How To Learn Thai?

salz

salz

I think that is better if you learn to speak first, it is actually very easy. After you can speak start to learn read, and then write. I think learning to read and write before being able to speak Thai is much more difficult.

Edited by boxig

I am not one to talk because I am kind of stuck at pre-beginners level, but it is widely believed that if you are serious about ever being fluent, learning the reading and writing system is essential because you need to really understand the tones and also because Thai is pronounced almost exactly as it is written, unlike more ambiguous languages such as English.

I am not one to talk because I am kind of stuck at pre-beginners level, but it is widely believed that if you are serious about ever being fluent, learning the reading and writing system is essential because you need to really understand the tones and also because Thai is pronounced almost exactly as it is written, unlike more ambiguous languages such as English.

That and watch Thai channels on television. It's helping me...

I think you have to learn some speech first - basic vocab and sentances. Just tourist level stuff. Once you've got a hang of basic things like asking for things, asking the way to places etc, then i firmly believe you need to learn to read.

There are as many Thai Transliteration systems out there as there are books on learning Thai. None of them are worth more than a 'get you started'; none of them can really describe the phonems used in Thai, because we don't have them in English. Accent also makes a big difference to Transliteration. Imagine the book starts - Sala-oo (no Thai KB, sorry - looks like a small lowercase 'Q' with the tail bending right back on its self sitting underneath a consonent) "OO" as in "Book". Try saying "book" with London accent, now with an Irish accent, now with a Scotish, Welsh, Bromie, Scouse etc - the "oo" is soooo different!

There are some simple rules to Thai reading (and fewer exceptions to these rules than in English). Learn the consonents and their classes, learn the vowel soundings and in time the tone marks etc. This will teach you how to pronounce, its much easier learning to speak with the right tones from the outset, than having to relearn how to speak when you learn to read later (and find out you are pronouncing everything wrong).

I would leave writing to later, its actually much harder than reading - as your vocab improves, you will read words (in Thai) and guess what it means from the letters and your volcab. Trying to remember how it is spellt to reproduce it in a written passage is much more difficult.

well salz..

what i feel is that thai, is not a v difficult language to learn.. there are not much alphabets, but some low and high level consonants. and pronounciation of thai words are exactly the same as how it is written..

IMO, it all depends on yr interest and peserverance..

well salz..

what i feel is that thai, is not a v difficult language to learn.. there are not much alphabets, but some low and high level consonants. and pronounciation of thai words are exactly the same as how it is written..

IMO, it all depends on yr interest and peserverance..

We've had this discussion before in the forum.

It is true that without interest and perseverance, you will never get anywhere. Still - what is difficult or not depends on a number of other factors, such as your general ability to pick up and learn new languages. Then, you also have to bear in mind that the more differences there are between your mother tongue and the language you are trying to acquire, the more difficult it is.

For example, if your mother tongue is a Chinese dialect, you have plenty of advantages when you try to learn Thai as opposed to a speaker of a European language, because of structural similarities between these languages and Thai - you have already mastered at least one tonal system (possibly two if you speak Mandarin as well), you are used to particles and word order being the most important corner stones for grammar and modality, and you are familiar with many of the sounds in the Thai language. When it comes to writing, it is unfair to compare the Thai alphabet to the Chinese or Japanese writing system - these contain many, many more characters because they are completely different in structure from alphabetical systems.

In the same way, a speaker of German has many advantages as opposed to an Arab when learning English, and it is generally easier for a Swede or Norwegian to learn any of the languages of India than it is for a speaker of Maori, Japanese or Vietnamese. Of course, this does not stop some talented or highly motivated Arabs from learning perfect English, or some gifted Japanese people learning an Indian language - some people are simply more gifted than others from the start, and have a higher degree of motivation.

Not discrediting other peoples' experience, I personally think it makes good sense to spend money and time on a professional teacher when learning the basics of Thai. It is much easier to lose motivation when you are trying to figure these things out by yourself without somebody who can explain the systems in a coherent way, correct your pronunciation from the start, before you get stuck in bad pronunciation habits (more likely when you do not have a formal teacher) - and somebody who can answer all your questions and guide you out of pitfalls as they happen, or even before they have occurred.

A 'long-haired dictionary' is a great help in many ways, but unless quite highly educated and with a fairly good command of English, she will struggle to explain Thai language concepts to you so you really understand them.

We do not learn our mother tongues consciously, so it is very difficult for us to clearly explain the rules of our mother tongue to somebody else. We instinctively know what sounds right and wrong in our mother tongue, but WHY is a totally different matter...

When you have reached the level where you can read and correctly pronounce Thai text on your own (although slowly, because it takes years before being able to read Thai quickly), you can proceed from there at your own pace, with gradually more difficult texts.

BUT - it also depends what you intend to do with your Thai. You can learn to get by in everyday life with no formal learning, and just repeating what you hear..

I'm interested in learning Thai, but it's just so difficult....

