Speedboats collision on Koh Samui, Thailand

womble

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more than 30 ambulances and rescue vehicles at Petcherat, also many police.

I hear two boats were speeding along in the storm and hit each other due to reduced visibility from the rain.

Maybe as many as 50-70 on the two boats.

The water is very rough I hope they have jackets on, I can't see how a wooden boat moving at speed, hitting another at equal speed could be anything other than obliterated.

I know a few going tonight, hope they are ok......

There are more than 30 ambulances and rescue vehicles at Petcherat, also many police.

I hear two boats were speeding along in the storm and hit each other due to reduces vis from the rain.

Maybe as many as 50-70 on the two boats.

The water is very rough I hope they have jackets on, I can't see how a wooden boat moving at speed, hitting another at equal speed could be anything other than obliterated.

I know a few going tonight, hope they are ok......

my mrs has just rang me to inform of this, obviuosly no details as yet, i remember the last tim iti happened in banrak , just after tsunami, 16 died that night, can only hope this is nothng simlar

Thanks for info. Are you near the scene, wombie?

I was there 20 mins ago, loads of rescue waiting, I bumped into a friend he told me all he knew which wasn't much and often in these early stages not accurate, I can say he said 67 people on the two boats 7 bodies recovered and on their way back, now I must stress this could easily be 7 people recovered on their way back safely, like I said it's two early to tell and often info is very unreliable I've left the scene, just before I got home though I stopped at 7/11, three ambulances rushed past heading back towards hospitals, (maybe the first brough back to dry land), 5 mins later they were on their way back to the scene, passing me by my house, near the hospitals. With 30 odd ambulances, going back they will be end of the Q, so they must be expecting extra work.

Ambulances and police arriving from all directions, it looks like every ambulance on the island is there plus many rescue.

Vis is poor, it is very rough, and being full moon the tide will be very strong between the two shallow islands.

This could be real bad.........

Edited by womble

39 tourists were injured, 2 went missing when 2 speed boats collided off Koh Phangan at 11:45 pm Saturday night. /via @paisal_nt

The boats were transporting tourists to the Fullmoon party on Koh Phangan. The collision happened about 2 or 3 kms from the island. /via @paisal_nt

Two of the tourists were severely injured with head wounds. The injured were rushed to Thai Inter, Ban Don Inter Hosp, and Bangkok Hospital. /via @paisal_nt

2 missing, 39 injured in Full-Moon Party boat collision of Phangan

Two speedboats taking Thai and foreign tourists to attend the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan collided off the island late Saturday night, injuring 39 people.

Jor Sor 100 Traffic Radio station reported that the accident happened at 11:45 pm about two or three kilometers before the two boats reached the Rin Beach to deliver their passengers.

The collision caused the boats to overthrow, and such throwing the passengers into the sea.

Two of them went missing.

Two of the injured were in severe condition with serious head injuries.

The injured were rushed to the Thai Inter Hospital, Ban Don Inter Hospital and Bangkok Hospital in Surat Thani.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-27

Australians hurt in Thai boat cruise collision

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: -- The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) says seven Australians have been injured after two cruise boats collided off the Thai island of Koh Samui.

The Department says those on board were taking moonlight cruises as part of Full Moon celebrations.

Drew Oliver is a friend of one of the injured Australians whose name is Katie.

He says he has been in touch with her mother:

"There had been an accident last night at Koh Samui; her daughter and a number of others were taken to hospital," he said.

"Her daughter has back injuries and there's one girl who has brain injuries. Her father is on a plane to Thailand now and obviously her mother is spinning like a top trying to work out what to do next."

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/06/27/2938093.htm

-- ABC News 2010-06-27

Is the second reported tragedy (plus several unreported accidents) caused by speedboats bringing people to the Full Moon Party from Koh Samui.

The whole speed boat system is controlled by the local small mafia and the old wooden speedboats overcrowded by passenger are driven by young skippers without any proper preparation or sea knowledge, most of time high on yabaa and alcohol, always full throttle to make more runs and get more $$$$$.

Mr Kao in KPG is owner of 3 25/30 mt boat but those boat made only few trips.

IMHO the local Coast Guard or whoever in charge of the maritime safety should not allow this kind of speedboats to cross the strait between KPG and Samui and leave the job to the big, slow boat only.

But money rules...

• Like 1

Not to defend the under-trained skippers, but it was a hel_l of a storm last night,

and this is not terribly suprising considering conditions, even on the far end of the island

it was bad, and I personally would not have gone to sea in anything small without radar.

I hope the find the missing, but it seems doubtful at this point.

I'll hold off on the RIP till we know more.

Another tragedy for Thailand. RIP

It looks like the boat-owners ignoring the storm-warning!

We had many lightnings and thunders last night!

