Favorite / Best Music Video

Totster

Whats your favorite Music (promo) Video then..?

...here's mine ( in no particular order )

Death in Vegas feat. Liam Gallagher - Scorpion Rising (just loved the whole Samurai thing)

Coldplay - Back to the Start (excellent vid... brilliant concept)

The Foo Fighters - Learn to Fly

and going retro

Duran Duran - Girls on film (what can i say) :D

Ultravox - Love's great adventure (very cheesy, but enjoyable)

David Bowie - China Girl ( I actually like a lot of DB videos )

I'm sure I've missed some..

totster :o

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Freedom by George Michael (and friends) :o

Not sure what to make of that "licking lips" smiley Thomas...! :D

totster :D

...and what would the Toster do, given the opportunity, with those friends?

As Madonna said to Mick Jagger, "Sticky lips, sticky fingers - who cares?"

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Linda Evangelista

Cindy Crawford (naked)

Naomi Campbell

Tatjana Patitz

Christy Turlington

And Thomas.. given the opportunity I would probably not be able to do anything... I would be a drooling mess.. :D

totster :o

Edited by Totster

Although he ain't the most popular guy around nowadays, it is hard to go past Michael Jackson . His music vidoes set the standard and ushered in the mtv generation. Thriller was ok, I always liked " The way u make me feel " and the one were he turns into a panther and dances/trashes the rednecks car ? hmmm it was a long time ago .

Apart from that... " give it away " Chilli Peppers

Aphex Twins, dont know the names, but one of them is the one with the freaky faced kids running around the estates.

I was gonna mention that A HA "Take on me" as well, always stands out since I watched it as a kid.

New Gorrilaz tune got a great video as well coz I'm a fan of Hewletts art.

Smashing Pumpkins "Tonight"

Chemical Brothers I think "Supertsar DJ" where they are all on E and its the skeletons dancing?

Marvin Gaye "Whats going on?" - not sure about this though as don't know if it was the original version I have seen. Is it the video which shows all the political unrest in America?

I've a great memory for videos but terrible with names so some of these may be wrong, sorry bout that. :o

I have some great memories of music videos. I remember a David Bowie(Ashes to Ashes) one that played non-stop in a a bar with a brand new video duke-box. Coincedentally this song was played non-stop in a bar on the normal duke box when I started drinking at the age of 15 in 1980.

Must have been around this time, maybe a few years later that I used to spend every Saturday afternoon in a bar watching the video kukebox. Ones I remember well are Eurymics(who came from the same town as me, well Annie did) "Sweet dreams". Later on again, Robert Palmer(addicted to love), wow that was a powerful song that changed music videos.

So has to be

Ashes to ashes(in which Bowies mother made a cameo appearance at the end)

Sweet Dreams

Addicted to love.

I have some great memories of music videos. I remember a David Bowie(Ashes to Ashes) one that played non-stop in a a bar with a brand new video duke-box.

Brilliant track and video , Mr Robert Fripp sprayed his lead guitar all over that track and Scary Monsters ( Supercreeps )

:o

Edited by chonabot

the peter gabriel song (cant remember the name) where he is lying on the ground and he sort of morphs into something else , its done with time lapse.

all his videos were impressive.

frank zappa , "city of tiny lites" , using plasticine and time lapse. its rarely shown but its spellbinding.

of todays videos , the song "idiot walk" , cant remember the name of the band , where the singer walks spiderman like up a wall decorated like a scrabble board.

BESTEST VIDEOS THAT I CAN THINK OF

The Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love

Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Robbie Williams - She's The One

The Beautiful South - Can't remember

Madness - Wings Of A Dove

Fatboy Slim - Can't remember

Chemical Brothers - That one with the skeletons in and the other one with that girl

WORST VIDEOS

Anything by U2, just like most of their SHIT and over rated songs.

Although 'Numb' from the Zooropa album was both a good song and video but it was sung by The Edge who is a <deleted> same as Bono.

I'm not, I'm a good songwriter see, and I don't take myself too seriously and neither would my videos were I ever to 'make it' which I won't 'cause I quit too easy and can't focus to save my life.

Not a lot of technical video footage, but a fun video that I liked:

Walk This Way - Run DMC and Aerosmith

For great visual effects at the time:

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

And for sheer musical magic:

Money For Nothing - Dire Straits

Videos and favorite music are not necessarily the same for me. That being said, favorite videos:

Michael Jackson: Billy Jean and Thriller - pretty much started the video era.

A-ha: Take on me - unforgettable.

Madonna: Her short blond haircut days. Say what you will, but her videos back then were hot.

David Bowie: I will watch and listen to anything he does.

The Clash: anything

The Sugarcubes: early Bjork

Jay-Z: 99 problems but a bitch ain't one - ok, the lyrics are hardcore, but the video is fcking art. It was also made in my cousins' housing project.

*Edit: Oh yeah, cannot forget:

Chili Peppers: Give it away, and, Under the Bridge

Henry Rollins: Liar

Beck: his current video

have to stop now, too addictive

**edit: I said I would stop, but I can't because I forgot one of the best:

The Beastie Boys: Sabotage - and just about everything else

Edited by kat

Anything by U2, just like most of their SHIT and over rated songs.

I'm not, I'm a good songwriter see, and I don't take myself too seriously and neither would my videos were I ever to 'make it' which I won't 'cause I quit too easy and can't focus to save my life.

Couple points Scamp, writing IS your forte and second, I'd put U2's "Pride" or "Walk away-I will follow" right up there, then again, I'd agree almost anything after WAR, was mostly pop crap. Maybe get U2 "Live at Red Rocks" if you missed the early stuff?? Btw, surprised you left Morrisey off your list??

Anyways, here's a few that come to mind:

Fat Boy Slim-Weapon of choice (Christopher Walkin rockin to pure genius)Link is here

Doors- LA Woman (ok, a collage rather than a video but classic gutteral JM rock)

Queen- Bohemian Rhapsody (1975, did it start the 'modern' trend?

Kate Bush- running up the hill (the amazing rainmaking thingy with Donald Sutherland)

ACDC- Thunderstruck (pure energy build- if they did a vid for TNT, I'd choose that instead. OI!!

Cure- Close to me (the coffin filling with water, brilliant!)

BandAid- Do they know it's christmas? (still gets me)

The Verve- Bittersweet symphony (perfect)

Soundgarden- black hole sun (makes it's point, great visuals)

Coldplay- Clocks (never been a big piano guy but Chris Martin pounds those keys)

Carlos Santana with Michele Branch- game of love (great vid, great vibe!)

Rod Stewart- do ya think i'm sexy (excellent old school fun)

Only rap video I ever liked- Will smith, parents just don't understand.

Basically, Imho, rap is dumbing down music/cultures and music videos, period. :o

:D

Btw, surprised you left Morrisey off your list??

I think Morrissey is wonderful but can't think of a video that sticks out, though I would have to nominate the live footage of 'Sister I'm A Poet' which doesn't really count as it's live footage.

November spawned a monster is alright I suppose.

Fat Boy Slim-Weapon of choice

That's the one I couldn't remember. :o

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp