Passport Expired, Need To Do 90-Day Report

Mu passport expired June 16th. I ordered a new one, and it was sent to the Danish consul in Phuket a few days before the old one expired. The problem is he is currently travelling in Europe, So I havent been able to receive my new passport yet.

I have to do 90-day report on 26th of june. I believe there is a 7-day window, so I can do it the 3rd of July at the latest. However, the earliest possible I can get my new passport is the 6th of july.

Is it gonna be a problem for me, doing 90-day report with an expired passport?

Suspect you have more than a 90 day problem. What is your permitted to stay until date? It can not be past your passport validity so you are also overstay. I would not do anything until you have a valid passport as you appear to be completely illegal currently and could be deported to the only place you can travel (home country) if checked and Embassy not able to provide a new passport.

I know exactly when my passport runs out, and I know how long it is gonna take me

to get a new one, a bit of planning would have eased the pain that will be inflicted

on your wallet.

Why did you not think about a new passport a lot earlier?

Did you honestly think you could get a new passport so quickly?

The minimum you will be fined for missing a 90 day report, anything else could be

more costly to yourself, maybe including a flight to your home country or outside

of Thailand to get a new Visa.

My permitted to stay is untill beginning January 2011.

The passport arrived before the old one expired, and I was told by the consul that even if I didnt get the new one in time, that wouldn't be a problem. Apparently that was wrong?

Unfortunately I wasn't informed that I wouldn't be able to receive my new passport for some time, due to his travel plans.

@beano

Agree, that I messed up. A trip to Bangkok was planned for some time, but the riots in the embassy area made me suspend it.

So if I end up going to immigration after I get my new passport, I guess they don't know that for a number of days I did not have a valid passport? In which case I will "only" be fined for missing the 90 day report? How much is that fine?

Will it do me any good if I get a statement from the consul, that due to his travelling I am unable to obtain my passport, untill he return (3 days after the 90-day report window closes)?

Edit: Or a statement from the embassy, that they have forwarded the new passport, even though I havent been able to receive it yet?

Edited by Beck1976

the 7 day window is based on you have a valid passport, you dont. so no window. at the moment you are not allowed to stay in the kingdom. If you run into  the "wrong" persons, you will be deported at your own cost. You might also be banned from entering the kingdom for x years. good luck

Edited by Tywais
Edited to remove bad formatting data

No, it's only him running the show.

Well, there is a valid passport waiting for me, one that was valid BEFORE the old one expired.

So shouldnt I be able to transfer the visa+extension to my new passport, and then pay fine for missing a 90-day report? Or am I fuc_ked?

If I go to immigration, is there a risc that they contact the police regarding this matter?

There should not be any extension of stay in your current passport valid beyond the date of that passport. Has your passport been prematurity canceled or did it expire in June? If the passport itself was valid until January 2011 and only canceled due to new passport issue it probably would not be noticed so do the 90 day report and hope for the best when you make the transfer.

No extension of stay can be for longer than the passport validity so either that extension was in error, your passport was valid on that date, or something is totally amiss. The stamp in passport would be to expiration date and when you obtained the new passport the remainder of a one year extension would then be placed in it. So perhaps there are multi errors but I suspect both late 90 day reporting and overstay and a new visa may be required. As a rule you should plan to obtain new passport at least 7 or 8 months early as during the last six months of validity it is not accepted for travel by many countries.

My passports natural expiration was June 16th.

The extension stamp clearly say "stay permitted up to 3 Jan 2011".

The original plan was to go back to Denmark (alone) before it expired. Due to problems in my wifes family, that trip was postponed, so instead I wanted to get it done in Bangkok, when applying for a visa for her and the kid. Due to the riots, we wouldn't leave for Bangkok, so ended up ordering the passport with the consulate. Normally I'm very much on top of these things, but different circumstances and having my mind elsewhere, I now only have myself to blame, I know that.

On my first talk with the consul, he sais it wouldn't be a problem transferring the visa. I have just recived another email from him, stating that doing the 90-day report a couple days late normally isnt a problem. I told him that I'm gonna be more than 9 days late (2 days outside the window), but there is a chance he misunderstood me.

Either way he says, that if I have problems with immigration, I should refer them to him.

I'm still not sure whether I might run into problems doing the 90-day report? What if they discover it's an expired passport? I know they don't care (dont take action) if they know about people have overstay, but this might be more serious.

If the worst that can happen is they send me off again, I can try do the 90-day report, and then later, perhaps with the assistance of the consul, try to transfer the visa+extension. Either way, I'm gonna make sure the embassy can verify that I am the holder of a valid passport (though not in my possession), if problems should arise.

The worst case on the 90 day report would be a 2,000 baht fine. Once you have your new passport expect there will not be a problem with the stamp transfer (although not sure how they missed expiration date with that extension of stay stamp).

Beck it may require a trip to Bangkok but have you thought of contacting you embassy to obtain some type of letter detailing your problem and fact new passport has not been delivered but does exist. I know embassies issue letters when people loose passports so they can travel back to home country.

Always remember to renew passport before it drops below 6 month validity remaining.

@lopburi

In your first post you advised me to not do anything until I had my new passport. Do you still stand by that, or should I attempt to get my 90 day report approved and then later transfer the visa?

Or do you mean, that once I have my new passport, going to immigration will likely only result in a 2000 baht fine, and then the visa +extension can be transferred no problem?

@ballbreaker

I will contact my embassy first thing monday, no matter what. The person handling the passports there, is aware that I have obtained a new passport, as he was the one who told me it had been forwarded to Phuket. So no matter what happens the embassy should be able to verify that I am the owner of a valid passport. I will be leaving for Denmark on the 10th of August, so just trying to figure out how to make this matter the least expensive possible. So in worst case, I can do some visa run until then, and then get a new visa in Denmark.

If I only end up having to pay 2000 baht fine for the 90 day report, I'm very happy.

Well <deleted> happens.I don't mean to patronize, but I am sure that after this experience you realize that your passport is the most important document while living abroad, especially with wife and kids.

Being a long term visa holder you are already aware of the1 week before or 1 week after grace period for reporting. 1 day over that 1 week grace is considered late regardless of ones personal circumstances. The 2000 baht for late reporting is the rule. It happened to a friend of mine last year who was a month late. Immigration finally called him and told him to to come down ASAP. He payed the 2000 baht fine, and listened to the IO who stressed the importance of reporting on time.

You are illegal in the eyes of Thai law at the moment because you do not have a valid passport in your possession, so don't rock the boat. Hopefully you can get it sorted on Monday. Chok dee.

I suspect that there could be a problem going without a valid passport so would hold off until you have myself; even if it does cost 2,000 baht late fee. As it appears your passport was actually stamped with a permitted to stay beyond its expiration date do not believe there will be an issue with transfer if both are available. But without you really could be considered on overstay. In any case expect there will be some head scratching.