Annoying Questions And Others

Tyree D.

For someone who does not drink and go to bars, then these two should'nt really bother you.

constant toasting while drinking---do I have to make one every 15 seconds

going to a new bar---no I don't wanna buy you a drink then barfine you, no not you either; nor you.

It's been a few months since I've been asked how much money I make and how many women I have been with (I only admit to two!). Now those are some personal questions that are impolite anywhere.

The "how much money do you make" is actually not impolite here. I've never been asked "how many women I have been with" (well only by the wife :o )

Prof fart was right when he said that some people have been here years but their understanding of the place is no more valid than someone thats been here only a short period of time and vice versa.

Saying that I think people definatly go through stages, the first is its great, a paradise, love the place, after a while they get a bit more "jaded" but either come to trems with the fact that its not a paradise and there are faluts with the country (same as every other country) and learn to live and exept it or they end up hating it here and going home.

The sort of questions you are being asked now you will always get asked when you meet someone new, its how people interact with each other here.

I'm tired of farangs on this forum speaking of Thailand as if it is some kind of paradise. I also despise when people say how dirt cheap life is here. it's all hogwash and misleading to the reader

In what sence do you mean "life is cheap" The cost of living is definatly cheaper than most "western" countries and if you look at it the other way the actual "cost" of a life then its definatly cheap. As for being a paradise, well if you living and working in BKK its probably just like any other big city, but if you are retired, mabye living near the beach with a good monthly income then mabye

I tried SEARCH to see if this was already discussed, so if it has been, let's do it agian!

I have been here for over 12 months.  Here are questions I am tired of:

"Where you come from?"---first off it is gramatically incorrect and I don't like thinking about my home or my mother's womb.  sometimes this is the only question I am asked then they leave.

"You like Thai food?"---It's a must if I've been here so long.

"You have girlfriend?"---If I say no, it is followed with, "I don't believe you.  You have many girlfriends you butterfly".

"How long you stay in Thailand/You on holiday?"---the truth does get the trappers away.

"You speak Thai very well."---now I know how Asians feel in America when they get complimented on their English.  I have spoken Thai for 6 years.

constant toasting while drinking---do I have to make one every 15 seconds

the touchiness---we are not sports teamates, stop grabbing my ass!

going to a new bar---no I don't wanna buy you a drink then barfine you, no not you either; nor you.

any of you have any annoyances?

Think about what you'd ask a tourist coming to your country and ONLY frequenting Kings Cross, Soho and South Tottenham

I havent read all the posts. But i know wher you're going with this. You are an newbie. And you are pissed off/ bored with the same subjects/questions? Same. I have been around just over ayear. Spare a thought for the older members. The scouser must be well ######ing bored replying to the same visa questions.

It matters not one jot how long you have been in Thailand but how you spend your time there. I know blokes who have been there for years and stagger me with their ignorance. On the other hand I have met 'newbies' who have acquired a deep knowledge and respect for Thailand in a short amount of time. The whole 'I've been here for x amount of years so know more than you' is a nonsense in the great game of expat oneupmanship.

To me the OP sounds like he is getting a bit jaded if hes getting p1ssed off with bar room small talk. Personally I quite enjoy it because I'm a real nosey blighter and like finding out about people.

My advice would be to find new more intelectually stimulating, places to go drinking.

I have to agree with the fart here, people can be somewhat limited in thier second language and will only ask questions that they are taught or know, if you frequent those places you have to accept it..... also, i have seen many people that spent many years in, or going to thailand and are still somewhat niave.......

Think about what you'd ask a tourist coming to your country and ONLY frequenting Kings Cross, Soho and South Tottenham

Does the tourist speak Chinese, Hindi or Bangladeshi? Doubt s/he'd understand the local otherwise :o

I don't mind the personal questions - usually they are easy to get around, and the asker is often not really concerned with the answer, just want to be friendly.

"Do you have a GF?" : "No, my wife doesn't like me to have GFs".

"How much money do you earn?" : "I don't know, my wife spends it all"

"How many woman have you sleept with?" (never been asked this) : "Not enough"

"Do you sleep with Men/Lady-Boys" : "Who can sleep when with a Lady-Boy?"

"Do you have sex with children?" (this would make me angry, but never been asked it) : "No, do you? Are you after a contact?"

No, the its the Tuk-Tuk/Taxi drivers that shout out from their vehicle as you saunter up Sukumvit in search of a SomTam stall, "You looking for girl?" or some similar (sometimes explicit) vocalisation. I hate that, its embarrising and annoying. Also don't like being tooted every two minutes by taxis and tuk-tuks just because I want to walk in the sunshine the three hundred yards to my destination. "If I want you, I will flag you down!".

i hate to say this but will anyway... this is not just in thailand;

i've been living in a foreign (to me) country for 22 years and i still get asked: do u like it here? why did u come here when america is the land paved with gold ? etc etc....

asking questions is the way people can show friendliness... would u rather they walk past u with out saying anything... a sign of rudeness in social cultures (difference between small town and big city america i guess)

i work with thai workers for three years, the same guys... every week i get asked the same questions, i give differing answers according to mood... if i spoke thai better, i would probably get asked different questions with deeper intent....