CRES Suspects Attacks If Emergency Lifted In Thailand

webfact

AFTERMATH

CRES suspects attacks if emergency lifted

By THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The government's Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) said yesterday it believed the red-shirt movement would carry out operations to disrupt public order whenever the state of emergency was lifted.

Meanwhile, a home-made bomb similar to the type used in Tuesday's attack on the Bhum Jai Thai Party headquarters was yesterday found abandoned in northern Bangkok, with police theorising it was assembled for a planned attack.

CRES spokesman Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd said red-shirt leaders regularly met with "the movement's political wing" to discuss their plans to "deliver violence with armed methods" both in Bangkok and nearby areas and in the North and the Northeast.

"In certain areas, they intend to target security officers once the state of emergency is lifted," he added.

To arrest red-shirt leaders on the run, including Arisman Pongruengrong and Suthep Attakorn, seven teams of police commandos have been set up to track them down.

So far, arrests have been made with 200 warrants out of a total 886 - leaving 686 fugitives for police to pursue.

In addition to an extra 153 road checkpoints set up by all 86 Bangkok-based police stations, there are 17 security outposts at key entrances and exits to Bangkok, the CRES said.

Military policemen and local police provide constant patrol at locations considered risky to attacks in Bangkok while there are three rapid-deployment companies of soldiers on 24-hour standby.

Sansern dismissed media speculation the government was behind the Bhum Jai Thai HQ bomb attack to extend the state of emergency, saying: "Even without the attack, the CRES needs to extend the state of emergency given intelligence reports indicating ongoing activities to deliver violence and disruption."

Another 136 checkpoints are being set up jointly by local police and soldiers between 10pm and 5am to ensure extra security. Around government offices such as Government House and Parliament, security has also been provided at private properties prone to attacks, such as Central Department Store outlets, Channel 3 and TPBS television stations.

CRES told the Election Commission yesterday election campaigns can be conducted under the state of emergency as long as they are free of provocation.

CRES will decide in a meeting today where to maintain or lift the state of emergency.

The state of emergency is expected to be continued in Udon Thani, Mukdahan, Khon Khaen, Chiang Mai, Ubon Ratchthani, Bangkok and an adjacent province.

On the bomb found in Bangkok, Metropolitan Police Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Santhan Chayanont said he thought the attackers had discarded the bomb possibly in fear of being tracked down by police. It had been improvised from a 15kg cooking-gas cylinder, fully connected to a battery and a detonator.

A police ordnance check is expected soon to identify in detail the type of bomb used in the Bhum Jai Thai attack.

In Udon Thani, another home-made bomb was found set up in a telephone booth near an Army barracks. It had failed to go off after the failure of its crude detonation device -- a lit cigarette meant to burn five sticks linked to a rope tied to the explosives. All were contained in four 18cm long plastic water pipes.

Local police have not decided if the bomb was for a politically motivated attack. However bomb fears have prompted heightened security at government buildings and political landmarks throughout the country, and are likely to influence the government to extend the state of emergency beyond July 7.

In the search for the suspected mastermind of the Bhum Jai Thai bomb attack, police said they expect to obtain a court-approved arrest warrant for Kamphol Khamkhong, allegedly implicated by suspected attacker Anek Singkhunthod.

Chief Investigator Pol Colonel Songphol Wattanachai cited an intelligence report as saying Kamphol took part in the red-shirt protests last month but it was not likely he masterminded the plot alone.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-25

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means.  :annoyed:

hmmmm. I am sure that there must be some documented evidence about Thaksins funding for you to make that statement.

I strongly suspect the following are contributing to the ongoing situation ( which IMHO hasn't even "ramped up " yet.)

1. The training and instruction and from the Muslim separatists in the South

2. The encouragement and logistical support from the Western NGO's in the outlying areas

3. The funding from the Cambodians and Abu Sayeef

Of course I have no hard evidence of any of the above but why not say it anyway? Lack of any hard evidence doesn't seem to stop people from making other wild statements about the funding or operations of the UDD. ;)

the red-shirt movement would carry out operations to disrupt public order

i must agree with the CRES on this . especially as long as some of the nastiest reds r on the lam . personally, i don't even notice the emergency and no malls have been burned down in a month. it's working flawlessly !

Edited by jackdawson

I personally would like to see a lot more proof of the accusations that are flying around from the government, I believe that there is still a great deal of pent up frustration and anger, and that violence by some is aways possible, but what we hear from the press and from the government is opinions and accusations, but they do not move forward with present facts.

What proof do they have?

Are they planning on keeping the emergency decree going on indefinately because if they suspect violence when the remove it then it is logical to assume that they will never remove it.

I'm not saying I agree with the Red Shirt's tactics or the use of violence, that is not the correct approach to move forward. However, the government does owe the citizens of Thailand proof that these incidents are happening, that people are planning these events, so that we can see the transparency in their decisions. Decisions made behind closed doors without input or transparency are what cause distrust in any organization, especially governments.