I'm very sadly surprised about this tragic news!

Edited by webfact

I went to the full moon party last month , it was 600 baht there and back on the speed boat, we wore life jacket, which were checked to see if they were buckeled up on the way there ...but not the way back.

Was very professional, noone had to stand on the boad a seat for all , and others had to wait for the next boat...i was surprised at how good that was.

Also they kept teling us to sit down on the way home when we wanted to do titanic style stand ups. so they arent ALL as bad as you think.

I went to the full moon party last month , it was 600 baht there and back on the speed boat, we wore life jacket, which were checked to see if they were buckeled up on the way there ...but not the way back.

Was very professional, noone had to stand on the boad a seat for all , and others had to wait for the next boat...i was surprised at how good that was.

Also they kept teling us to sit down on the way home when we wanted to do titanic style stand ups. so they arent ALL as bad as you think.

I agree.

It is a terrible incident to have taken place and my thoughts are with all those involved and there families also.

I wonder how many trips they do between KS & KP per year, a lot I would say with not many or any accidents at all.

Simple fact there would be more Tourist killed on motorbikes not wearing helmets and riding drunk - than in a speed boat going to the full moon party, so I don't think that these boats are that dangerous at all.

It was a very big storm that hit the area last night. I live at the far north end of the island and I can usually see the lights of Koh Phangnan clearly. Last night when the storm hit we could not see KPN at all, and huge winds hit the area.

The storm hit at about 10 pm and all boats were stopped.

The accident happened at about 11.45pm when the storm had all but blown over. There was only light rain by then.

Hope that the injured recover OK. (There has not been call out for blood donors. When there is an major accident I usually get an SMS for donors)

Is the second reported tragedy (plus several unreported accidents) caused by speedboats bringing people to the Full Moon Party from Koh Samui.

The whole speed boat system is controlled by the local small mafia and the old wooden speedboats overcrowded by passenger are driven by young skippers without any proper preparation or sea knowledge, most of time high on yabaa and alcohol, always full throttle to make more runs and get more $$$$$.

IMHO the local Coast Guard or whoever in charge of the maritime safety should not allow this kind of speedboats to cross the strait between KPG and Samui and leave the job to the big, slow boat only.

But money rules...

Nothing but rant, anguid.... sorry for the victims - as someone else wrote "A hel_l of a storm" the accident appeared to happen just 3 k'licks off the haad rin coast.... ist (approx.) 1/3 of the distance... and disaster stroke - a hel_l of a storm with heavy lightning, thunder nd heavy donwpours, very low visibilty, can't drive these boats slowly, the become unmanagaeable, very, very strong gust's involved too...so go an figure NOTHING to do with "Mafia"...drugs, alcohol, yes there might be some elements, some, but it's by far NOT the majority - this is painting a distorted picture of the people and businesses which are trying to do their best and this is the MAJORITY!

The whole speed boat system is controlled by the local small mafia and the old wooden speedboats overcrowded by passenger are driven by young skippers without any proper preparation or sea knowledge, most of time high on yabaa and alcohol, always full throttle to make more runs and get more $$$.

But money rules...

Nothing but rant, anguid.... sorry for the victims - as someone else wrote "A hel_l of a storm" the accident appeared to happen just 3 k'licks off the haad rin coast.... ist (approx.) 1/3 of the distance... and disaster stroke - a hel_l of a storm with heavy lightning, thunder nd heavy donwpours, very low visibilty, can't drive these boats slowly, the become unmanagaeable, very, very strong gust's involved too...so go an figure NOTHING to do with "Mafia"...drugs, alcohol, yes there might be some elements, some, but it's by far NOT the majority - this is painting a distorted picture of the people and businesses which are trying to do their best and this is the MAJORITY!

Agree - Locals doing business!!! Trying to make a living!!!

Living in Haad rin 9 years and owning a speedboat myself, I cannot but confirm the lack of safety and the almost total indifference for the basic safety measures (one of which is don't leave the pier if the sea is rough). Shit happens and after only the families of the missing care about and the rest of the people and the speedboats owners just thinking the next full moon.

Sorry but talk about professionalism of the speed boats owners and skippers (big term for guys just driving a boat) is a bit excessive.

Anyway everybody is entitled to his opinion, so, as witness of many crazy behaviors and accidents in the last few years, I just say that the speedboats trips for the Full Moon are part of the same, huge problem ol lack of safety and professionalism for a better profit.

UPDATE

Speedboat Accident, 39 Injured at least 2 Missing in Thailand

At least 2 people have been confirmed missing following a speedboat accident off the coast of Thailand’s tourist resort island of Koh Samui on Saturday night. The two boats had been travelling to the nearby island of Koh Phangan for the popular full moon party.

