Looking To Learn How To Ride A Bike In Hua-Hin

sam666

I have a full EU car license in the UK, but not a bike license and I never bothered learning / getting one, however I'm here for a long time and I do have 2 bikes (standard small bikes, gears but auto). I've came to realise unless I learn how to ride one, i'm gonna be screwed because i'm 5km away from town / beach and once my friends go home I can't afford tuktuks everywhere. Is there anywhere I can learn how to ride one? Like any Farang places? I could drive a car here with np as it's same side of road but i've never driven a bike really and they scar me a little' lol.

Just get on one and practice on your own. That's how I learned. I'm a safe driver, I don't drive too fast, I always wear my helmet, I avoid really busy streets during rush hours. If you're careful, you should be fine.

ETA: I understand where the poster is coming from. I can't afford taxis/tuk tuks all the time, so I have a bike.

Edited by blyish

Over the years there have been countless accidents involving foreigners and bikes (both pedal and motor type)around Hua Hin and throughout Thailand. Many have proved fatal. It really is a dangerous past time.Do you really need to learn?

I realise that, driving seems to be mental around here but yes, i'm on a tight budget and my dad already has a bike, I pretty much can't go anywhere with out a tuktuk or taxi for 150bht each way, it's killing me. I should have learned before I left the UK but I ran out of time and it's quite pricey. Edited by sam666

Over the years there have been countless accidents involving foreigners and bikes (both pedal and motor type)around Hua Hin and throughout Thailand. Many have proved fatal. It really is a dangerous past time.Do you really need to learn?

I realise that, driving seems to be mental around here but yes, i'm on a tight budget and my dad already has a bike, I pretty much can't go anywhere with out a tuktuk or taxi for 150bht each way, it's killing me. I should have learned before I left the UK but I ran out of time and it's quite pricey.

Well Menber, I have been riding motorcycles for many years. Back home you may have schools to teach you how. Here in Thailand I don"t think so. The only way you can learn to ride a scooter is to do a little at a time. Just do it. I have been a rider for about 40 years. I have never had an accident. I have had some close calls. With that in mined. The only reason I did not have a crash is: because I looked at riding a bike, in only one way. That way is that all drivers were out to kill me! Most driver don"t see you or if they do, it just dose not register in there brain. I know this because, as a car driver I have almost run down motorcycle riders. Good luck and just do it.

I realise that, driving seems to be mental around here but yes, i'm on a tight budget and my dad already has a bike, I pretty much can't go anywhere with out a tuktuk or taxi for 150bht each way, it's killing me. I should have learned before I left the UK but I ran out of time and it's quite pricey.

Well Menber, I have been riding motorcycles for many years. Back home you may have schools to teach you how. Here in Thailand I don"t think so. The only way you can learn to ride a scooter is to do a little at a time. Just do it. I have been a rider for about 40 years. I have never had an accident. I have had some close calls. With that in mined. The only reason I did not have a crash is: because I looked at riding a bike, in only one way. That way is that all drivers were out to kill me! Most driver don"t see you or if they do, it just dose not register in there brain. I know this because, as a car driver I have almost run down motorcycle riders. Good luck and just do it.

So stop being a pussy and just teach my self? I saw the big difference between the UK and here, Thais dont seem to have road rules, I guess you just expect the unexpected. I've seen some close calls on a back of a tuktuk and it's been like, "holy shiiit that was close" and they just don't seem to care here. Edited by sam666

When riding just remember this.Think that every person, bicycle,car,motorbike,truck bus out there is trying to hurt you.If ya always keep this in mind maybe you'll make it.

I've put this in practice everywhere i've ridden.I've never had A motorcycle accident,started in 1967.Good Luck

After you've been riding a while, you will start noticing that there is a system to the madness and it generally makes pretty good sense.  It only looks mad from the sidewalk.  

Why doesn't your dad teach you?  Asking him seems like the perfect start.  

If you have some common sense you will be fine.  Take it slow.  Parking lot -> small road -> bigger road -> road with traffic, etc... You will slowly improve your riding skills.  Even if you're not a good rider you'll be fine if you ride slow and stay out of cars' way.  

Have been riding 40 years or so all over although Thailand is not as bad as Vietnam it can be a little scary at first in the big cities here.