C

i must agree with the CRES on this . especially as long as some of the nastiest reds r on the lam . personally, i don't even notice the emergency and no malls have been burned down in a month. it's working flawlessly !

:lol:

Absolutely, CRES has the responsibility to provide security for the people of Thailand and the emergency decree is doing an excellent job at that. The emergency decree is not a problem for anyone except those who wants to break the law or create other problems

Please leave it until the end of the year or longer even

Absolutely, CRES has the responsibility to provide security for the people of Thailand and the emergency decree is doing an excellent job at that. The emergency decree is not a problem for anyone except those who wants to break the law or create other problems

may i say ur thinking is flawless

personally i vote for the "longer even" part

As it was pointed out, the State of Emergency does not affect me, since I am not a Red Terrorist. No shopping malls burned down for a whole month. I think I like it this way.

I can understand why a Red Terrorist hates the SOE. It is a lot riskier to make trouble and the consequences are higher. So Red Terrorists hate the SOE, and normal, peaceful citizens like it. My hope is that they satisfy the majority, who are peaceful people. Personally I believe that anybody who is against the SOE is planning on doing something they should not.

I don't understand why the Police and Military do not always have the power to come down hard on people trying to ruin the country. It would seem natural to give them the tools they need to do their job. You cannot fight Terrorists when you are unarmed and one hand tied behind your back.

When I hear Reds complaining about how the Government has used force against them it is music to my ears, music that should have been heard from day 1 of the so called "Peaceful Demonstrations".

I personally would like to see a lot more proof of the accusations that are flying around from the government, I believe that there is still a great deal of pent up frustration and anger, and that violence by some is aways possible, but what we hear from the press and from the government is opinions and accusations, but they do not move forward with present facts.

What proof do they have?

Are they planning on keeping the emergency decree going on indefinately because if they suspect violence when the remove it then it is logical to assume that they will never remove it.

I'm not saying I agree with the Red Shirt's tactics or the use of violence, that is not the correct approach to move forward. However, the government does owe the citizens of Thailand proof that these incidents are happening, that people are planning these events, so that we can see the transparency in their decisions. Decisions made behind closed doors without input or transparency are what cause distrust in any organization, especially governments.

C

Nobody ever publishes their Intelligence reports. Get serious.

Just because the Red Terrorists are no longer grouped in Bangkok does not mean they will not make trouble later, and you know that. As long as there are Red Terrorists they will make trouble, so the SOE is required for a quick reaction to happen.

The government's Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) said yesterday it believed the red-shirt movement would carry out operations to disrupt public order whenever the state of emergency was lifted.

Gosh, does this mean you want to keep the State of Emergency in place?! :o However don't expect me to actually believe your charade either :lol:

Totally, the right of public assembly should be classified as criminal, even terrorist, when it impinges on the freedom of movement of other citizens, whether airports, ASEAN conferences, Government House, or financial districts.

However glorifying in CRES is glorifying in hopelessness, believing there are no Solutions.

It was not CRES that stopped the attempted desruction of the BJT leaders, it was a rainstorm. If that fruit seller had not moved the cart around the corner, and Newin had caught the metal intended for him, you can imagine what the news of the World would have, can't you?

[Afghaniatan, Iraq, Northen Ireland, South Thailand] SoE has a remarkable track record, right?

SoE, of course! for the next several years, of course. As long as Thaksin AND Sondhi are fighting it out.

Are people 'color' blind? hint red/yellow...

It's THAT simple folks, it's a tribal war between Thaksin's red clan and Sondhi's yellow clan.

Take them both to their knees where they both belong and Thailand would begin to have a chance, and yes there IS way to do it, but, shucks wouldn't that just spoil the fun.

They BETTER start auditing sales of nitrate fertilizer!

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means.  :annoyed:

Highly unlikely on both counts, but the Government is making a good effort to effect normalcy.

The reds unfortunately only dream of returning to Bangkok for more mayhem.

Totally, the right of public assembly should be classified as criminal, even terrorist, when it impinges on the freedom of movement of other citizens, whether airports, ASEAN conferences, Government House, or financial districts.

However glorifying in CRES is glorifying in hopelessness, believing there are no Solutions.

It was not CRES that stopped the attempted desruction of the BJT leaders, it was a rainstorm. If that fruit seller had not moved the cart around the corner, and Newin had caught the metal intended for him, you can imagine what the news of the World would have, can't you?

[Afghaniatan, Iraq, Northen Ireland, South Thailand] SoE has a remarkable track record, right?

SoE, of course! for the next several years, of course. As long as Thaksin AND Sondhi are fighting it out.

Are people 'color' blind? hint red/yellow...

It's THAT simple folks, it's a tribal war between Thaksin's red clan and Sondhi's yellow clan.

Take them both to their knees where they both belong and Thailand would begin to have a chance, and yes there IS way to do it, but, shucks wouldn't that just spoil the fun.

They BETTER start auditing sales of nitrate fertilizer!

SOE should be permanently in place in the whole of Thailand.