Thailand, the 26th of June 2010 [PDN]: Early reports suggest that up to 70 people may have been involved in the accident with 39 confirmed injuries and at least 2 people thought to be missing.

The collision, at approximately 11:00pm, involved two speedboats transporting tourists to the island of Koh Phangan from Koh Samui for the monthly full moon party. Heavy rain and low visibility is believed to be a significant factor in the accident.

At present the nationalities of the involved tourists are largely unknown, the Australian press report at least 7 Aussies involved in the incident, however this is yet to have been confirmed.

Eyewitnesses to the resultant scene after the accident report upwards of 30 ambulance, rescue and emergency services attending the incident, whilst all victims are thought to have been transported to local hospitals on Koh Samui or the Bangkok International Hospital on the mainland.

Drew Oliver, a friend of one of the injured Australians, Katie, stated that he had been in touch with her mother to explain as best possible the accident which took place. Reportedly the woman had suffered back injuries in the accident whilst another victim reportedly suffered brain injuries.

More HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-06-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Live Twitter updates from The Nation:

39 tourists were injured, 2 went missing when 2 speed boats collided off Koh Phangan at 11:45 pm Saturday night.

The time of accident also changed. The reporter said it happened at 20 minutes past midnight.

The boats were transporting tourists to the Fullmoon party on Koh Phangan. The collision happened about 2 or 3 kms from the island.

Two of the tourists were severely injured with head wounds. The injured were rushed to Thai Inter, Ban Don Inter Hosp, and Bangkok Hospital.

A boat was returning to Samui while the other was heading to Pha Ngan and collided head-on.

The boat that was leaving Pha Ngan had 25 tourists on board. The other boat had 39 tourists on board.

Fortunately, other speed boats saw the accident and rushed in to help the crew and passengers in time.

Surat Governor Damri Boonjing confirmed that no one was killed.

According to our Surat reporter, all injured tourists are now safe in hospitals on Koh Samui.

29 tourists were admitted to Bangkok Samui Hospital, 6 in Bandon Inter Samui Hospital and 5 in Thai Inter Samui Hospital.

The accident happened at about 2 km away from Koh Pha Ngan. Full Moon Party continued until the morning.

via paisai_nt: Prawet Supachai, chief of Samui Marine Transport office said all tourists were wearing air jacket so they could be plugged out of water. Prawet was on one of the boats and was among the severed injured persons.

Update:

40 injured in boat collision off Pha Ngan

By Suwanee Banthisak

Surat Thani

Senior local officials insist no one killed in boat accident off Pha Ngan

SURAT THANI: -- The Surat Thani governor and Pha Nga police chief insisted Sunday that no one was killed or went missing in the boat accident off Koh Pha Ngan late Saturday night, which injured 40 people.

The 40 injured people were admitted to three hospitals on Koh Samui.

The accident happened at about 20 minutes after midnight about two kilometers away from the island where a full moon party was being held on the Rin Beach Saturday night.

The Phetcharat 59, a speed boat, was ferrying 25 tourists from Rin Beach back to Samui when it collided head-on with Chalerm Choknava 5, which was taking 39 tourists from Samui to attend the full moon party.

Prawet Supachai, chief of Samui Marine Transport Office, said he was on the Phetcharat 59 when the accident occurred.

He said the collision sounded very loud and the bows of the two boats were broken into pieces, causing the two boats to sink very fast.

Prawet said it was fortunate that a patrol boat of the Surat Thani Marine Police came to rescue the tourists and crew very fast. Other speed boats nearby also rushed in to help.

He said he had earlier instructed officials at piers to make sure that all passengers of speed boat wear air jackets so they could be recued fast without anyone being killed.

Surat Thani Governor Damri Boonjit said no one was killed in the accident, which would have no impact on the tourism on Pha Ngan and Samui islands.

He said police were investigating the case.

Pol Col Jarun Uchuparp, chief of the Pha Ngan police station said police were interrogating crew of the two speed boats. The crew insisted no one was killed or went missing, Jarun said.

Twenty-nine tourists were admitted to the Bangkok Samui Hospitsal, 6 to Bandon Inter Samui Hospital and 5 other to Thai Inter Samui Hospital.

The accident did not disrupt the party that continued until the morning. By 8 am, many foreign tourists were seen lying apparently drunk on the Rin Beach.

The Full Moon Party on Pha Ngan is well-known as the venue for tourists to come for drinks and dancing all night long.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-06-27

Surat Thani Governor Damri Boonjit said no one was killed in the

accident, which would have no impact on the tourism on Pha Ngan and

Samui islands.<br>

<br>

He said police were investigating the case.

nice to see he has his priorities right :blink:

Not " we are doing all we can to help the injured and will make certain nothing like this happens again". He would rather just infer that it will have no impact on tourism.

Edited by george
formatting
  • Like 2