Dongles In Thailand Whats Best

7robbie7

i need to buy a dongle very soon as i need mobile internet so i can use my laptop sat in the car and for back up in the condo etc

whats the best usb dongle to buy and how much ? also what speed do you get with them

thanks rob

Hi - I'd personally recommend the CAT MiFi 2200 device if you are within CAT's CDMA coverage area.

It's not a dongle but a standalone re-chargeable secure CDMA mobile wifi hotspot which will allow wireless connections from up to five different wifi enabled devices at the same time within a claimed 10m radius.

CAT also claim up to 3.5Mbps data transfer but I've found 1-1.5Mbps to be more realistic.

I've been using one for a couple of months now up around the Sisaket/Ubon area with good results and I've also used it with my laptop on the train down to Bangkok although the connection dies completely when you get to within about 1 hour of BKK - I guess CAT do not have the infrastructure and/or the necessary licences to operate in the BKK area.

The device itself costs a one-off 8000 THB from CAT then you pay about 800 THB/mth for an unlimited data contract

If you Google "MiFi 2200" you'll get a better idea of what this device is all about - it's made by Alcatel and is very small and light, you can easily carry it in a shirt breast pocket although it does get a bit hot with heavy usage! - expect around four hours operation with a fully charged battery but, of course, you can run it indefinitely when it's connected to it's charger.

If you are not within CAT's coverage area then please ignore all of the preceding............................!

Good luck.

DTAC AirCard "Life is Colorful" 2700 baht incl 3 months 100h/month but that was 6 months ago.

Works fine max 3.6 Mbps... never had it that quick though... As previously said half is more realistic

Martin

DTAC AirCard "Life is Colorful" 2700 baht incl 3 months 100h/month but that was 6 months ago.

Works fine max 3.6 Mbps... never had it that quick though... As previously said half is more realistic

Martin

DTAC doesn't have 3G. How it is you are getting 1.8Mbps?

Martin

DTAC doesn't have 3G. How it is you are getting 1.8Mbps?

This was painful... You are absolutely right... Spoke to loud again...

Obviously I never could have had that speed with the DTAC Aircard and must have confused with speed tests I have made when I connect to True Wifi spots as I do if they are available.

I apologize and thank you very much for pointing this out. :jap:

Martin

Edited by siamect

... on the train down to Bangkok although the connection dies completely when you get to within about 1 hour of BKK - I guess CAT do not have the infrastructure and/or the necessary licences to operate in the BKK area

I run an Ovation MC760 on CATs CDMA, gives you true 3g on wireless internet with 1,7 Mbps up on VisaSpeedtest, but:

It only works in 57 provinces! After I came back from BKK some time ago & complained to my Khorat CAT people they

shamefully produced a photostat with the 57 live provinces, the remaining parts are no- licence areas for CAT. As a rough

indication, it works up north and in the south - it does not work in BKK, surrounding provinces incl. Chonburi/Pattaya and

further east. Going to BKK from the north, it blacks out in Saraburi already