hello, what is your name

What line of work are you in

Are you currently seeing someone

Are you from around here

And Cheers after you buy them a drink

:o

when I was talking about ass grabbing, I wasn't talking about bars, my boss at the school I teach does it. A male teacher touched my thingie. I am not somebody whose come to conclusions about Thai people from only bar experiences. When I was interviewed at a university by an all female team, the very first questions were, "Do you have a girlfriend?" and "How will you deal with flirtatious students and teachers?"

As for gburns, how long have you been in Thailand? All of this stuff was flattering at first but now I am tired of the attention but I still don't miss Los Angeles.

Do you like spicy, handsome man?

p.s. I am not somebody who has generalized a whole nation based bar experiences and now has joined the list of jaded posters. I have spoken Thai for six years and can read and write at a first grade level. I don't drink anymore and that right there eliminates me from hanging out with a lot of Thai people. No more bars for me.

Edited by Tyree D.

In the north the water is just tooooo wet, and the sky is just not a very nice shade of blue. And my wife scowled at me today. And I don't care if you hate these really negative posts.....I'm baring my soul here......I'm sooooo misunderstood,,,,

well maybe it's just me. Back in college I was tired of, "What's your major" and I made it a goal to never ask that question. On internet chat I skip the "what's up" and go right to whatever I wanna talk about. I walk up to someone I don't know and immediately start a conversation instead of asking for their name I won't remember. They be like, "who are you?"

I wanted people to vent on this thread but instead I get accused of being negative and I am assumed to be someone who has only been in bars. And I had no problems with all the questions and flirtatiousness one year ago but now it is a scratched record playing over and over again. For those of you considering me negative and jaded, just wait until you have been here as long as me. You all are either not here or haven't been here long enough. Or you wish you could be here as long as me and percieve me to be an ungateful bastard :D:o

Ego trip alert----> I have been here over one year and you can only dream about it!!!!

Edited by Tyree D.

"quote" As for gburns, how long have you been in Thailand? All of this stuff was flattering at first but now I am tired of the attention but I still don't miss Los Angeles.

Do you like spicy, handsome man?

well maybe it's just me. Back in college I was tired of, "What's your major" and I made it a goal to never ask that question. On internet chat I skip the "what's up" and go right to whatever I wanna talk about. I walk up to someone I don't know and immediately start a conversation instead of asking for their name I won't remember. They be like, "who are you?"

I wanted people to vent on this thread but instead I get accused of being negative and I am assumed to be someone who has only been in bars. And I had no problems with all the questions and flirtatiousness one year ago but now it is a scratched record playing over and over again. For those of you considering me negative and jaded, just wait until you have been here as long as me. You all are either not here or haven't been here long enough. Or you wish you could be here as long as me and percieve me to be an ungateful bastard "Unquote"

Well Tyree.....I dont live there....but I have been there many many times and in total have spent more than 12 months of my life in Thailand and have done a lot more than just sit on bar stools...I have been married to Thai girl and currently am in a relationship with another Thai girl...so that should settle the question of my preferences... :o

Also you infer that people are jealous because you have been there for 12 months ... many people here have lived there a lot longer than you have.

From your posts, it seems that you have the idea it is all about you....skipping intros to talk about what you want to talk about...you come across as someone who has limited social skills and a lot of self importance....Part of social discourse is to introduce yourself and take an interest in others points of view whether or not you agree or share a common interest.

Could I suggest, tongue in cheek of course, that you go to a social doctor and get a shot of tolerence...you may enjoy your life in Thailand a lot better.

I get sometimes fed-up with these TAT people that ask you to fill-out a survey.

It seems to be going on for well over a year now and it makes me wonder how many responses they require before they call it a day.

I've filled out about six surveys but now I just tell them to fvk off in polite terms.

In the north the water is just tooooo wet, and the sky is just not a very nice shade of blue.  And my wife scowled at me today.  And I don't care if you hate these really negative posts.....I'm baring my soul here......I'm sooooo misunderstood,,,,

:o

Open yourself to the release!!!!

