How Does A Farang Make Money- Isaan

Vegemite

Are most of their visitors Thai looking for that western experience in their backyard? My wife plans to build an American style farm house and open a B&B. I see most of our guest (if we get any) to be Thais or the up and coming upper middle class from China.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A guest house in Isaan is certainly feasible but making money with a guesthouse in Isaan is another question entirely.  Does anyone here have any stories about how much money some farang has made running a guest house in Isaan?  Does anyone here have any stories about some farang that went broke with a guesthouse in Isaan?

And since you describe yourself as a 'lowly carpenter' I will assume that you have no great desire or ability to run a business.  If I am correct in this assumption then there probably isn't any way that you can make money in Isaan.

There are many many 6-10 room bungalows around here making very good money. Run by wifes of falang husbands with falangs controlling the business in the background. They never engage themself directly in the business. Visitors are mainly middle class Thais from far locations not wanting to stay with in laws over night. Others are Thai sales men or engineers traveling. This visitors do not mind to spend THB 400 for a decent shower and aircon.

Occupancy around 90 %. Return of investment 5-7 years.

All real facts, no storries. But keep in mind strict control and cleaning required otherwise customers talk and never come back.

PS: I have seen many dirty bungalows getting out of business soon.

I have 2 large lakes on the road Buriram-Surin, only a few metres off the heighway and 5 KMs outside Buriram, my idea was to open a fishing park with a garden centre, play area for the kids, and a small resturant, when a fish is caught you can charge by the kilo, i would have palms all planted around and fishing platforms, and thatched huts where people could sit and relax.

TC , in israel that kind of thing goes over big time during the holiday and summer season; i just thought that 'adventure' tourism was expanding..... i.e. people coming to thailand etc and dont want the drink on the beach experience, they want the 'rural, milk the cow, feed the chicken, but not get up at 4:00 am to do so... experience'.... from my own tourist experience here (israel), it seems clients with kids want 'non virtual experiences' i.e. pay money to get a bit dirty, but at the end of the day, they want modern conveniences with a 'meet a real kibbutznik with manure on boots etc ':D :D:D even thought a large majority of us here are high tec or office types! they want farm fresh eggs, sing alongs at night, wagon rides, and hot showers and a.c. w/video and dvd at the same time... and a lot are over seas tourists (anglos, etc)

like: people would pay to work a few hours in a rice field (the farmer loses the rice but makes money on the tourism... tourists dont know how to pick any fruit or veggie); or herd some cows, etc, learn 'traditional arts'... there's a woman here that goes to india every year with this type of project; she has people there that have 'ethnic' houses w/modern conveniences too and i have older women friends that paid exorbitant sums to be 'ethnic' for 10 days, learn to weave, make mud houses etc.... actually people here have asked me why i dont try somthing like that = i'm just not a very pushy business person :o .......by the time i get to issaan , issaan may not be so rural, etc....

frankly, here too every other farm set up something similar to this; i've been to a lot of these places (industrial sort of espionage).... some real holes in the middle of no where in the desert that are really making it, due to the cleanliness, or personality type of the owners (mom and pop opereations all of them), some are veggie only (shanti style), some are newlywed gettaways, and some, even in great locations, just dont seem to make it...i gueass this is applicable in any country where the area of set up is not prime tourist location... u have to be able to sell the 'lack' : not too much traffic, peaceful, rural, quaint, natural, far from the 'regular tourist'... etc...

i remember looking for something along these lines when i went to thailand, it was all either coutnry club prices and style, or total ethnic immersion, a la gap year style... and visiting friends of course

RC thats good to know about hte goats, if and when it becomes a reality... actually my friend also worked the mini zoo (back when we had native wild animals and exotics) for four years while in israel so double experience !

A guest house in Isaan is certainly feasible but making money with a guesthouse in Isaan is another question entirely.  Does anyone here have any stories about how much money some farang has made running a guest house in Isaan?  Does anyone here have any stories about some farang that went broke with a guesthouse in Isaan?

And since you describe yourself as a 'lowly carpenter' I will assume that you have no great desire or ability to run a business.  If I am correct in this assumption then there probably isn't any way that you can make money in Isaan.