Like other people has said do a lot of practicing out in the countywide.

One rule is "anyone coming up to a main road from a side road they are NOT going to look to his right to see if there is any traffic is coming,they will just ride straight out without stopping if You crash into him its YOUR fault" seems a bit suicidal to me.

Don't forget people also ride on YOUR side of the road on the narrow strip of road ment for bikes/motorbikes.They will ride Fast and Not look at you (then the problem goes away !!!!!)

Just take it easy don't get mad and just think "Everyone Is Trying To Ride/Drive iInto Me" and keep out of everyones way.

Cheers and safe riding.

sam666,

In this thread you said:

I realise that, driving seems to be mental around here but yes, i'm on a tight budget and my dad already has a bike

In another thread you said:

I haven't been that drunk in quite some time and im a student .... I spent about 6grand baht and was drinking glasses of whiskey from inbetween the legs of a lady boy...

Ok, not trying to be overly critical, but I'm worried about you. If you would stop the behavior in the second quote above you could probably afford the Tuk Tuks that you say you can't because you are on a tight budget... 6 grand during a night out on the town does not sound like the behavior of someone on a tight budget. Secondly, if you drink like that, riding a bike is totally out of the question and you should definitely stick to tuk tuks.

If you are going to be here for a while, here are my suggestions. I know people who come each year for two or three months and this is what they do. First, spend a day walking around town talking to tuk tuk drivers who speak English and find one that you can make a deal with for multiple rides and can call on the phone. If they know you are going to be here a while and use them a lot some will give you a discounted price (negotiated in advance for your entire stay) for each ride from your father's house to downtown Hua Hin. Once downtown, there are (covered lime green pickups with a yellow stripe on the side) baht buses that travel up and down Phetkasem road (the main road through town) at least every 20 minutes. You just stand at the curb and wave them over and hop on the back. You can ride as far as you want, ring a bell by pushing a button, hop out and pay the driver 10 baht.

Just a suggestion to keep you safe.

Start in a parking lot or similar

Practice in braking on slippery road or concrete covered with sand, initially only with front brake. Avoid using rearbrake until you are rather skilled.

Practice on avoiding others.

get yourself a thai drivers lisence. Getting caught without bike lisence is not very expensive(2-500 baht), but having an accident without one is.

on road, keep same speed as others, behave as others, use indicators but dont expect anyone to see them

happy riding

sam666,

In this thread you said:

I realise that, driving seems to be mental around here but yes, i'm on a tight budget and my dad already has a bike

In another thread you said:

I haven't been that drunk in quite some time and im a student .... I spent about 6grand baht and was drinking glasses of whiskey from inbetween the legs of a lady boy...

Ok, not trying to be overly critical, but I'm worried about you. If you would stop the behavior in the second quote above you could probably afford the Tuk Tuks that you say you can't because you are on a tight budget... 6 grand during a night out on the town does not sound like the behavior of someone on a tight budget. Secondly, if you drink like that, riding a bike is totally out of the question and you should definitely stick to tuk tuks.

If you are going to be here for a while, here are my suggestions. I know people who come each year for two or three months and this is what they do. First, spend a day walking around town talking to tuk tuk drivers who speak English and find one that you can make a deal with for multiple rides and can call on the phone. If they know you are going to be here a while and use them a lot some will give you a discounted price (negotiated in advance for your entire stay) for each ride from your father's house to downtown Hua Hin. Once downtown, there are (covered lime green pickups with a yellow stripe on the side) baht buses that travel up and down Phetkasem road (the main road through town) at least every 20 minutes. You just stand at the curb and wave them over and hop on the back. You can ride as far as you want, ring a bell by pushing a button, hop out and pay the driver 10 baht.

Just a suggestion to keep you safe.

Ah I can see how you would think that, my bad, I'm here for 3months, i'm here with friends for 3 weeks, after my friends go it's just me and i'll be required to go to training at least 1-2x a day and it's 5km away. I would never drink and drive also, i'd be too scared of having an accident on a bike in Thailand, falling off wearing just shorts and tshirt sounds like a worse nightmare ..

Thanks for the helpful info guys.

Edited by sam666