Have You Bought An All-In-One Printer Thingie In Thailand Recently?

Jingthing

I am in the market for an all-in-one printer thingie. It must print/copy/scan/fax and be compatible with Win 7, 32 and 64 bit. Have you bought one recently? What model and are you happy with it?

So far have only really looked at the Epson TX300F but the online reviews are kind of lukewarm, so wonder if I should go with another brand.

This is price range I want also, cheapie, 3.5 to 5K baht range.

Edited by Jingthing

I would check out the Canon MP180 or so (they change the number slightly periodicly } with the ink tanks. It is cheap and prints quite fair photos and good text. Comes with useful software ( may need to download the US version from the site) Which lets you scan and save as pdf or ocr. It is a little slow but I would use that as the base one and if you need faster spend about 4000 on the canon model that prints double sided. It is fast but does not have a scanner. You do not need the ones with fancy preview screens and such. Inktanks work well and are cheap.

Edited by harrry

Around here I have Cannon, Epson and Lexmark. Of these, only the Lexmark will send and receive faxes. The others require you to scan and fax from the PC.

I don't notice any print quality difference among them but the Cannon prints faster.

I have an Epson CX5500 AIO. I think I've spent more on ink cartridge replacements than for the printer itself.

Each ink cartridge has a chip that estimates how much ink has been used, on startup. It does not measure the real ink level. Epson says this is a benefit for the customer, because it reduces printer damage.

I think it's a sneaky way to sell more ink! However, I do like the scanner.

Edited by rijb

We use the Canon MX328 as a fax machine, but it has copy, scan, print as well. We've been happy with it as a fax, but we do use two Samsung lasers for printing and copying so I can't really comment on it's printing qualities. Only thing I ever printed on it was a bunch of passport photos on photo paper, that was excellent quality.

On a sidenote it's possible to get those external ink tanks for this model, we don't use it, but I've seen it elsewhere.

We use the Canon MX328 as a fax machine, but it has copy, scan, print as well. We've been happy with it as a fax, but we do use two Samsung lasers for printing and copying so I can't really comment on it's printing qualities. Only thing I ever printed on it was a bunch of passport photos on photo paper, that was excellent quality.

On a sidenote it's possible to get those external ink tanks for this model, we don't use it, but I've seen it elsewhere.

I would not buy a printer without the external ink tanks. It is far too expensive to use original cartriges and although the ink in the originals may be better the difference is small for all but archive purposes.

I bought a Canon MX318 for at home....with an ink tank system...

The Ink tank system sucked it would always get stuck, jam up etc.. So i eventually pulled the ink system off and just use the printer with regular ink cartridges and it works fine (but costs a lot for ink).

At the office we bought a Brother MFC (something-something), at the same time as the Canon; similar price range.

This also had an ink tank system. We use this printer *a lot* and it works great with the ink system...saves as a ton of money.

The kicker is that the ink tank shop was adamant that the Canon was better...and convinced me to get 1 Canon instead of 2 Brother printers...in hindsight they probably do that so they get repair revenue every couple of months when you have to bring it back in for new parts.

If you do a lot of printing i'd recommend the Brother with an Ink system. If you only use the printer every once in a while then the Canon without ink system is pretty good (does better quality photo printing)...But don't get a low volume Canon with an ink system!

A previous thread on TV had people saying that Brother printers are much cheaper to run, I have not looked into it but certainly will next time I buy a printer.

here's a link to a comparison of 78 printers including cost per page, use a translator if you don't speak french.

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/couts-page-78-imprimantes-117-configurations-cartouches-article-1050.html

I have a Samsung SCX 4200 - but it doesn't have fax but not many people use faxes now when e-mail is so much better and u have an electronic record.? It is also laser and is so much cheaper to run. The only thing i don't like is it does not have a auto feeder for copying or scanner as i scan all my important documents for back-up and filing.The cost was considerably more for an model with an auto feeder when i bought it a few years back. I am hoping to replace it with a colour model (Samsung ) soon

A previous thread on TV had people saying that Brother printers are much cheaper to run, I have not looked into it but certainly will next time I buy a printer.

Absolutely, we had a Brother MFC 7240 for 5 years until it faulted (now fixed and on the kids LAN) and recently brought the newer Brother MFC 7340 to replace it and it works with all MS Windows OS (both 32 and 64 bit / XP /Vista and Win 7) and most flavours of Linux.

Seems to me that it's a false economy to buy a cheap ink jet printer. Better off paying the extra for a laser printer. Will save you in the long run.

Maybe true for B/W but be very careful with colour laser, cheap colour lasers are very expensive to run.

Seems to me that it's a false economy to buy a cheap ink jet printer. Better off paying the extra for a laser printer. Will save you in the long run.

Maybe true for B/W but be very careful with colour laser, cheap colour lasers are very expensive to run.

Interesting.

Expensive to run in what way and under what conditions?

I bought the Canon MF4370dn black and white laser printer. I noted there was a telephone handset which could be ordered as an accessory so I did. That was at the beginning of January and I am still waiting for it. Yes I have made numerous enquiries even to Singapore. So if its service you require choose another make.

Have canon, brother and epson all-in-one printers, They all work fairly well.

But as other have mentioned do not buy the Canon with a outside tank system...it works for awhile then need service and the circle goes on.

The brother tank system is "integrated", its just basically larger cartridges with a fill in plug and works much more reliable.

The Canon MP 250 doesn't appear to support faxing. Faxing is the most important feature for me, so that's out. I don't actually print very much so cost per page isn't a big concern. A simple fax machine costs almost as much as a cheap all-in-one and I need a new printer anyway due to Win 7 compatibility issues with my old printer. I wasn't even aware of the ink tanks options. Anyway, some good info to think about here, for me and others. One thing I really don't want is fax via software; I want the fax and the scan to be controlled on the hardware.

The Canon MP 250 doesn't appear to support faxing. Faxing is the most important feature for me, so that's out. I don't actually print very much so cost per page isn't a big concern. A simple fax machine costs almost as much as a cheap all-in-one and I need a new printer anyway due to Win 7 compatibility issues with my old printer. I wasn't even aware of the ink tanks options. Anyway, some good info to think about here, for me and others. One thing I really don't want is fax via software; I want the fax and the scan to be controlled on the hardware.

I dot not like them much but look at hp if you want fullly controlled fax