The Thai alphabet is so difficult... Not to say how to read, speak and write

What is your native tongue, where are you from salz? As Meadish says it can make all the difference. I'm from the Uk and learned Japanese many years ago. I'm now learning Thai and i find the speaking quite easy but I have just started to learn to read and write with a Teacher and i find this is difficult. Gor-Gy, Kor-Ky, Kor-Khuat, Kor-Kwai etc. (sorry no TKB). But like anything, it's the time you put in that counts. I find having the teacher and her giving me homework pushes me on and motivates me. I didn't do my homework one week and she is lethal, she chewed my head off for 20 minutes, i do it every week now :o

Mr BoJ

I think that is better if you learn to speak first, it is actually very easy.

Sorry, but many people don't agree... Many books about Thailand say it's very difficult to learn to speak accurately with the correct tonal system. The Western languages all use tones for expression. Thai language doesn't. That's a MAJOR hurdle to overcome.

I agree I need a teacher... and not the bedroom type - a professional one. In another post I asked if anyone knew of a good Conversational Thai class... I got no response there.... Can anyone help here..?

Thanks

ChrisP.

That and watch Thai channels on television. It's helping me...

how about films .. especially if youve watched them more than once or you can get the english subtitles and the thai dialect !!!

yeah The only way to learn thai is to speak it to the girls!!!!!! Or men whatever you prefer... I learned to read and write it rather early. It is very easy once you sit down and do it. It only takes about 10 minutes a day. I used this kindergarten book and traced the alpha bet over and over again while saying the sound. I leanred in about a month...And once you know the aphabet i think it comes a lot easier.

The one in the alphabet that i'm really struggling on is, Ngor-ngoo (snake). I just can't get my tongue round that one and my teacher is getting really frustrated with me cos i can't get it. :o I seem to be ok with everything else except these "ng" sounds. How did you other people get it? My teacher is vicious, she's got a real temper and hits me with her stick when i get it wrong :D You might think i'm joking....but i'm not :D

Mr BoJ

I think (as what others have said) its important to study some basic and important words. Then you should get a private tutor to help you practice and correct your pronunciation or you can practice with your Thai friends.

If you want to learn writing, it is best if you get a teacher who can explain to you how the Thai writing system (rules) works. Then you can practice by yourself. (Thats how it works for me)

The level of your interest in Thai language will make it easier for you to learn the language quickly. I've tried different styles of learning Thai-- i.e, group lessons (language schools and uni) and private lessons and self-study, but still can't speak/write Thai fluently. I guess its because I know (probably) enough Thai for daily conversation and not eager to learn more. But I know I would have to learn more Thai-business level once I start working in a Thai company.

Anyhow, if you'd like to go to a language school I recommend ProLanguage in Times Square Bldg. in Sukhumvit-Asok, or if you're interested in studying privately I can recommend you a teacher just PM me.

The one in the alphabet that i'm really struggling on is, Ngor-ngoo (snake). I just can't get my tongue round that one and my teacher is getting really frustrated with me cos i can't get it.  :o I seem to be ok with everything else except these "ng" sounds. How did you other people get it? My teacher is vicious, she's got a real temper and hits me with her stick when i get it wrong :D  You might think i'm joking....but i'm not  :D

Mr BoJ

This has been discussed before, and yielded some answers you might find helpful. Have a look at this thread about 'ngaw nguu'.

The one in the alphabet that i'm really struggling on is, Ngor-ngoo (snake). I just can't get my tongue round that one and my teacher is getting really frustrated with me cos i can't get it.  :o I seem to be ok with everything else except these "ng" sounds. How did you other people get it? My teacher is vicious, she's got a real temper and hits me with her stick when i get it wrong :D  You might think i'm joking....but i'm not  :D

Mr BoJ

This has been discussed before, and yielded some answers you might find helpful. Have a look at this thread about 'ngaw nguu'.

Thanks Meadish, that thread helped. Although i'll find out next week :D If she doesn't beat me again i'll know it worked :D:D

Mr BoJ

I've been trying to learn Thai for years and have still made next to zero progress. I started when I was living elsewhere and used to come here a couple of times a year to dive and tour around. I bought a book and some tapes and listened and practiced all the time.

I spent time with lots of Internet sites and got to know Manee and her dog and the snake and crab very well. I did my best to learn to read and, at one point, did fairly well with the Thai alphabet. (I still have trouble with anything past "ya ying", though.)

Then I bought the Rosetta Stone CD and progressed to the point where I could do really well on both the reading and oral comprehension tests.

And, when I visited Thailand I was pleased by the fact that I could do OK buying stuff and ordering food and the like in the tourist areas I visited.

Then I moved to Thailand and discovered that I didn't know jack. Essentially 100% of my attempts at making Thai utterances have failed. My pronunciation is so bad that even the simple things I try to say ("bpai mai" for example) are met with the blank stare and shrugged shoulders that say so much.

And, I don't understand much of anything that anyone says.

What I figure is that I learned the little Thai that I know the same way the Thai's seem to learn English: as an academic subject, not as a method of communication. I mastered the Rosetta Stone CD but it did nothing to help me speak or understand Thai. Sure, in my mind I can construct a grammatically correct complex sentence like "The clown with red hair is putting on a blue shirt." But if I try to speak such a sentence (and who would ever have the need?) no Thai person will have the slightest idea what I'm trying to say.