There are many many 6-10 room bungalows around here making very good money. Run by wifes of falang husbands with falangs controlling the business in the background. They never engage themself directly in the business. Visitors are mainly middle class Thais from far locations not wanting to stay with in laws over night. Others are Thai sales men or engineers traveling. This visitors do not mind to spend THB 400 for a decent shower and aircon.

All real facts, no storries. But keep in mind strict control and cleaning required otherwise customers talk and never come back.

90% occupancy on a year round basis is phenomenal!!!!! Can you give us the names of a few of these bungalow establishments? I'm kind of wondering if they have exagerated their occupancy rates though.....90% in a rural area????

A "falang" bar, resteraunt, you could spin off doing house rentals/sales car moterbike rentles, internet  sell "falang" foods ect, It would have to be in a fairly big town with a lot of falangs though.... mabye somewhere like Surin :D  :o

Funnily enough, with all the falangs moving up here there is an opening for a falang guest house/hotel, renting long term rooms. Someone asked me about it yesterday, but apart from our local English builder putting up four bungalows there is nothing. We have too much on our plate really to go into that, but we have a waiting list of 8 falangs waiting for properties to come free.There are 22 hotels/appartments/condos in Surin now, but none of them cater for the falang. The nearest is Mile Place, which a lot of the farangs use. We are extending the pub in the next couple of months and might have one or two rooms going, but that will be all. And then only for friends. Come on up and have a look round.

I guess that Lampard10 is incommunicado right now..... :D

I am sure he will have something to say soon..... :o

Just read that bit now. We have another couple opening here soon, but if you read on, I fully endorse someone opening another establishment here. Especcially if it's somewhere my customers can stay :D

And vegamite look in http://www.farangconnection.awebspace.com

Edited by lampard10

Here in Nong Khai the only place for a guesthouse is near the town with all the visa run guys passing through.

You would have to be an idiot to set up a guesthouse anywhere else in Nong Khai as no one passes through or comes to visit sites.

Edited by aletta

Here in Nong Khai the only place for a guesthouse is near the town with all the visa run guys passing through.

You would have to be an idiot to set up a guesthouse anywhere else in Nong Khai as no one passes through or comes to visit sites.

It's a shame that people don't spend a couple of days around Nong Khai. There's enough for two days at least but most people are heading to Lao and they arrive on the train and immediately jump across the river to Vientienne and stay there. I've been to Vientienne a few times and frankly I find the Nong Khai area much more enjoyable than Vientienne...

90% occupancy on a year round basis is phenomenal!!!!! Can you give us the names of a few of these bungalow establishments? I'm kind of wondering if they have exagerated their occupancy rates though.....90% in a rural area????

Roi-et and the sorounding small cities are not so rural anymore. Look at Selapum, Bontong etc etc As mentioned there is a new tendency of middle class Thai travelleres wanting to use good accomodation. But more than 40 % of all bungalow and guesthouses here are out of business because they can not cater for customers needs as mentioned above.

PS: Promotion for these bungalows, guesthouses is not permitted in this forum.

Roi-et and the sorounding small cities are not so rural anymore. Look at Selapum, Bontong etc etc As mentioned there is a new tendency of middle class Thai travelleres wanting to use good accomodation. But more than 40 % of all bungalow and guesthouses here are out of business because they can not cater for customers needs as mentioned above.

I haven't seen it in the thread and I hate to be a wet towel, for someone who wants a simple life and is willing to work for it. You mentioned you were living in a Kubitz with no income. Thailand has very specific requirements for staying here married or otherwise, you would be wise to research that aspect of your plan as well. I hope your dream comes true.

I was wrong to describe Roe-et as rural. I've been there and it is much nicer and more developed than I had originally imagined. I'm interested in finding these places. Can you PM me with the names and some phone numbers?

alletta,

that is just my point, there are tourists who will pay money to 'see' nothing i.e. the real thing the way it was, to experience fully the country etc etc (ecotourism no?)

why do so many people go traipsing out to the dessert (city corporate types) pay tons of money to sit in a pseudo beduin tent and meditate? they could do the same thing at home for free.

its atmosphere... so i guess the key is targeting the audience, selling the idea and then getting them to pay up (the hardest part usually)... after all, most tourism is selling a myth of one sort or an other (what, we dont have beaches palm trees sun etc), what makes your beach etc better/more desirable....