:D

Yes actually I do......

Ken

you being a newbie its only natural that you think that the sun shines out of every Thai

arsshole! but its no use just posting smarmy positive posts about how happy a bunny you are ,because in reality life just aint like that.

It matters not one jot how long you have been in Thailand but how you spend your time there. I know blokes who have been there for years and stagger me with their ignorance. On the other hand I have met 'newbies' who have acquired a deep knowledge and respect for Thailand in a short amount of time. The whole 'I've been here for x amount of years so know more than you' is a nonsense in the great game of expat oneupmanship.

To me the OP sounds like he is getting a bit jaded if hes getting p1ssed off with bar room small talk. Personally I quite enjoy it because I'm a real nosey blighter and like finding out about people.

My advice would be to find new more intelectually stimulating, places to go drinking.

The OP has been here only 1 year and he thinks that is a long time? Tyree, some of these guys on here greatly outrank you as far as time in-country. 1 year is not very long.

Aside from that, I will agree with one thing you mentioned. I too do not like toasting with my drink so much. Sometimes, at one sitting, it will be done 4-5 times and I think its ridiculous and never understood the redundancy but it's not the worst thing in the world. At least it's a positive action instead of a negative one.

I know one year is not that long. My tirade was toward the people who are not here or haven't been here as long. The people that have been here longer and have posted on this thread are more hardcore with their attitudes. I have met lots of jealous tourists backpackers and tourists that wish they could stay here.

and once again, I don't go to bars anymore. I have been here for one year but if I have been speaking Thai for six years I must have been here other times. If I can now read at a first grade level I must not be dumb.

lol@gburns :o do you think I have never had a Thai girlfriend? as for skipping intros...it's a waste of time. The Rock says it doesn't matter what your name is!

One thing I do love is how people try to put me down (on the internet and when I went back home previous times)with quotes like:

"You might have had a lot of partners but you've had to pay for it"

"You probably have diseases"

"Is your girlfriend a man?"

"I hope you get malaria or bird flu"

"are you screwing children?"

I know almost all of you have heard these insults from jealous people that wish they were doing what they wanted with their lives.

Tyree D,

A few facts to back up your claim that the cost of living in Thailand isn't cheap?

I like the prices here. Only gas has gone up. I was amazed how everything in 7-11 costs what it did 6 years ago. In L.A. everything has gone up dollars. I have no plans on leaving Thailand.

All in all I am having fun with this thread. I just made a post of questions I am tired of and now I'm assumed to be a bitter jaded guy who thinks he knows more than he does! I thought I wouldn't be the only person tired of being asked about his hometown and if if has a girlfriend and be accused of being a butterfly. It's been a few months since I've been asked how much money I make and how many women I have been with (I only admit to two!). Now those are some personal questions that are impolite anywhere.

Edited by Tyree D.

I too don't like all the negative posts but I hope you aren't saying this is one of them. 

As for me, I love it here and I know what I have and I know I am a loser back home!  But at the same time, I am tired of the repetitive questions and decided to make a thread about it on Thaivisa.

Ken, so you've been on this board for just two days but I don't know how long you've been in Thailand (if ever), but I'm sure you will get annoyed by the same questions and become jaded just like the rst of us  :o

Back to the topic, I have now lived in Phayao for two months and now once again I am a stranger but for the first time I am annoyed and offended by the term "falang".  For the first time some people treat me like an outsider and others feel obligated to come up to me smelling like whiskey saying, "Where you come from?".  And when I go back to Chiang Rai on the weekends I hear:

"Phayao sanuk?"

"Are the ladies there beautiful?" ---nope, in Chiang Rai they are nicer and sexier

First of all I did not say or try to imply that this was a negativ post.

Just that negativ post generally annoy me.

And Tyree, I have been in thailand for 2 years, so I can understand that you are annoyed with the term farang, but why do you take offense from it???

I am pretty sure it is no meant as any insult what so ever...