And if possible, the whole of ASEAN too.

So the Chinese can sleep better at night, and sleep a lot better.

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means.   :annoyed:

Highly unlikely on both counts, but the Government is making a good effort to effect normalcy.

You may very well be right, but without considerable funding they would never be able to attract many warm bodies to sacrifice. 

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means.   :annoyed:

You may very well be right, but without considerable funding they would never be able to attract many warm bodies to sacrifice. 

As Thaksin said when launching the drug wars, if you have are not a criminal, you have nothing to fear. In this statement, Thaksin appealed to the most vindictive, fearful and primitive instincts of the populace. And he was successful. People ratted out neighbors, set up enemies- it was perfect. And now we have a bunch of foreigners, themselves more vulnerable than they know, employing the same logic- and unable to permit principle to override political prejudice.

History didn't forgive the war on drugs... or those who so willingly acquiesed to it...

I strongly suspect that if funding from Thaksin was somehow stopped completely, the redshirts would switch to peaceful means. :annoyed:

As Thaksin said when launching the drug wars, if you have are not a criminal, you have nothing to fear. In this statement, Thaksin appealed to the most vindictive, fearful and primitive instincts of the populace. And he was successful. People ratted out neighbors, set up enemies- it was perfect. And now we have a bunch of foreigners, themselves more vulnerable than they know, employing the same logic- and unable to permit principle to override political prejudice.

History didn't forgive the war on drugs... or those who so willingly acquiesed to it...

If you are not with the RED, you have nothing to fear about the SOE.

Totally agree. The only thing I see about the emergency decree is the streets are safe again. I personally like to be able to drive from one point to another point and not be worried about some red terrorist road block stopping me and harrassing me, not knowing if I will be the next one killed. And if you do not agree with that, they you obviously were not in Thailand and never drove around Thailand, especially Bangkok.Yes, they had music playing and their charades dancing, but take a look at the thugs that was controlling the traffic. They reds brought this image on to themselves. They are responsible for their own actions and if they looked like and acted like thugs and terrorist, then that's the repuation they deserve.

The problem is not with the majority of the red followers. It is with hateful, dishonest leaders who are using them for their own agenda and will never help them do anything but throw them a few scraps and very possibly suffer and die for some disgraced megalomaniac.

Be interesting to see how high up the ladder the attempted red bombing of the BJT HQ goes. It has already gone further than most political bombings in Thailand with the reds definitely tied into it. I await the PTP as a law abiding opopsition party who dont beleive in violence or double standards to critise the bombing and call for the full wieght of the law to be used against the bombers.

Wont happen of course

"Those who trade freedom for security will have neither" - some crazed red-white-and-blue shirt nutball during the American revolution aqainst the British monarchy

Yes, isn't it nice to have the freedom back now that the streets are safe again.

"Those who trade freedom for security will have neither" - some crazed red-white-and-blue shirt nutball during the American revolution aqainst the British monarchy

Yes, isn't it nice to have the freedom back now that the streets are safe again.

He actuaslly said"

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. "

Of course this quite logical statement was written at a time of

greatly different war weapons, transportation and communications,

and increased ability for individuals or small groups to cause mass destruction.

He also said:

"Necessity never made a good bargain. "

"Our necessities never equal our wants. "

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.

You have to catch it yourself."

"Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools,

that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Freedom through limited security can also leave you;

Free to live in fear indefinitely. An unpalitable option.

A balance needs to be struck, and that balance needs to be flexible

depending on likelihoods of increased risk at various times.

If there was never risks to personal security, there would be no need for

policing, army, or even governments. But we know that is not the case.

Edited by animatic

How many people who write de-humanizing hateful screeds containing the adjective red actually eat every meal sitting on a mat on the floor?

Hmmmm......

Are you saying that the term Red Terrorist is dehumanizing and hateful? It pretty much describes the violent element that duped the good farmers from the north to become their shield.

From what we heard many of those Red Terrorist leaders ate at McDonalds, using a table and chair. Does this mean you question what they say and analyse their words carefully? Maybe you should.

If there was never risks to personal security, there would be no need for

policing, army, or even governments. But we know that is not the case.

Oh no, haven't you heard? It takes a village! It's not just about personal safety. Governments are NEEDED - and the bigger the better - so that we can have something to blame depend on for our daily bread, roofs over our heads, clothes on our backs, and, of course, national "free" medical care"! (Policing and armies are just needed for those silly, unindoctrinated uneducated people & populations who reject the new world order and still subscribe to those antiquated values of responsibility for one's actions, individual freedom, and self-reliance.) Under Mao's Uncle Ho's Papa Joe's Our Beloved Leader's Der Fuhrer's Slick Willy's Mr. T's enlightened guidance, we can hope that the Reds will succeed in beating this into the brains of bringing this understanding to the people of Thailand despite the roadblocks & checkpoints.

Edited by hawker

Lol you gotta be kidding: if that were really classified as terrorist then Abhisit is the head of a terrorist government