What I've also discovered is that I can neither hear nor reproduce the tones and other phonetic elements that are so crucial to understanding and producing utterances in Thai.

I look back on the hundreds and hundreds of hours that I spent (wasted?) in my study of Thai and feel what I can only describe as great despair.

I've moved here and I love my life here, but accepting the fact that I will never learn Thai is very hard for me.

The greatest blow came a week or so ago when my girlfriend and I were in a store. I found yet another Thai language learning aid and held it up hoping for her approval to purchase. She just gave me a smirk and said, "Forget it." Confirmation for sure that she finally agrees with my conclusion that I just don't have what it takes to learn to speak and understand Thai.

Oh, well. Onward and upward. Time to move on to things that I can do instead of dwelling on the things I can't.

:o

Looking forward to hearing about your progress and any new questions, Mr BoJ!

:D

Cheers Meadish, progress is slow but worth it i think. Mastering the alphabet is my number one priority at the moment.

Buadhai, don't give up buddy. IMHO I just think youv'e been using a method that doesn't suit you. Years ago when i was learning the Saxophone I 'taught' (word used lightly) myself. After 2 years i was making little progress so i went to a private tutor. It took months and months to get rid of all the bad habits i had 'taught' myself. :D In the UK, I now go to a Buddhist (Thai) temple once a week for lessons. I've got CD's etc and find them no good (for me) I learn better with dead lines i.e. homework, that if i don't do i get a rollocking off the teacher. Easier to do the homework. Also the interaction and the teacher correcting pronunciation before youv'e developed saying it the wrong way, permanently. I'm back in LOS in a few weeks and have got my wife to line me up a tutor for 1 hour a day, so that i keep it up. Otherwise i'd just lay by the pool thinking "yeah, i'll do it tomorrow" :o Why don't you try a tutor? Theyr'e "cheap as chips" for a lesson in LOS.

Mr BoJ

I think it all depend's on how perfect you want to speak it, if you want perfection and are worrying about the diferance of snake or rat then you've a long painful road ahead of you, for me I don't worry about it, the Thai's know if Im talking about snake's or rat's by the drift of the conversation, how many Thai's pronounce house properly ? but we know what they mean !

I think it all depend's on how perfect you want to speak it,  if you want perfection and are worrying about the diferance of snake or rat then you've a long painful road ahead of you,  for me I don't worry about it, the Thai's know if Im talking about snake's or rat's by the drift of the conversation,  how many Thai's pronounce house properly ?  but we know what they mean !

Unfortunately, the converse is not true at all. Thai's seem completely unable to use context and analytical reasoning when attempting to discern the meaning of utterances made by farang. Let me give an example:

A few months ago my brother-in-law was about to get in the car to go somewhere. I asked him, "bpai nai", a common Thai utterance. However, even though the intent of my question should have been clear from the context, he looked at me as if I were ET asking the area code for Andromeda.

When I related the incident to my girlfriend she affirmed that my pronunciation was so bad that no Thai would understand it.

I then asked her if I were a foreigner and she a native English speaker and I said something like, "Go you veah?", would she understand? "Of course," she replied, "but you should have said, 'Where are you going?'" I have repeated this same experiment many times. My conclusion is that Thai's who speak English are perfectly capable of using context and analytical reasoning to understand poorly formed and poorly pronounced English, but are completely unable or unwilling to use the same sort of reasoning to understand the kind of mangled Thai that I produce.

In other words, I completely dispute your assertion that Thai's will understand what our poorly pronounced Thai means, "by the drift of the conversation". For whatever reason, they either can't or won't do that.

If you want more anecdotal examples, I have a passel.

You're right. Thai is difficult. If you work hard at it every day and get regular lessons you should be able to speak reasonably in about 3 years possibly 2. That's the truth of it.

Find a teacher who uses a consistent Romanised phonetic spelling of Thai words. Start with learning how to speak. Build up a vocabulary. There's really no point in learning to read or write initially. If you get to the point where you've exhausted the books and lessons using phonetic Thai you could move on to the Thai writing and reading system.

It takes about 6 months of practise every day at least to read and write Thai properly. It is very complicated in comparison to the Romanised letters. Start by learning the consonants in their different classes, middle, high and low. Then learn the vowels, long and short, and how they go with each class of consonants.

Benjawan Beckers book "Thai for beginners" is the best introductory book. Best of luck.

I have been studying Thai on and off for about 18 months.

For me, pronounciation of thai words became easier when I learned how to read and write the Thai alphabet.

The way I learned the Thai alphabet was by taking one character and writing it over and over on a sheet of paper. Like writing กกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกกก....................

You get my point?

I also would take a copy of the Thai alphabet with me when I went running and say it over and over again as I ran.

I would also look at how a word in English would look spelled in Thai

for instance SATURDAY แสเทอเด

When doing my visa runs I would always take my Thai study book with me. The long bus and train rides can a little more bearable if your auctually learning something.