How To Learn Thai?

salz

I've been trying to learn Thai for years and have still made next to zero progress. I started when I was living elsewhere and used to come here a couple of times a year to dive and tour around. I bought a book and some tapes and listened and practiced all the time.

I spent time with lots of Internet sites and got to know Manee and her dog and the snake and crab very well. I did my best to learn to read and, at one point, did fairly well with the Thai alphabet. (I still have trouble with anything past "ya ying", though.)

Then I bought the Rosetta Stone CD and progressed to the point where I could do really well on both the reading and oral comprehension tests. ....

I've also tried to learn Thai with the Rosetta Stone CD, 5 other Thai learning tapes and CD's, as well as a Thai teacher. The problem is the Thai language has stayed 'foreign' to me. And yes, there is that "not motivated for long" and "shy" mix.

Three weeks ago (as a member of BNOW), I received a heads-up on a workshop called "Cracking Thai Fundamentals" and I will have to say it's working for me. No, I'm not speaking fluent Thai yet, but then again I've only had three classes out of the four I've signed up with (to test the waters).

What it has done is gotten me comfortable with Thai, and filled me in on a whole lot of the culture (Stu is amazingly knowledgeable). It's also put me in a position where I can get into accelerated learning of the language, instead of standing still like I was previously.

In the following four weeks we'll get to vocab and oddly enough I'm looking forward to seeing how he'll approach this part of the learning process. (Not a usual reaction from me as I've defeated every language teacher I've ever had in the past).

Stu has a different approach to teaching a language that works for me. Forget sitting in your seats parroting out of a book, Stu has you UP and actually 'feeling' the language. It's difficult to describe really, so if you are interested please give it a shot.

A bit about Stu - he's fluent in over 13 modern languages (his actual list is even longer). Since he's had such an avid drive from a very young age, along the way he's figured out how we learn languages and is passing the knowledge on.

The majority of those in my particular class have already taken Thai lessons of one sort or another. Some living here for 10+ years. All with Thai wives or girlfriends except for me as I don't swing that way. What we all have in common is nothing has clicked as far as learning the language goes. In the short time I've been in his class, I'm confident this approach has a good chance of getting through my western skull more than anything else I've come across.

Stu can be contacted at stujay at hotmail.com. He teaches over at Sukumwit 1 but I'll let him fill you in on the details if or when you contact him.

• 3 weeks later...
The one in the alphabet that i'm really struggling on is, Ngor-ngoo (snake). I just can't get my tongue round that one and my teacher is getting really frustrated with me cos i can't get it.

Mr BoJ

The back of the tongue should block the nasal passage, a little further back than with 'G'. The start of the sound will come out through the nose.

Say 'Noo' normally and then say it again with your tongue in this position, you should find you can say it.

Practice and it will come easily.