Suvarnabhumi Airport Now Has Another Competitor

midas

So for those travellers going onto Nepal and even other Asian

countries who want an alternative to Singapore and Bangkok,

now there is one and it sounds impressive.

And no need to worry about being framed by King Power on the way out :whistling:

The humongous new Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport that opens July 3 will have all the amenities for passenger travel comfort, including the highest number of aerobridges in the world at a single site - 78. It is almost eight times more than what the present international terminal has.

The pictures look good.

http://www.google.co.th/images?hl=en&q=pictures+of+the+new+terminal+3+in+delhi&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=sp8oTNn7As2FrAez1N31BA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB8QsAQwAA

Although Suvarnabhumi is a great looking airport, it is mind boggling that we had to walk through the pouring rain after coming from Phuket yesterday, lightly dressed, all people standing soaked in the bus....amazing hub ...things like that should have been planned for because it is these small details that people notice when judging the quality of an airport.

Now comes a train that leaves from Makassan at THB 150 per person, so with our family of 3 it would be THB 450 + taxi to Makassan while for THB 300 I can get a brand new taxi from my front door to the airport....

After 20 years here still amazed at the overall long term infrastructure planning:-)

• 1 month later...

I was in Delhi last October but it wasn't finished. But I did go through the new domestic terminal and was pleased to see these laptop stations (I assume the new international terminal also has them). You're provided with lan cable and mains socket. All for free! And no time limit, and as my flight was delayed 2 hours that's the very first time I didn't mind the wait.

Now why can't more airports have them.

Another thoughtful service provided at Indian airports is mobile phone charging stations, also for free.

post-9642-043098300 1281520240_thumb.jpg

post-9642-073179600 1281520248_thumb.jpg

I don't understand how the new New Dehli terminal is a competitor?

I cannot see many people switching to an Indian airline with a transit or stopover in Dehli (as compared with BKK, DXB or SIN) just because there is a new terminal. Seems absurd as saying that people suddenly changed their flight patterns once the new airport in BKK opened.

Most people don't suddenly chose to fly through a city just because of a new airport (KL showed that). Price, schedule, service, transit times, regional attractions and destinations are much more important factors. People might chose to avoid an airport with a poor reputation and delays such as LHR but I hardly think that TG, SG and CX are going to nervous about the idea of losing regional transit pax to an airline using Delhi.

If the Indian govt wants to get a few more transit/stop over pax then introdusing a VOA withe flexible conditions make it easier to do so.

I cannot see many people switching to an Indian airline with a transit or stopover in Dehli (as compared with BKK, DXB or SIN) just because there is a new terminal.

Well you may be wrong there. My next UK flight is through Delhi, mainly because the Indian airlines are offering much lower prices than the Middle East airlines. If you can couple a low price with a new (and well working) transit terminal maybe a lot of people will switch over.

I will checkout the new terminal next month and report back on the transit experience.

I cannot see many people switching to an Indian airline with a transit or stopover in Dehli (as compared with BKK, DXB or SIN) just because there is a new terminal.

Well you may be wrong there. My next UK flight is through Delhi, mainly because the Indian airlines are offering much lower prices than the Middle East airlines. If you can couple a low price with a new (and well working) transit terminal maybe a lot of people will switch over.

I will checkout the new terminal next month and report back on the transit experience.

"...just because there is a new terminal" and read the context of the sentence my reply to the OP.

I could be wrong for sure however your reason does not challenge my suggestion. Your indicating that your flying that way due to a lower price NOT because Dehli has a new terminal.

Edited by Lakegeneve