as i work in tourism (amusement park thingy) i've learnt to ask all these questions; there are many places like ours, how to sell the one thing that will make peoplw want to be here, and not there.... what is special about here?

the two weeks that i travelled in issaan, i didnt visit one 'tourist' site... i sat on the back of a motorbike w/friend and we just drove (ok udonthani once yuck yuck , orchid farm , nongkhai once).... back at home, people were fascinated by my pics, etc... only the old farts asked what did i actaully 'see' (well known temples etc),

i guess local colour is the word...people are hungry for the last of the 'primitive' quaint etc.... u just have to sell it with clean bathrooms, hot water and dual menu (home style vs. tourist preference)...

ray; i pm'd u

i;m allowed to dream no??

that is just my point, there are tourists who will pay money to 'see' nothing

bina,i certainly take your point,but such people are in the minority,are they not?A small fraction of total visitors?If you have a guesthouse with say eight rooms you want to fill it everyday if possible.If you are doing nothing it helps to have a great vista.I will never forget doing nothing on top of an Alp.Stunning.

On the subject of goats,is there single web site that covers goat husbandry in a Thai climate?

Edited by aletta

You would have to be an idiot to set up a guesthouse anywhere else in Nong Khai

The town is the only place with any life at all.As for that guesthouse in Phon Phisai,the less said the better.I see that it's up for sale at six and a half million Baht a rai with no prospect of any guests!!That's more expensive than beach front on Samui.

Isaan village guesthouse for sale

Edited by madmadang

if someone set up a decent homestay/small guesthouse halfway between kk & korat, i would frequent it for a couple weeks a year as staying at the mil's is a pain in ass what with the giant mossies & no aircon & the hassle one normally gets from a mil :o

13 million Baht for seven guestrooms.Thats five star prices.If it's not a going concern then you could divide the land into three but that would be Four and a half million Baht for two thirds of a rai.

I see some farmers are making cash by selling organic chillies to Tesco.Trouble is putting all your eggs in one ruthless basket.

funny u all should mention but was talking witht he guys here along the lines of 'what if...' i.e. what if the kibbutz falls apart etc etc and i will be old with no one to support me... so two guys offerred land to rent, build a small thai style house, and do 'guest house'... i'll drag in all the israelis looking for cheap travel.... wont u all love me then 55555555....

one area near nong khai, the other near udon thani areas....i tell u all what...

u build the house... i'll find the israelis, u give me commission, and u deal with the tourists at your end... i'll  deal with the flak when they come back home to gripe and complain (they always always do )...

just when i was getting excited about an idea.... havnt tourists discoverd issan yet?

I reckon that if you don't have the money or pension to stay here you should not be here. 8 years ago there were only a couple of farang bars in Udon. Harry's', Erwyn's and TG's. Now there are about 20 farang bars. This is because there have been too many farangs coming on holiday and thinking that a bar is the answere to thier financial problems. In Nong Khai there was at the last count, about 26 bars. Again farangs coming to town and thinking they can scratch a living by opening a bar. In most cases it's a shack. Most of these bars whether it be in Udon or Nong Khai are frequented by thier rivals, who take alternate nights off to go and spy on other bars. About 1% of farangs make it with bars. If they are truthful they will admit it. Look at the amount who have packed in and went home,it's too many to remember. Many young guys come here and try to settle with thier "two week" holiday t'luck when they should be back in thier own country paying into a pension for thier retirement years. (The small head rules)

I have said this before and many of the older residents have heard it also. There is only one way to leave Thailand with a small fortune. The answere is to come here with a BIG fortune. If there was a fortune to be made in Thailand it would be made by a Thai.

I bet there is a bit of slagging about this. Be truthful before you reply.

At last a man who truly knows what its all about, Well said.

A "falang" bar, resteraunt, you could spin off doing house rentals/sales car moterbike rentles, internet  sell "falang" foods ect, It would have to be in a fairly big town with a lot of falangs though.... mabye somewhere like Surin :D  :o

Actually If there was somewhere like that near me they would probably make a tidy living as people would drive  from far around to go there.... mabye.  The other option is cows.

yep, i think that's exactly what they need in Surin ... :D